Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from new build to older house

Options
  • 16-08-2020 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

My partner, children and I are considering moving from our large, modern, very economical new build, to an older house in a different part of Dublin.
    There are a few reasons we are considering this.

1. Our area has become very busy. When we moved in it was relatively quiet. Since then however 200+ houses & 100+ apartments have been built turning the area into a bit of a rat run.
    There are at least 2 Strategic Housing Developments going up nearby with 400 apartments in each so this is only going to get worse.
    The kids can in no way be let outside the front of the house as the street is now as busy as a main road.

With that said, the area is very well connected by train, Luas, bus and is a twenty minute cycle to the city center.

2. We are not particularly close to any secondary schools we like which will become a problem for us in a few years.

3. The area is safe but is very near an area that is not so safe and this area encroaches on us from time to time. The garda helicopter is regularly seen on the horizon over said area, but I suppose this is a problem for much of North Dublin!
    I have not had any issues, but with kids who sooner or later will be socializing in the area, we want the safest environment for them, within reason.

There is quite a bit of social housing comming to the area in the new Strategic Housing Developments. I know most social housing tenants are normal, working people, and that any neighbor can be a problem, but there is a greater
    chance of a social housing tennant being a problem so this is a worry.

If we are to move, we wont be moving to another new build, mostly because we want to live in a very settled area with little development happening.
    This means moving to an old, much smaller house that will still probably cost more than our current house, and require renovation costs on top of that.

I also believe that the current government housing programme in Dublin means it will become difficult or impossible to move to an area where a strategic development is not being planned, and people cannot keep moving to outrun
    new developments.

I would like to hear opinions regarding:

- Has anyone moved from a new build to an older house and how was the transition?
    - If an area is decent, is there any point in moving to try and avoid large strategic housing developments, particulary as one cant control if these occur in future anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

Currently in the exact same situation minus not having kids at the minute so the school thing isn't on our radar, we have just gone sale agreed on our existing house (new build) in a new-ish area but beside massive developments exactly as you outline (SDZ), we now plan on renting in our next place to make sure the we love the area before we choose to buy in, this will definitively be a more settled mature estate / place to make sure we don't encounter the same issues.

I think if you've an area in mind and you know you are going to be in the property for a long time the renovations piece can be done over a long time, it will definitely be an adjustment to go from a new build to an older house but the trade offs in my opinion will be well worth it. No pain no gain as they say

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

how do you find out if there is social housing planned in the future for an area?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

10% of all new developments have to be made available for social housing this is a given, at any point someone can choose to rent out their property to the local authority and house purchasing is an active strategy by LA's to meet social housing quotas vs building social housing themselves. So other than the 10% its difficult to know, Local Area Plans normally give an indicative figure on how many Social Units in an authority they are aiming for but detail on where and when can be difficult to find.

The other big issue now is BTR (build to rent) if an area is seeing these being constructed you will likely see the majority of these developments let to Social tenants through HAP, I think IRES REIT just published there accounts last week which showed a huge amount of there units are now let out through HAP which is essentially social housing. Plenty of discussion on this topic specifically withing the Accommodation & Property forum.

Advertisement