Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion elements blowing

Options
  • 17-08-2020 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi I have had this problem for years the immersion works on sink but blows on bath , I have had the element changed about 5 times and it still happens, element no BT11 , I think , can any one advice pls
    Its driving me nuts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

What is showing this, trip switch going off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

Bruthal wrote: »
    What is showing this, trip switch going off?

Yes trip switch goes within mins of bath been turned on ok on sink

• Registered Users Posts: 25,462 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Have you talked to an electrician? My bath element is rated at 2.8 kW, the sink is 2 kW. It sounds like the circuit can't handle the bath load. Is the power coming from a dedicated circuit?

coylemj wrote: »
    Have you talked to an electrician? My bath element is rated at 2.8 kW, the sink is 2 kW. It sounds like the circuit can't handle the bath load. Is the power coming from a dedicated circuit?
    Thanks no electrician ever mentioned it but I never asked either. How could that be fixed

It is usually the element casing which fails, but put up a photo of the breaker that is tripping, if possible.

They trip breakers earlier when there is an RCD on them, often used to see elements directly exposed to the water when it was Just MCBs on them.

If it is a failed element, and happens relatively often, it might be hard water and limescale build up, which causes the element itself to overheat. Either that, or the water is somehow more corrosive than normal.

• Advertisement

redcatstar wrote: »
    Yes trip switch goes within mins of bath been turned on ok on sink

Did that happen with all of the five elements you've had fitted? Straight from new, or does it take a few months before it happens?

Do you know the specs of the current element? Can you read the power rating from the top of the element?

Not sure wat you meant ,attaching 3 photos

Not sure wat you meant ,attaching 3 photos

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Replace with an INCOLOY element at the next failure. These are more robust.

• Advertisement

Hi
    Can you explain wat that is pls

Did that happen with all of the five elements you've had fitted? Straight from new, or does it take a few months before it happens?

Do you know the specs of the current element? Can you read the power rating from the top of the element?
    Almost immediately wen put on bath
    15A 250v- is that wat you mean

moceri wrote: »
    Replace with an INCOLOY element at the next failure. These are more robust.

Wat is this pls

Wat is this pls
    Alloy more resistant to heat etc than copper clad elements.

Almost immediately wen put on bath
    15A 250v- is that wat you mean

Photo of the tripswitch that's tripping?

Hi I have had this problem for years the immersion works on sink but blows on bath , I have had the element changed about 5 times and it still happens, element no BT11 , I think , can any one advice pls

Have you replaced the BT11 gadget (as shown in the photo) five times? That's the thermostat, it's not the cause of the problem. Your problem is with the immersion element, specifically the bath part (it's a dual element) is drawing too much power and tripping the circuit.

Have you replaced the BT11 gadget (as shown in the photo) five times? That's the thermostat, it's not the cause of the problem. Your problem is with the immersion element, specifically the bath part (it's a dual element) is drawing too much power and tripping the circuit.

Oh that's not the problem so is the problem the tank or were can I find it pls, haven't a clue

Is that long piece the element and on top the thermostat pls

Oh that's not the problem so is the problem the tank or were can I find it pls, haven't a clue

There is a small silver cylinder at the top of your immersion tank, underneath it is the top of the heating mechanism which consists of two heating elements which go down into the tank. The shorter element is rated at about 2 kW and is powered when the switch is set to 'Sink', the longer element is rated at closer to 3 kW and is powered when the switch is set to 'Bath'.

• Advertisement

Is that long piece the element and on top the thermostat pls

No, that whole thing is the thermostat. The rod is what picks up the temperature of the water, it's not a heating element. The neutral connection goes through it, it's common to both the sink and bath circuits so it cuts off the power when the set temperature is reached.

There is a small silver cylinder at the top of your immersion tank, underneath it is the top of the heating mechanism which consists of two heating elements which go down into the tank. The shorter element is rated at about 2 kW and is powered when the switch is set to 'Sink', the longer element is rated at closer to 3 kW and is powered when the switch is set to 'Bath'.

Ok so I wont be able to see this myself but do I take it then when the thermostat is taken out, the element is under that and can be taken out and replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Bruthal wrote: »
    Photo of the tripswitch that's tripping?

Can you post a picture of the tripswitch op?

Ok so I wont be able to see this myself but do I take it then when the thermostat is taken out, the element is under that and can be taken out and replaced

I wouldn't assume that. The immersion is not 'under' the thermostat.

Changing the thermostat is something an amateur can do. I'd be getting a professional to install a new immersion element.

Or the element is split. If each time it's replaced it works for a while, months or a year, it's the element itself likely the problem.

A photo of the tripping breaker might help to get some idea

meercat wrote: »

This?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Could be the bath element touching the side of the cylinder, causing a hot spot that causes the casing to degrade over time. Then it shorts off the cylinder.......puff.
    Did you inspect the faulty elements Op?

meercat wrote: »

This ??

Cerco wrote: »
    Could be the bath element touching the side of the cylinder, causing a hot spot that causes the casing to degrade over time. Then it shorts off the cylinder.......puff.
    Did you inspect the faulty elements Op?

Yes that's something I was going to say earlier, forgot to add it. It sometimes ends up bet unto the cylinder heating coil from central heating. I have replaced them before where it was hard to avoid. Ended up slightly changing the plane of the cylinder threaded hole to get around it.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't assume that. The immersion is not 'under' the thermostat.

Changing the thermostat is something an amateur can do. I'd be getting a professional to install a new immersion element.

I've always got an electrician well 2 of them and that's wat they always do ,strange and upsetting, thank you for helping

Advertisement