Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion elements blowing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

redcatstar wrote: »
    This ??

Yes, which one is tripping, close up photo showing its specs clearly.

I've always got an electrician well 2 of them and that's wat they always do ,strange and upsetting, thank you for helping

Each time you replace, how long before starts tripping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭redcatstar

I've never seen the element just the thermostat will attach photo of last one that was taken out

never seen element just the thermostat will attach photo last one that was taken out

I've always got an electrician well 2 of them and that's wat they always do ,strange

This is end of last thermostat

• Advertisement

This is end of last thermostat

end of last thermostat

End of thermostat

End of thermostat

I'm so sorry I'm trying to attach photo of end of thermostat, but keeps saying file too big
    And Bruthaul I've a cast on my leg will get husband wen home to take a better photo of tripswitch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

It looks like your emersion element is busted on bath.

It seems

You got an electritian to come out. He decided the stat was faulty and this was causing the element to overheat and trip. He took your money and left. Your bath emersion still didnt work so you rang him again and he again replaced the stat. Then 4 or 5 stats later you are starting to wonder why you keep changing the stat.

The same emersion seems to be in the cylinder since the problem began and the water has never heated on bath ever since the first time it broke is what Im guessing. Probably 150-200 euro for a plumber to land there with an emersion, drain the cylinder change it out, wire it, fill it back up and head on his way after checking that it actually heats the water on bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,462 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

never seen element just the thermostat will attach photo last one that was taken out

I don't think anyone here is asking for another photo of the thermostat.

It's a closeup of the trip switch they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm so sorry I'm trying to attach photo of end of thermostat, but keeps saying file too big
    And Bruthaul I've a cast on my leg will get husband wen home to take a better photo of tripswitch

Do you have very hard water?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Do you have very hard water?

I really don't know , sligo

coylemj wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here is asking for another photo of the thermostat.

It's a closeup of the trip switch they're looking for.

Thank you will have to wait till husband gets home to get better photo of trip switch , my leg is in a cast

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I really don't know , sligo

Limescale in the kettle, in a pan of water when you boil it - sort of milky sediment.

I'm asking because if you have, then it is likely it is causing corrosion on the immersion heating element jacket, which protects the electrical heating element inside it from the water in the cylinder. If the jacket corrodes through, water can seep in and touch the electrical element, which will trip the RCD, which is a special circuit breaker to protect people from being electrocuted.

The solution is to replace the immersion heating element which uses stainless steel as the material for the jacket protecting the electrical element. This is far more resistant to corrosion and should solve the problem, if corrosion is the problem and not something else.

My current stainless steel immersion element i put in, in 2007.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Limescale in the kettle, in a pan of water when you boil it - sort of milky sediment.

I'm asking because if you have, then it is likely it is causing corrosion on the immersion heating element jacket, which protects the electrical heating element inside it from the water in the cylinder. If the jacket corrodes through, water can seep in and touch the electrical element, which will trip the RCD, which is a special circuit breaker to protect people from being electrocuted.

The solution is to replace the immersion heating element which uses stainless steel as the material for the jacket protecting the electrical element. This is far more resistant to corrosion and should solve the problem, if corrosion is the problem and not something else.

My current stainless steel immersion element i put in, in 2007.

No dont have that in kettle or pots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

There is no trip with sink selected so assuming that the bath element is blown and down to earth which it would have to be if the MCB is tripping (with bath selected) then with sink selected and the element has heated the water and the stat has opened
    one would think that the cylinder would continue to heat/overheat due to the power continuing to flow through the sink element then through the neutral link and back to the bath element , through it and then to earth?. If a RCD is fitted then it should trip every time the sink is selected?.

John.G wrote: »
    There is no trip with sink selected so assuming that the bath element is blown and down to earth which it would have to be if the MCB is tripping (with bath selected) then with sink selected and the element has heated the water and the stat has opened
    one would think that the cylinder would continue to heat/overheat due to the power continuing to flow through the sink element then through the neutral link and back to the bath element , through it and then to earth?. If a RCD is fitted then it should trip every time the sink is selected?.

Im not an electrical engineer but surely if sink is selected the electricity stays away from the bath (long) element,no?

Im not an electrical engineer but surely if sink is selected the electricity stays away from the bath (long) element,no?

This, if correct, may show how this can happen.

Everyday is a school day, Can you get a multimeter for a continuity test on the element from the control box?

• Advertisement

Probably yes, if on/off switch is in the off position and the stat is closed, one should be able to measure the resistance of each selected element across the l/n common element connections in the switch.

I thought that drawing looked very familiar

Bruthal wrote: »
    I thought that drawing looked very familiar

It certainly should Bruthal, at the time of your original masterpiece I thought/said that this picture in particular is worth ten thousand words.

Thank you everyone so I have all your posts and will get electrician to read , cause I'm totally lost but very grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thank you everyone so I have all your posts and will get electrician to read , cause I'm totally lost but very grateful

Do yourself a favour and don't get the same electrician. If he/they have changed the thermostat 5 times without considering that the element might be damaged they have no business going near it again. I'd recommend getting a plumber rather than an electrician to change the element.

For interest, can you get your husband to take a snap of the tripped switch.
    Also get the electrician to give you the resistance readings of both the sink and the bath elements before proceeding any further, that will certainly identify the problem once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

For interest, can you get your husband to take a snap of the tripped switch.
    Also get the electrician to give you the resistance readings of both the sink and the bath elements before proceeding any further, that will certainly identify the problem once and for all.

Do you think any self respecting electrician is going to submit his resistance readings to a customer for appraisal before fixing the issue?
    A qualified electrician would investigate the problem, quote the solution and fix it.

No, point taken.

Advertisement