Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locks Changed - Squatters ???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

antix80 wrote: »
    Making. Stuff. Up

Why

Where does this nonsense come from?

The first bit was a question, the op posted the rest.
    locksdown wrote: »
    So came "home" to find both my front and back door locks changed, no real sign of anyone living in house

pretty much... it was like boarding the marie celeste, but no rubbish etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hi looking for advice, have had let a house sit idle for period and haven't been able to go there with lockdown & work & housemates cocooning etc. So came "home" to find both my front and back door locks changed, no real sign of anyone living in house (water and electric not connected) small damage interior damage that didn't make any logical sense and some random furniture added to my house - ie not a bed or table - again which didn't make any sense... no sign that anyone sleeping there etc.
    Obviously locksmiths booked, guards called but just wondering has anyone come across anything similar ???

Is it possible to spend some time in the house randomly. So whom ever is doing this sees you about. Go down and basically camp in the house at random.

I've had to do this with vacant houses in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Can you set up a hidden trail camera? That way you can see who is going to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ill check with local couriers also... no neighbours close to house, house out on its own in the country.
    How many people would it sleep? Check AirBnB, etc.
    I'm the fool paying the mortgage so I'd like to hope it will be mine at some point like... :)
    Check your mortgage T&C; could the insurance be void if no-one has being living there for a certain amount of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Put an Android phone with the Alfred app on it running discretely in a front or back window. Get a cheap data SIM é.g. 48 months or Gomo.

Or get a cheap trail camera and leave it running in the garden. Put it up somewhere discreet.

At least you'll get an idea of what you're dealing with. If the trail camera gets stolen, that's worth the price alone.
    Or get a 2G 3G or 4G trail camera and you'll get an as it happens warning that you need to ring the Guards or maybe your own heavies.

• Advertisement

Hi looking for advice, have had let a house sit idle for period and haven't been able to go there with lockdown & work & housemates cocooning etc. So came "home" to find both my front and back door locks changed, no real sign of anyone living in house (water and electric not connected) small damage interior damage that didn't make any logical sense and some random furniture added to my house - ie not a bed or table - again which didn't make any sense... no sign that anyone sleeping there etc.
    Obviously locksmiths booked, guards called but just wondering has anyone come across anything similar ???

Is it 'home'? Your PPR? If so, rent a room to a licencee. Don't let the house unless it suits you to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Is it 'home'? Your PPR? If so, rent a room to a licencee. Don't let the house unless it suits you to.

If they're not living there how?

If they're not living there how?

?
    If it's your PPR, you're living there. Whether you're there or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

An Ri rua wrote: »
    ?
    If it's your PPR, you're living there. Whether you're there or not.
    If it's their PPR, they have to be "there" a certain amount of days per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

the_syco wrote: »
    ...Check your mortgage T&C; could the insurance be void if no-one has being living there for a certain amount of time?

They generally only cover a house 3rd Party if empty.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    If it's their PPR, they have to be "there" a certain amount of days per year.

No, only your post has to be. Unless you're sleeping with a Revenue official.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

You should check with the land registry to see if there has been any recent filing for the property. They also have a service, which is free, were you can get an email notification if there is any submissions on your folio. I was in and out of the land registry a lot about a year ago and apparently it's a relatively common scam they see by people who know a property is empty or by tenants who can intercept mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 locksdown

So been onto my bank(just in case) not them, contacted my electric providers to see if anyone tried to reconnect or had reconnected power or had tried to change account name all a no.

Have booked reconnection to avoid re certing, but will leave turned off at inside mains thingy,

Been on to local social welfare no claims to address.

I am really at a loss as to what was the plan... maybe I caught in play or just in time.

Manion wrote: »
    You should check with the land registry to see if there has been any recent filing for the property. They also have a service, which is free, were you can get an email notification if there is any submissions on your folio. I was in and out of the land registry a lot about a year ago and apparently it's a relatively common scam they see by people who know a property is empty or by tenants who can intercept mail.

Will defo look into this thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Thin film of powder on any of the furniture???

Know someone who rented to perfect tenants for 6 months. When they moved out she went to tidy up but everything was exact same as when she left it (new mattress still on the bed unwrapped). Only thing left behind was very thin film of powder on all the furniture in one room. It was a cutting agent for coke.

didn't notice anything like that, just normal dust,,, that's mad ****e altogether

Advertisement