Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I ask for as a LL?

Options
  • 17-08-2020 12:29pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Long term tenants are moving out. Apartment is in a RPZ but rent is in line with market rent.

I will be asking for the following
    • PPS No. (this is required for the registration of the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board)
    • A reference from your previous landlord
    • A reference from your current employer
    • Photo I.D. such as a driving licence or passport
    • Evidence of residency
    • Recent bank statements
    • Payslips
    • Two months deposit in advance
    • One months rent in advance

Anything else to be asked for? Anything to be recommended to ask for to screen interested parties? Not all the information above will be needed prior to a viewing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

godtabh wrote: »
    Long term tenants are moving out. Apartment is in a RPZ but rent is in line with market rent.

• PPS No. (this is required for the registration of the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board)
    • Evidence of residency
    • Recent bank statements
    • Payslips

Anything else to be asked for? Anything to be recommended to ask for to screen interested parties? Not all the information above will be needed prior to a viewing.

Personally I’d ask for the previous LLs phone number, when you have picked your preferred applicant, give the LL a call before offering the lease, you’ll know if they are bluffing and the reference is made up. Be prepared for the onslaught of posters telling you have no right to ask for half of those things, and that under GDPR regs you could be in trouble for asking. But remember, it is your property and if some refuse, many will not.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dav010 wrote: »
    Personally I’d ask for the previous LLs phone number. Be prepared for the onslaught of posters telling you have no right to ask for half of those things, and that under GDPR regs you could be in trouble for asking. But remember, it is your property and if some refuse, many will not.

The above list came from Threshold

https://www.threshold.ie/advice/seeking-private-rented-accommodation/what-information-can-a-landlord-request-from-me/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Vangoghslow

• Evidence of residency
    • Recent bank statements
    • Payslips

Surely one month's rent as a deposit is enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

That is up to the LL to decide, personally I always ask for the equivalent of three months rent on signing, this equates to first month, last month and one month deposit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Dav010 as you can't resist suggesting landlords can completely disregard data protection laws, do not post in this thread again.

• Advertisement

No where near enough, one months rent is a pittance compared to the value of the property and will not go far in covering damage or lost rent.

Also if a person stands to lose a large deposit they may be less inclined to over hold, not pay rent, do damage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Vangoghslow

No where near enough, one months rent is a pittance compared to the value of the property and will not go far in covering damage or lost rent.

Also if a person stands to lose a large deposit they may be less inclined to over hold, not pay rent, do damage etc.
    i

The average monthly rent nationwide stood at €1,418 in the first quarter of 2020.
    €1,418 X 3= €4,254

€4,254 upfront is too much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i

The average monthly rent nationwide stood at €1,418 in the first quarter of 2020.
    €1,418 X 3= €4,254

Whats the median damage done by a tenant or cost of over holding? A fraction of that I'd guess.

Back on topic, I've reviewed the Data Commissioners guidelines on it personal data/renting and the above appears to fall into it when forming a contract/protecting personal assets but should only be asked if offering.

i

€1,418 X 3= €4,254

If someone cant afford that upfront they wouldn't be a person I'd want renting a house of me as they would sooner or later be unable to afford the rent you can be almost certain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i

€1,418 X 3= €4,254

Those are the rules nowadays.
    Realistically it’s about €6k upfront as rents closer to €2k in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

No deposit will be sufficient to cover serious property damage, the idea is that it's a deterrent. If you want protection you can look into something like Landlord insurance: https://www.zurich.ie/home-insurance/policy-documents/

There are a lot of dynamics to renting a property, a high deposit may move the bar and mean you'll loose otherwise good tenants. While demand is high, it is also true certain classes of tenant maybe more desirable than others and putting a bunch of barriers and obstacles in the way that just make the process hard not better. It might not work out. Some folks have the idea if they make the process really onerous they'll get the best candidates, but that's a fallacy, you'll get the most desperate not necessarily the people with other options.

In terms of Information, when I let out a property last year I found personal statements from the candidates very compelling and help a lot when making a decision.

*Not a recommendation or endorsement of Zurich, just a good link I found

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

I've never heard of 2 months deposit. Is that semi-normal now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd ask for three months deposit. At least you'd know you won't be messed around but someone who is willing to provide that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'd ask for three months deposit. At least you'd know you won't be messed around but someone who is willing to provide that

Pretty sure someone like Nidge* would have no problem with that much up front in cash.

You can't tell the nature of a tenant by how much they have to hand. Could've gone to a loan shark to get it, even!

(*Pop culture crime drama reference...)

Pretty sure someone like Nidge* would have no problem with that much up front in cash.

You can't tell the nature of a tenant by how much they have to hand. Could've gone to a loan shark to get it, even!

(*Pop culture crime drama reference...)

A cross reference with bank statements will help to show of the person has sufficient income.

Also Nidge kept his house very well, a high level criminal is likely to be a very good tenant as they won’t want to si1t where they eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Lol!
    Nowhere near enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Sure why not ask for the full year as a deposit, while you're at it.

6k down for the privilege of paying someone elses mortgage, ffs. Have to say I'm glad my last landlord was much more reasonable than many of the posters here.

6k down for the privilege of paying someone elses mortgage, ffs. Have to say I'm glad my last landlord was much more reasonable than many of the posters here.

Pay your own mortgage then.

Yawn...
    You're last landlord didn't get sting by dead beat tenants. Good for him.

Mod Note

turn this thread into an anti-landlord / anti-tenant bashing session at your peril.

• Advertisement

I've never heard of 2 months deposit. Is that semi-normal now?

Yes. It’s very common now as the LL tries to protect against rogue tenants. It’s unfortunate as the good tenants have been tarred with the same brush just as the good LL’s have been tarred with the same brush.

Your paying for a service.
    The same way you pay a taxi fare, would you argue you are paying the taxi mans mortgage or car loan?

Like all services, if one particular one is not to your liking , you move to another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

for a property no.
    most tenants hold back last month so the landlord is left with nothing to cover repairs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can ask for whatever you like. Of course, a prospective tenant is more likely to say no, depending on what you ask for. This may be the desired outcome!

(EG like asking for work references may weed out those on HAP, as you are not allowed directly state no HAP)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

<SNIP>

• Evidence of residency
    • Recent bank statements
    • Payslips

Why proof of residency if they have a passport and pps?

Indeed you are. So before you sit into the taxi do you hand over 3x the gate to the driver?

The problem with deposits is that a lot of landlords consider the deposit "their money" and spend it. When it comes to getting it back, they pull ever trick in the book to avoid handing it over, through charging for reasonable wear and tear.

Tenants also need to have a lot of faith in the landlord too. For someone who I have no prior professional relationship I would not be comfortable leaving €4k of mine in their custody for a year.

So don't move in then. It's their property ffs!

To get back on track, the OPs list seems reasonable.

I am not sure legally where LLs stand on asking for proof of employment, as its can be viewed as an obvious end run around Social Welfare tenants.
    I imagine it'll be outlawed.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I am not sure legally where LLs stand on asking for proof of employment, as its can be viewed as an obvious end run around Social Welfare tenants.

I'd suggest it's something a landlord would need to tread very carefully around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Pkiernan wrote: »
    To get back on track, the OPs list seems reasonable.

I imagine it'll be outlawed.
    You could ask for employment or personal references and disregard anyone that doesnt provide employment references.

Technically not breaking any laws, while avoiding letting to HAP tenants.

Advertisement