Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strimmer/brushcutter petrol vs electric?

Options
  • 16-08-2020 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I've given up on my current cheapo strimmer and Im thinking that this might be a good time of year to get something at a good price.

I've a sizeable area of very thick grass to cut down and I'm wondering should I consider battery power? Even if I only get 30 mins per charge, using something that starts first time every time like a drill is very attractive and I can always just get a second battery.

Also for thick grass that's not been mowed for years is a nylon head practical?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think you will get a cheap electric that will do what you want.
    Even the really powerful ones will only do about 45 mins cutting heavy grass, then you need another battery.
    I priced a Husqvarna with 2 batteries and a charger 525LX and it was coming in well over 1000 for 2 batteries a charger and the trimmer.
    I like the idea of a battery but given the short runtimes and high battery charger prices I think I would be better off with a decent petrol, I would be a long time burning the difference in fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I've a sizeable area of very thick grass to cut down and I'm wondering should I consider battery power? Even if I only get 30 mins per charge, using something that starts first time every time like a drill is very attractive

Over the years, I've found that 9 times out of 10, it's the electric tool (or vehicle) that won't start, due to a flat battery. Or worse: you give it a test buzz, everything sounds great, you get all geared up for the job and then ggngnnnngghhhh-ghghnng-gngn-nngg-gn ... :mad:

Also 30 minutes is no time at all when you have a large area to get through. Unless you need to give your arms/legs/back a rest every half an hour, I'd say you'd get frustrated with the frequent stopping, which will probably be just as you get to the part furthest from the house.

As for the choice of head - do you mean a nylon string? If it's just grass, then it should be fine. I use a 2mm nylon string on my main machine and it cuts through everything that isn't pure wood - so grass, nettles, thistles, brambles, wild roses, willow slips, oak saplings (if I don't spot them in time) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

First question is how sizeable. My sizeable is different to yours.

Second , can you do the work over a few days.

I've lots of petrol garden tools my biggest gripe with them is the exhaust fumes. Absolutely rank. I swapped my hedge trimmer to an electric one recently because the petrol one was making me absolutely gag after any more than half hour operation.

For me if the area was small enough or it would be done over sat Sunday I'd go electric.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

There's really no comparing electric versus petrol in terms of power and durability, particularly for large gardens, grassland areas. If fumes is the issue you can get low / no fume 2 stroke oil mix, I'm using it and whilst a little more expensive a small bottle would last a long time. Storing petrol strimners correctly also important and I remove fuel after each use into sealed bottle. Dare I say, I got an excellent petrol strimmer in Aldi over 4 years ago, less than €100 and still flying.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Exhaust fumes? :eek: In 15 years, I don't think I've ever noticed the fumes from my strimmers. The chainsaw, sometimes yes; the lawnmower, if I've had it on its side for maintenance; but the strimmer ... ? Never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Exhaust fumes? :eek: In 15 years, I don't think I've ever noticed the fumes from my strimmers. The chainsaw, sometimes yes; the lawnmower, if I've had it on its side for maintenance; but the strimmer ... ? Never.

Hedge trimmer.

Not strimmer. Please read accordingly.

Il give you a go of mine and see how long you last with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Sounds like an over-rich mixture.

listermint wrote: »
    Hedge trimmer.

Not strimmer. Please read accordingly.

Il give you a go of mine and see how long you last with it.

Apologies - I did indeed (mis)read too fast.

My hedge trimmer doesn't generate any noticeable fumes either. 2% oil in SP95-E10. If it wasn't for the noise, you wouldn't notice it was in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Yes I was wondering about nylon line which I've only used on an old old strimmer which really did struggle with the heavy dense thatch versus a blade head which ploughed through everything but it was a new strimmer.
    In terms of how big it takes 3 hours to do all in 1 go but I've no intention of wasting that much of a day off so my plan is to do it in 1 hour chunks after work instead.

If you're cutting really heavy thatch, then a blade will be better for getting through it in a single pass, but I find the "cut long" grass leaves the area looking very messy and at least as hard to cut the next time. With the nylon line, I'd usually do it in two passes - a high pass to take the top off it, and a lower pass to bring it down to about 5-10cm. Most of the time, that leaves the grass well shredded and it breaks down very quickly. If I'm running a mower over it after the strimming, the "long" cut clogs up the blades in no time; the double cut gets picked up no bother.

• Advertisement
Advertisement