Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I ask for as a LL?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A tenant can work full time while being on HAP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They can, and those ones aren't the ones that people are trying to exclude whilst remaining within the letter of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

godtabh wrote: »
    Long term tenants are moving out. Apartment is in a RPZ but rent is in line with market rent.

I will be asking for the following
    • PPS No. (this is required for the registration of the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board)
    • A reference from your previous landlord
    • A reference from your current employer
    • Photo I.D. such as a driving licence or passport
    • Evidence of residency
    • Recent bank statements
    • Payslips
    • Two months deposit in advance
    • One months rent in advance

Anything else to be asked for? Anything to be recommended to ask for to screen interested parties? Not all the information above will be needed prior to a viewing.
    Pkiernan wrote: »
    To get back on track, the OPs list seems reasonable

I am not sure legally where LLs stand on asking for proof of employment, as its can be viewed as an obvious end run around Social Welfare tenants.
    I imagine it'll be outlawed.
    What? The OPs list is way OTT, total overkill

PPS No, fine. Needed by RTB,fair enough.
    Reference from previous LL. No objection there.
    Photo ID, not really sure it's needed since you have a PPS and reference but ok.
    Reference from Current Employer... Hmm, thats stretching a bit here, why do you want this?
    Residency, Does the OP plan on getting involved in immigration control. If no, then this is none of the LL business. Identity has been confirmed already.
    Bank statements - looking for evidence to ability to pay/salary? Well have you not got an employers reference already for that? Pick one. Be prepared to receive a heavily redacted bank statement.
    Payslips. Now here, you're taking the absolute piss. An employers reference, bank statements and payslips? How can you justify this amount of data collection? One of the above would suffice.
    Deposit, 2 months. The final salt in the wound. Unbelievable.

Unless a landlord was offering a really sweet deal (and let's face it, those are rarer than hens teeth these days), I'd be telling you to take a hike with your personal information fishing expedition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Photo ID, not really sure it's needed since you have a PPS and reference but ok.
    Reference from Current Employer... Hmm, thats stretching a bit here, why do you want this?
    Residency, Does the OP plan on getting involved in immigration control. If no, then this is none of the LL business. Identity has been confirmed already.
    Bank statements - looking for evidence to ability to pay/salary? Well have you not got an employers reference already for that? Pick one. Be prepared to receive a heavily redacted bank statement.
    Payslips. Now here, you're taking the absolute piss. An employers reference, bank statements and payslips? How can you justify this amount of data collection? One of the above would suffice.

Unless a landlord was offering a really sweet deal (and let's face it, those are rarer than hens teeth these days), I'd be telling you to take a hike with your personal information fishing expedition.

How would you propose to protect your investment if you were a landlord?
    How does an employers reference prove ability to pay rent?

Try getting a mortgage, and see what a bank asks for!

I dont see why you saw the need to bring foul and uncivil language into this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Just to note. An employer will only confirm that the person is employed there. They won't get a character reference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

godtabh wrote: »
    Long term tenants are moving out. Apartment is in a RPZ but rent is in line with market rent.

I will be asking for the following
    • PPS No. (this is required for the registration of the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board)
    • A reference from your previous landlord
    • A reference from your current employer
    • Photo I.D. such as a driving licence or passport
    • Evidence of residency
    • Recent bank statements
    • Payslips
    • Two months deposit in advance
    • One months rent in advance

Anything else to be asked for? Anything to be recommended to ask for to screen interested parties? Not all the information above will be needed prior to a viewing.

Evidence of residency is the only odd one there for me. I'm an Irish citizen, so I presume my passport would cover that? If not, I'm not sure how else to prove it. If someone has a previous landlord, a bank account, payslips and an employer, how much more "resident" do you want them to be? Or does it mean something like utility bills from my last place?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    How would you propose to protect your investment if you were a landlord?
    How does an employers reference prove ability to pay rent?

Try getting a mortgage, and see what a bank asks for!

I dont see why you saw the need to bring foul and uncivil language into this thread.

What does the employers reference prove then if not the ability to pay rent. Why ask for it if it's useless?

He's asking for the same information three times! Employers reference, bank statements and payslips. How can that kind of information gathering be justified? It doesn't tell the LL anything useful about the tenant, it just a load of extra hoops for the potential tenant. All it does is it reduces the pool of potential tenants to the wealthy, stupid and/or desperate.

The landlords files files would be a treasure chest of personal information, ideal for an identity thief.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

He's asking for the same information three times! Employers reference, bank statements and payslips.

At a guess

Employers reference - proof of employment
    Payslips - proof of wage/means & confirmation of PPS/Employment
    Bank Statement - confirmation of wage/means / previous rent / current address

I suspect most landlords would be happy with some of the items off the list rather than every item but I'm sure that varies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Please tell me how you hope to get the house then as your attitude will not bode well in an interview with the ll.

Photo Id is to ensure you are who you say you are - we can use this to check for any disputes on the rtb.

Reference from employer/contract is to confirm affordability.

Residency can be applicable depending on nationality as you want someone that has at least a 1year pass if they are signing a 1 year contract.

Normally employment reference is enough but bank statements can be asked for if you have a tenant wanting to front load and offer 12mo the upfront. You want to check if it was built up gradually or did they just have a sudden amount deposited into their bank account which might be “suspicious”. Speaking from experience on this one but rarely ask for it so can be situational.

Payslips - again affordability - I have seen some people apply for accommodation where they are spending circa 50-75pc of their salary on rent and I’m wondering how can they afford this or what are they intending to do once I have handed over the keys and it will be painful to evict.

Deposit of 2 months is still below the norm in many countries. 3-6months is the norm in much better established renting countries with better protections for ll and tenants alike. 2months rent won’t go far depending on the damage a tenant can do to a property. It merely acts as a deterrent to weed out some bad apples and also provides for tenants with better affordability. If there was proper recourse where ll could legitimately reclaim whatever money a tenant owes be it in damage or rent arrears, I don’t think we would even need a deposit scheme. Would that not be a fairer system all round if that was the case. No deposit but ll will be able to 100 get the money off a tenant or government for hap?

Out of everything they ask for, a ll ref is a checkbox item where I want the document but I don’t even call them as I can’t trust the number they gave or if there are hidden motives for a glowing ll reference.

I’m interested to hear if you have actually rented recently because a lot of the above is the norm for good reason.

Graham wrote: »
    At a guess

Employers reference - proof of employment
    Payslips - proof of wage/means & confirmation of PPS/Employment
    Bank Statement - confirmation of wage/means / previous rent / current address

I suspect most landlords would be happy with some of the items off the list rather than every item but I'm sure that varies.

A bank statement covers all three, and that should be redacted to the minimum of pertinent information. There is no need for the other two, particularly if it's a means to discriminate against HAP tenants.
    There is no reasonable requirement to provide two sources. It's a fishing expedition, nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Surely one month's rent as a deposit is enough?

I've rented three different apartments within the greater Dublin area and I've never been asked for more than a month's rent as a deposit. It's the kind of thing that would set off all sorts of alarm bells. To be fair, I think most landlords are more reasonable than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Thoie wrote: »
    Evidence of residency is the only odd one there for me. I'm an Irish citizen, so I presume my passport would cover that? If not, I'm not sure how else to prove it. If someone has a previous landlord, a bank account, payslips and an employer, how much more "resident" do you want them to be? Or does it mean something like utility bills from my last place?

It’s not directed at Irish people but at foreign people living in Ireland. I have dealt with a lot of working foreign nationals on good wages coming from South America and Asia and I just want to ensure they have a valid visa. If your name is joe McCarthy or Mary o Sullivan, I think you have automatically passed the residency test :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

A bank statement covers all three, and that should be redacted to the minimum of pertinent information. There is no need for the other two, particularly if it's a means to discriminate against HAP tenants.
    There is no reasonable requirement to provide two sources. It's a fishing expedition, nothing more.

What nefarious ends do you suspect the landlord will put the information to? At the end of the data the tenant landlord relationship has to be built on a certain amount of trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I've skimmed the thread so it might have been pointed out already, but a lot of those things should only be taken and processed once you've selected a preferred tenant, they shouldn't be taken from every applicant as a matter of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Surely one month's rent as a deposit is enough?

in some cases , like more expensive properties, yes. But in price bands where you're likely to get HAP applicants id keep 2 months, it'll make most of them not ask and then you can't be accused of discrimination.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

off topic posts (and those quoting them) deleted.

MrMusician18, please read the previous mod note before posting again.

Do not reply to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sure why not ask for the full year as a deposit, while you're at it.

6k down for the privilege of paying someone elses mortgage, ffs. Have to say I'm glad my last landlord was much more reasonable than many of the posters here.

The law is totally in favour of tenants vs landlord's. I'm not a landlord, own my own home, but I dislike the simple fact that toilet hear about Cory cars where tenants are awarded money from landlord's and they will get that. But not a single case of a landlord getting any money off a disappearing tenant who has overheld, left unpaid tent and damages.

So as soon as there is a fairness to the system whereby a landlord can recover the money owed fairly sick as allowing for attachment orders then I'll happily day that three months rent up front is not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Just to go back to the original topic. I think a contract of employment and employer reference was more useful than payslips and and bank statements is better for judging if someone will be able to pay their rent going forward as it more accurately establishes the nature of their relationship with their employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Dav010 wrote: »
    That is up to the LL to decide, personally I always ask for the equivalent of three months rent on signing, this equates to first month, last month and one month deposit.

I think for 3 months rent, I'd be looking for the LL's ID and proof of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What does the employers reference prove then if not the ability to pay rent. Why ask for it if it's useless?

He's asking for the same information three times! Employers reference, bank statements and payslips. How can that kind of information gathering be justified? It doesn't tell the LL anything useful about the tenant, it just a load of extra hoops for the potential tenant. All it does is it reduces the pool of potential tenants to the wealthy, stupid and/or desperate.

The landlords files files would be a treasure chest of personal information, ideal for an identity thief.

How can you conflate a reference letter from an employer with the ability to reliably pay rent?
    Reference letters don't state pay.

Like I said, try getting a mortgage lwith just an Employer Reference letter and see how far that gets you!

You seem to have a real anti landlord bias, so I'll be ignoring you from now on. Your posts are completely unhelpful to the OP.
    All the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

yeah Im a tenant and I wouldnt give bank statements to anyone....

no idea what proof of residency means.

2 mths deposit - not a hope. Not in current climate. Plenty of properties available.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Meathman12

McGaggs wrote: »
    I think for 3 months rent, I'd be looking for the LL's ID and proof of ownership.
    Folio details can be easily obtained online.

yeah the rental market isnt what it was ....i dont know anyone who would pay 3 mths deposit. Not a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

I’m genuinely surprised someone would be making these demands in this environment. Antidotal I know but ... My friend rents out her two bed in GCD. It has been rented since 2012 and they never struggled to get tenants. The two tenants left early April ( no notice, forfeited the deposit ) and they only replaced them in July. The new lease is six month rolling and they happily took that. She is very worried about tenants in the coming years. Her agents weren’t too up beat either. The rent is also on the lower side as it’s been continually let so it’s not like they are charging more than market.

I’m genuinely surprised someone would be making these demands in this environment. Antidotal I know but ... My friend rents out her two bed in GCD. It has been rented since 2012 and they never struggled to get tenants. The two tenants left early April ( no notice, fortified the deposit ) and they only replaced them in July. The new lease is six month rolling and they happily took that. She is very worried about tenants in the coming years. Her agents weren’t too up beat either. The rent is also on the lower side as it’s been continually let so it’s not like they are charging more than market.

well no seems legit to me. I rent and the rental market has changed dramatically recently. I moved recently - took me only 3 weeks to find somewhere and it is less rent. Demand has dropped and wont be returning for a while ...lack of students returning to college will increase the amount of accommodation available aswell.

Meathman12 wrote: »

Can't afford it, I need all my cash to pay up front to the LL.

Just checked, last 2 places I rented are in the registry of deeds. Far to hard to get, LL should supply proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

Can you see online who owns the property?
    I don’t think this is possible

yeah Im a tenant and I wouldnt give bank statements to anyone....

You won’t ever be getting a mortgage or a loan so.

• Advertisement

You won’t ever be getting a mortgage or a loan so.

haha ...ill rephrase.

No bank statements to a LL.

Advertisement