Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can I ask for as a LL?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

ted1 wrote: »
    for a property no.
    most tenants hold back last month so the landlord is left with nothing to cover repairs etc.

Do people do that? I'd be worried about not getting a reference for the next place.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Do people do that? I'd be worried about not getting a reference for the next place.

they dont. People pay their rent and the deposit is returned by the LL. Mine was returned recently after 14 days- full deposit no deductions and no issues with LL.

Ive no issues with the list except for bank statements and the proof of residency. I wouldnt pay 3 months up front either.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Habata

I'm between jobs, I can't provide an employers reference. But I've been renting with no issue for ten years, and I've 10 months rent saved. And I'm expecting to get a job soon. Am I excluded for being allowed to rent somewhere?

Habata wrote: »
    I'm between jobs, I can't provide an employers reference. But I've been renting with no issue for ten years, and I've 10 months rent saved. And I'm expecting to get a job soon. Am I excluded for being allowed to rent somewhere?

Depends, how many people are you willing to share a bedroom with? If it's less than 7 then you can look elsewhere.

(joking of course).

As someone who thankfully isn't a renter - I also get the impression far too much is being asked for from people. I'm amazed, reading through this thread, that potential tenants are actually okay with providing so much information. It's not even the potential fraud or anything, but merely the effort involved, that would put me off.

I would never ask my boss for a reference so i can rent somewhere. As if I'd want a boss knowing anything about my living arrangements. Surely a bank statement would demonstrate an income anyway?

Are bad tenants really as common as it's made out to be? I can't help but get the impression they're the child abductor in the white van on facebook (everyone talks about them, but nobody sees them).

Depends, how many people are you willing to share a bedroom with? If it's less than 7 then you can look elsewhere.

(joking of course).

As someone who thankfully isn't a renter - I also get the impression far too much is being asked for from people. I'm amazed, reading through this thread, that potential tenants are actually okay with providing so much information. It's not even the potential fraud or anything, but merely the effort involved, that would put me off.

I would never ask my boss for a reference so i can rent somewhere. As if I'd want a boss knowing anything about my living arrangements. Surely a bank statement would demonstrate an income anyway?

Are bad tenants really as common as it's made out to be? I can't help but get the impression they're the child abductor in the white van on facebook (everyone talks about them, but nobody sees them).

they are not..this thread is weird

An employer reference is just a statement ...x works here since y. Its not a character reference. A generic piece of paper really. It also doesnt show income and you are no obligation to provide payslips.

A reference from a LL is also generic - mine said x lived at y from 2000- 2020. Regards Mr Landlord.

I experienced no problems renting somewhere new and never have.

• Advertisement

Habata wrote: »

No....supply whatever documentation you have to show you can pay the rent. I rent in Dublin and there is plenty of places available.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I have politely refused to provide bank statements. Given the fact that many letting agents are also sales agents, you may not want to give them this info if you’re planning to buy In the same area any time soon.

Agent thought it was weird I refused but relented when I held firm and accepted us.

I have been asked to email a similar list of docs just to attend a viewing. I laughed and moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

godtabh wrote: »
    Long term tenants are moving out. Apartment is in a RPZ but rent is in line with market rent.

I will be asking for the following
    • PPS No. (this is required for the registration of the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board)
    • A reference from your previous landlord
    • A reference from your current employer
    • Photo I.D. such as a driving licence or passport
    • Evidence of residency
    • Recent bank statements
    • Payslips
    • Two months deposit in advance
    • One months rent in advance

Anything else to be asked for? Anything to be recommended to ask for to screen interested parties? Not all the information above will be needed prior to a viewing.

A lot of employers references are not worth the paper they are written on at the min due to the loss of jobs, impending loss of jobs. I foresee a lot of issues for you as a LL if this is your minimum list.
    On a broader picture these sort of requirements are going to heap people on to the public service

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

javaboy wrote: »
    I have politely refused to provide bank statements. Given the fact that many letting agents are also sales agents, you may not want to give them this info if you’re planning to buy In the same area any time soon.

Agent thought it was weird I refused but relented when I held firm and accepted us.

I have been asked to email a similar list of docs just to attend a viewing. I laughed and moved on.

GDPR rules clearly state they cant be asked for viewing purposes. Its only required upon been considered for a contract, to establish the identify of the person and a means to project your interests. Under these grounds it can be justified from a gdpr point of view.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

listermint wrote: »
    If everyone did that it would put you out of business wouldn't it

Swings and roundabouts

If LL were treated like a business it would be something but they are not. If every one had a mortgage I'd be able to sell.

My tenant just got back onto me. The property she is due to move into the tenant there are over holding. What would have been her new LL has said that there is considerable damage done and even if they could get them out in a couple of weeks there is probably a months worth of work to be done.

She has asked can she stay on. Even though I've had 40 people on looking to rent the place (and some people offering me more rent and cash up front) I've no problem with that. Better to keep the good tenant you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

GDPR rules clearly state they cant be asked for viewing purposes. Its only required upon been considered for a contract, to establish the identify of the person and a means to project your interests. Under these grounds it can be justified from a gdpr point of view.
    Once again, you can ask for whatever you wish. The tenant can decline and cite GDPR as the reason. But you can ask for whatever you want.
    Just like I can ask you to send me a million euro. You are perfectly entitled to say no!

ELM327 wrote: »
    Once again, you can ask for whatever you wish. The tenant can decline and cite GDPR as the reason. But you can ask for whatever you want.
    Just like I can ask you to send me a million euro. You are perfectly entitled to say no!

You ask and if some one offers them up you can fall foul of GDPR rules. Some one agreeing to give them to you doesnt get you off the hook without legitimate reason to ask for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Surely one month's rent as a deposit is enough?

lol. That might work.

It might go wrong. What if the tenant decides you only have one month's rent. So they don't pay you for a week and tell you there was a problem with the bank. Then they ignore your calls the second week. Then tell you they're moving out and to keep the deposit as the final month's rent. And then they move out without cleaning, they leave a full bin, they've left some damage, they took things that didn't belong to them (my friend had his furniture stolen - something the guards decided was a civil matter!) ... and then you find out they had been underpaying the ESB and gas bills to the tune of a few thousand euro.

And that's a good case because it's just money. They might refuse to move out altogether and put you to the stress and expense of having to drag them through the courts for a few months before moving out and leaving a similar mess to the above. Maybe have the local shinners picket your house.

You can't discriminate, so just set the deposit high. Let people volunteer information to you if they choose. If someone wants to prove to you they will be a hassle-free tenant, good standing in the community, they have €20k in their bank account and have a permanent job (so you know they have good income and presumably won't turn your house into a grow house) even better.
    Why wouldn't you protect your investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think you're really stretching it to be able to justify that entire list.
    One of employers reference, recent payslip or recent redacted bank statement to show previous wages entering account is really all that's reasonable. Note the singular for payslips and bank statements. The idea that collecting several payslips and bank statements is proportionate is rather absurd.

The market can't turn soon enough to end these landlord power plays to be honest.

You ask and if some one offers them up you can fall foul of GDPR rules. Some one agreeing to give them to you doesnt get you off the hook without legitimate reason to ask for them.
    Assuming the data is not retained and is returned to the tenant after review, you do have legitimate reason to ask. Assessing affordability for the prospective tenants.
    GDPR is one of the most misused and misquoted laws there are.

I think you're really stretching it to be able to justify that entire list.
    One of employers reference, recent payslip or recent redacted bank statement to show previous wages entering account is really all that's reasonable. Note the singular for payslips and bank statements. The idea that collecting several payslips and bank statements is proportionate is rather absurd.

The market can't turn soon enough to end these landlord power plays to be honest.

I'm not. That list has come from Threshold who are the bastion of landlord rights so I think I'm ok.

The 2/3 months rent maybe up for discussion (of the 40 people who inquired only 1 person flagged this) but if I am justified asking for it and some one doesn't want to provide it thats fine but it also puts them down the list of possible candidates.

I'm not. That list has come from Threshold who are the bastion of landlord rights so I think I'm ok.

The 2/3 months rent maybe up for discussion (of the 40 people who inquired only 1 person flagged this) but if I am justified asking for it and some one doesn't want to provide it thats fine but it also puts them down the list of possible candidates.

That Threshold list is obviously one of all the possible documents. It doesn't mean you need to ask for all of them nor does it mean you need to be provided with several payslips and bank statements. The list is a menu to choose from

As I've asked previously, what can be gleaned from a payslip or employers reference that cannot be from a single page of a single bank statement (or vice versa)?

Of course you can ask for whatever you like, but the information you retain must be held for a reason and deleted when no longer needed, be proportionate and held securely.

Seeing as we've been talking about professionalism, presumably you have a data protection policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I wouldn't be giving more than two months rent, and would grudge handing over two month to be honest - would put me off.

Insurance is for protection, not a chunk of cash.
    My references are for proving my character.

I reckon a landlord doing this is likely to be private and therefore my money is more at risk (bankruptcy, fraud etc).

Yes, as a tenant I wouldnt give any of that information about bank statements etc, only give a generic work reference which excludes salary, and only 1 month deposit.

As a LL I'd want more than what I was willing to give as a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Squatman

Long term tenants are moving out. Apartment is in a RPZ but rent is in line with market rent.

I will be asking for the following
    • PPS No. (this is required for the registration of the tenancy with the Residential Tenancies Board)
    • A reference from your previous landlord
    • A reference from your current employer
    • Photo I.D. such as a driving licence or passport
    • Evidence of residency
    • Recent bank statements
    • Payslips
    • Two months deposit in advance
    • One months rent in advance

Anything else to be asked for? Anything to be recommended to ask for to screen interested parties? Not all the information above will be needed prior to a viewing.

id usually ask for this too, but 12 months rent in advance.
    copy of their birth cert
    Stool sample
    Prima nochta
    Banking details including all passwords.
    as others have said, some will refuse but most will not, and the people that refuse are not the ones that you want renting from you

• Advertisement

If there was an equitable system where LL rights and tenants rights were balanced these wouldnt be needed. A LL can be fined for acting the bollox and rightly so. A tenant can over hold, cause thousands of euro in damage and walk off into the sunset with no repercussions.

Balance the extremes of the unprofessional chances and dodgey tenants and LLs trying to do the right thing wont need to worry as much.

Squatman wrote: »
    id usually ask for this too, but 12 months rent in advance.
    copy of their birth cert
    Stool sample
    Prima nochta
    Banking details including all passwords.
    as others have said, some will refuse but most Will not, and the people that refuse are not the ones that you want renting from you

You forgot the LLs entitlement to your first born too.

As i said, the sooner this market young the better. LLs have gotten far to used to having the whip hand, it's time for a change again in order.

Given what we've seen happen recently, it would be just as appropriate for the tenant to see your bank statements OP, just so they can be sure you can afford the mortgage or other associated loans on the property.

I presume you will be providing them as well as payslips and employers references.

Not sure if you are in Dublin but 40 people making an enquiry is not a lot of people. It comes across that you think this is high. Its not. Maybe for somewhere else but not Dublin.

if times were normal ...and you were in Dubin...it should be way higher.

Any clarity as to what proof of residency means. Honestly just interested at this stage.

Also as another poster said an poster said and Employer reference is even less valuable. Mine was generic but I work from home at present - no way to verifiy as you cant call my employer or even visit them. Just sayin.

Not sure if you are in Dublin but 40 people making an enquiry is not a lot of people. It comes across that you think this is high. Its not. Maybe for somewhere else but not Dublin.

if times were normal ...and you were in Dubin...it should be way higher.

Any clarity as to what proof of residency means. Honestly just interested at this stage.

Also as another poster said an poster said and Employer reference is even less valuable. Mine was generic but I work from home at present - no way to verifiy as you cant call my employer or even visit them. Just sayin.

You've made the assumption its Dublin. Its not.

You've made the assumption its Dublin. Its not.

ah ok ....thought so as thats very low.

what is proof of residency???

Honestly never came across that before so just interested.

People dont offer cash anymore - not since Cov19 aswell. It would be breach of Health & Safety guidelines for any viewings I have done recently.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

People dont offer cash anymore.

Yes they do.
    It would be breach of Health & Safety guidelines for any viewings I have done recently.

I paid cash to my local butcher this morning and cash in Aldi yesterday.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Yes they do.

No it’s not.

I paid cash to my local butcher this morning and cash in Aldi yesterday.

Sorry no thats shopping ...thats different from viewings and being in someone elses home.

Different guidelines altogether ...nothing to do with cash itself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sorry no thats shopping ...thats different from viewings and being in someone elses home.

Different guidelines altogether ...nothing to do with cash itself.

Why?
    They are both business transactions?

Gumbo wrote: »
    Why?
    They are both business transactions?

I think it is someone to being in close proximity in someone elses home...nothing to do with cash.

It can vary but touching stuff isnt advisable either for example - just means more to clean afterwards.

The agent or LL cant necessarily accompany you into the property either - it depends.

Viewings i did recently were different than viewings I would have done in the past - appointment only, no queues, limited contact facemasks, no handshakes etc

The agent I dealt with has never seen my face - just my photo.

Its just Cov19 rules.

People can very cautious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

To what purpose? I recently had to send a bank statement to my pension company and I completely redacted everything accept for my name and address which they accepted so there's no way a LL needs to know your current balance.

And you wouldn’t get the house. I’d be looking to see how you pay your existing rent, if you’ve redacted everything then I’ll pass. Or ask for a bigger deposit but probably just move on to the next interested person.

I’m taking on a risk of thousands of Euro and I want to minimize that risk. This is how I do it.

Advertisement