Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is that a Mountain of Salt? Nope, it's the Leinster v Munster build up thread/love in

Comments

Well Three Red Kings is spot on. Joking about covid is pathetic even if its "banter". Looking at it without knowing how these build up threads go.

They aren't spot on. No one here is not taking covid seriously - we are going to be living with it for a long time to come, I think you need to be able to find some humour even in difficult times and I've read nothing which isn't very clearly meant in jest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

They aren't spot on. No one here is not taking covid seriously - we are going to be living with it for a long time to come, I think you need to be able to find some humour even in difficult times and I've read nothing which isn't very clearly meant in jest.
    Maybe but to outsiders it looks very childish/hundreds have died from covid and mocking the whole illness...
    In isolation if you dont use the forum regularly and know history of these build up threads it looks terrible.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Maybe but to outsiders it looks very childish/hundreds have died from covid and mocking the whole illness...
    In isolation if you dont use the forum regularly and know history of these build up threads it looks terrible.

who cares about "outsiders looking in" ????

how paranoid do you have to be to be worrying about something as insignificant

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think everyone has had their fun now, time to introduce some sanity into this thread.

Talk about the upcoming game please. No more wind ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Just hope Rob Kearney isn't near anyone with the virus, if any player is going to catch something and bring into a crowded area it's him.

Firstly - it doesn't look terrible, they are relatively innocuous remarks.

Secondly, if you voluntarily choose to ignore context then that's the readers problem - not an issue with this forum.

I think they are being over-sensitive, almost ridiculously so. If I didn't know better I'd say they are just happy to have a stick to beat 'Leinster' with, but I haven't read enough of their content to know whether that's their brand of 'journalism' or not.

Edit: Posted before seeing MOD warning, will delete if requested.

Well Three Red Kings is spot on. Joking about covid is pathetic even if its "banter". Looking at it without knowing how these build up threads go.

What did TRK say? Couldn't find anything on their twitter

Secondly, if you voluntarily choose to ignore context then that's a you problem - not an issue with this forum.

I think they are being over-sensitive, almost ridiculously so. If I didn't know better I'd say they are just happy to have a stick to beat 'Leinster' with, but I haven't read enough of their content to know whether that's their brand of 'journalism' or not.
    Yes it does.
    If you dont use the forum regularly and know history of these threads then how do you know the context.
    its not over sensitive at all and knowing 3RK theyd say similar if it was a known Munster supporter who posted it.
    It was off their personal account as well.

enough. Move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A positive, if that's what you can call it, of Carbery's injury is that Hanrahan gets to keep his spot at 10. He'll never be the top class player we thought he could be years ago, but he showed some improvement in his game before the lockdown. Could become a decent 10 with more game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Was it the People's Front of Judea or the Judean People's Front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Secondly, if you voluntarily choose to ignore context then that's the readers problem - not an issue with this forum.

Edit: Posted before seeing MOD warning, will delete if requested.

Ironically its a pretty low-brow twitter account that one, have to laugh at them getting offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Assuming we go full strength:

Kilcoyne, Scannell, Ryan, Snyman, Kleyn, JOD, POM, CJ;
    Murray, JJH, Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Gallagher

Marshall, Loughman, Archer, Beirne, Cloete, Casey, Scannell, Daly

Injured: Salanoa, Carbery, Goggin, Haley

I wouldn't be surprised if Knox got in ahead of Archer. This is a big 12 months for him to break into the 23.

The backrow is tricky to call. There seems to be a lot of talk that the new breakdown laws could suit a player like Cloete. JOS is pushing for a spot in the 23 with his performances pre-Covid. Beirne could see time at blindside but he's the ideal bencher.

I imagine Snyman, DDA and Gallagher will start both interpros to get them up to speed. The back three depth chart after those starters is tough to call. I don't see a lot between Daly, Sweetnam and Nash. Perhaps one of the academy 10s will be on the bench with Scannell wearing #23.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I wouldn't be surprised if Knox got in ahead of Archer. This is a big 12 months for him to break into the 23.

Munster have 2 tightheads who are both 32 and while they're very scrummagers, the other facets of their game wouldn't be top class and I'm not sure will improve.

They have 2 other tightheads at 21 and 22 who are far superior athletes who need to develop their scrummaging.

I'd be hopeful that by the end of 20/21 season Knox and Salanoa are first and second choice in either order

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Leinster are guaranteed top spot, Edinburgh are pretty much guaranteed a SF spot, and Munster and Ulster should only need 2 points to get a SF spot. So not a huge amount to play for.

In 4 weekends it goes round 14, round 15, SF, and Final.

So it makes sense to put out the strongest team this weekend for everyone, and then rotate a bit for round 15.

• Advertisement

Assuming we go full strength:

Kilcoyne, Scannell, Ryan, Snyman, Kleyn, JOD, POM, CJ;
    Murray, JJH, Earls, DDA, Farrell, Conway, Gallagher

Marshall, Loughman, Archer, Beirne, Cloete, Casey, Scannell, Daly

Injured: Salanoa, Carbery, Goggin, Haley

The backrow is tricky to call. There seems to be a lot of talk that the new breakdown laws could suit a player like Cloete. JOS is pushing for a spot in the 23 with his performances pre-Covid. Beirne could see time at blindside but he's the ideal bencher.

I imagine Snyman, DDA and Gallagher will start both interpros to get them up to speed. The back three depth chart after those starters is tough to call. I don't see a lot between Daly, Sweetnam and Nash. Perhaps one of the academy 10s will be on the bench with Scannell wearing #23.

Beirne is out.

Beirne is out.
    In other player news, Tadhg Beirne has resumed team training this week following a low-grade leg injury.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/08/18/player-update-joey-carbery-ruled-out-tadhg-beirne-back-training/

He's back training this week so that's why he's included. Maybe he'll get held back until the Connacht game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

That's a real pity about Carbery. Poor lad, must be very frustrating, not to mind worrying about his future. Real opportunity for JJH to step up now, if he can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Will this be the first time in a hot minute that both teams field near their best teams?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Will this be the first time in a hot minute that both teams field near their best teams?

i recall the 2018 christmas game being quite stacked....

Munster

15. Mike Haley
    14. Andrew Conway
    13. Dan Goggin
    12. Rory Scannell
    11. Keith Earls
    10. Joey Carbery
    9. Conor Murray

1. Dave Kilcoyne
    2. Niall Scannell
    3. John Ryan
    4. Jean Kleyn
    5. Tadhg Beirne
    6. Fineen Wycherley
    7. Chris Cloete
    8. CJ Stander (captain).

Replacements:

16. Kevin O’Byrne
    17. Jeremy Loughman
    18. Stephen Archer
    19. Billy Holland
    20. Arno Botha
    21. Alby Mathewson
    22. Tyler Bleyendaal
    23. Darren Sweetnam.

Leinster

15. Jordan Larmour
    14. Dave Kearney
    13. Garry Ringrose
    12. Rory O’Loughlin
    11. James Lowe
    10. Johnny Sexton (captain)
    9. Luke McGrath

1. Cian Healy
    2. James Tracy
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Scott Fardy
    5. James Ryan
    6. Rhys Ruddock
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jack Conan

Replacements:

16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Michael Bent
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Hugh O’Sullivan
    22. Ciarán Frawley
    23. Noel Reid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

Pro 14 semi final teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm not sure if Leinster will. They have to get lads up to speed but they also need to be conscious that they're facing into these two games followed by up to 4 high intensity knock out games on the trot, potentially.

I can see them fielding a strong side but not completely full strength this weekend, a somewhat mixed side closer to what they'd normally field against Ulster in the Pro14 and then back to a mostly first choice side for the semi final again in line with the sort of team they fielded in Pro14 semi finals in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

mfceiling wrote: »
    Would a pub (where you could eat your €9 meal) be showing this game?

Not the full game of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Munster do have a slight advantage here, they’re far more used to playing in near empty stadiums.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

stephen_n wrote: »
    Munster do have a slight advantage here, they’re far more used to playing in near empty stadiums.

Ah the old Munster rugby-poor attendance trope is a good one. I mean, it's factually inaccurate, but it's still a good one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Will this have fake crowd noise or just be a normal quiet stadium does anyone know?

stephen_n wrote: »

I hear Leinster have a name change on the way, Dublin and who cares?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Will this have fake crowd noise or just be a normal quiet stadium does anyone know?
    Eir putting in crowd noise

https://www.the42.ie/eir-sport-coverage-inter-pros-5170181-Aug2020/

Crowd noise from the Rugby 20 game.

Yeeesh that could be rough.

Don't know how to feel about that.

On the one hand it could be less jarring. On the other hand the fake supporters could be biased for Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Don't know how to feel about that.

On the one hand it could be less jarring. On the other hand the fake supporters could be biased for Munster.

I think that's likely. It would make sense for the developers to make the Munster fans the loudest. ;)

If someone starts heckling the kicker, they'd better have the mute button at hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I dont have eirsport so will be heading to my folks for the match. Can't stand the fake crowd; can you turn it off on eirsport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I dont have eirsport so will be heading to my folks for the match. Can't stand the fake crowd; can you turn it off on eirsport?

Doubt it, don't think they have red button or anything like that on Eirsports normally and I wouldn't hold my breath for them to be willing to broadcast two streams of it anyways

I'll only accept crowd noise from a game if they include snippets of commentary from Bill McLaren on Jonah Lomu rugby game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Will they have the right sound for Leinster fans murmuring their appreciation for a James Lowe sledging through a bacon and pear sandwich?

I'll only accept crowd noise from a game if they include snippets of commentary from Bill McLaren on Jonah Lomu rugby game.

“Oh! Mercy me! What a tackle by Snyman! That could’ve put Lowe in Ward 4!”

“I hope not Bill, that’s a maternity ward!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Zzippy wrote: »
    Will they have the right sound for Leinster fans murmuring their appreciation for a James Lowe sledging through a bacon and pear sandwich?

The only appropriate sound for Leinster fans in the Aviva is "scuse me, sorry, scuse me, can I get past there" followed by "SIX PINTS OF HEINEKEN PLEASE MY GOOD MAN"

Munster will be represented by the sound of tin foil being unwrapped from sangwiches and flasks of tay being opened, except for the last five minutes when "jesus Mossy, we'd better head off if we're going to beat the traffic" will ring around the stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sigh.

Who would you nominate for the position of "Sherman tank"?

• Advertisement

D'Arcy's take

Efycrw-XsAIAXAx?format=jpg&name=large

"Sexto" is definitely up there among the worst nicknames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Think D'Arcy is a bit guilty of sticking up for his mates. Larmour is first choice full back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Does D'Arcy think replacement hookers wear 18?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Does D'Arcy think replacement hookers wear 18?

He’s a back, they know nothing About rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Clegg wrote: »
    Think D'Arcy is a bit guilty of sticking up for his mates. Larmour is first choice full back now.

Surprise!
    He's just probably looking for a reaction to his team.
    Work has dried up at the Irish Times!

As a self confessed rugby sap... its mad that he cant be bothered to properly list a team.
    & whats wrong with a pen and paper?? Good grief

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    "Sexto" is definitely up there among the worst nicknames.

with Trimby

Clegg wrote: »

Absolutely.

I think Kearney still offers something so he might get the 23 shirt if for nothing more than sentimentality.

But Larmour has to be first choice 15 with Keenan looking to get as many minutes as possible there going forward.

Other than that I think he's bang on

Leo is quite sentimental so I expect Kearney to be given every chance to earn his place at 15.

Leo is quite sentimental so I expect Kearney to be given every chance to earn his place at 15.

Feel it would be a wasted opportunity for others at this stage.

11 years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isJyWKs5DPc
    Doing all the things he was good at.

79:10....how did they loose that game again?
    ;)

Feel it would be a wasted opportunity for others at this stage.

11 years ago.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isJyWKs5DPc
    Doing all the things he was good at.

79:10....how did they loose that game again?
    ;)

may be a wasted opportunity, but they didn't bring him back not to play.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement