Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else issues with RDP and Win 10 Updates

Options
  • 17-08-2020 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I have a Windows 10 machine I use purely for a PLEX server and network share. Plex is used for the TVs in the house and I use the network share to watch stuff via VLC on Android Phones/Tablets.

I always remote access the server machine when I need to check on PLEX etc, but in the last week, I couldn't RDP onto the PC nor could VLC connect to the network shares.

I noted there was a recent update on the PC, but regardless I checked Firewall, checked remote connections were allowed. Even saw a suggestion to disable the IPv6 protocol on the network adapter and no joy.

So did a system restore prior to the recent windows updates and low and behold everything back working 100%.

Has anyone else found issues with RDP post Win10 updates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

My luck is that I never had problems after a Windows update. Even if I had some small problems they were easily fixed by checking Firewall and a search on Google.

Tried everything on Google and Firewall etc and all looked fine.

Im torn between stopped all updates or installing them again and seeing if they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

We had issues with VPNs after last weeks updates which was cured by uninstalling the Network card in Device Manager, restarting and letting Windows re-install it. Might be worth a try ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

ZENER wrote: »
    We had issues with VPNs after last weeks updates which was cured by uninstalling the Network card in Device Manager, restarting and letting Windows re-install it. Might be worth a try ?

Ken

I'll give that a lash next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I wouldn't really use Windows built-in RDP as your server will be hammered by bots trying to bruteforce your password.

try Bivise, its an excellent SSH software that allows you to use an RDP SSH tunnel with all the added security benefits SSH gives you, and best of all its free for non-commercial use

You can download it and give it a shot here

https://www.bitvise.com/

Advertisement