Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New office PC build, but make it gaming in future

Options
  • 17-08-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I currently use a laptop for work (Dell XPS 13, core i7-6600U, 8GB RAM) and it's fine, but chugs along at times. The work I am doing has me dealing with larger and larger spreadsheets lately (~400k rows, ~1,000 columns), and the poor laptop is struggling. Short term I can use a PC in the office and RDP into it, but I'd like to get a new build of my own. I don't want a gaming PC right now, as I neither have the time or the money for that, but what I would like is the ability to have an easy upgrade path to getting a GPU and adding it in afterwards. Is this something that is best achieved as a build your own? Or do off the shelf options allow for easy upgrade paths too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Oh, one thing I meant to note - I am hoping to start back with java coding at some point, so my main needs would be:
    1. General office work (Windows is a must), with a tendency to have to use large-ish spreadsheets/etc
    2. A need to run (on occasion) local DB instances
    3. A decent spec for java development (initially as a hobby, but hoping to get work involved also)
    4. Maybe light gaming for now (games like Civ, Anno, not FPS) if possible using integrated graphics
    5. A decent upgrade path to a proper GPU being installed

Advertisement