Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Aerial

• 17-08-2020 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi, I have a question.

I moved into a new place, there is an old sky dish erected outside, but I don't see any aerial for terrestrial TV.
    I got an Ariva combi box and plugged the leads from the dish to into the combi box (there are 2 leads coming from the dish) but I can't get any channels at all, after a scan.

Also, I bought an indoor aerial and connected that to the combi box and can't get any RTE channels either.

I'm at a loss.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hollyworth wrote: »
    Hi, I have a question.

I moved into a new place, there is an old sky dish erected outside, but I don't see any aerial for terrestrial TV.
    I got an Ariva combi box and plugged the leads from the dish to into the combi box (there are 2 leads coming from the dish) but I can't get any channels at all, after a scan.

Also, I bought an indoor aerial and connected that to the combi box and can't get any RTE channels either.

I'm at a loss.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

If the LNB on the dish is for Sky Q then it likely will not work with the Ariva. You need a different LNB in that case.

Indoor aerials are hit and miss, and completely dependent no only on the aerial itself but also on building, distance to mast and other variables.
    You could try the aerial at a window facing the mast and might have some success.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

If the LNB on the dish is for Sky Q then it likely will not work with the Ariva. You need a different LNB in that case.

Indoor aerials are hit and miss, and completely dependent no only on the aerial itself but also on building, distance to mast and other variables.
    You could try the aerial at a window facing the mast and might have some success.

Thanks a lot. When you say a different LNB, what do you mean exactly? I'm a little behind on my tech. Haha

Thanks a lot. When you say a different LNB, what do you mean exactly? I'm a little behind on my tech. Haha

That is the small device attached to the end of the arm of the dish to which the coax cables attach.
    Sky q used a special one, whereas you now require a generic LNB ...... of course that is only an assumption on my part that it was Sky Q the previous owner had installed.

This LNB has connections for 4 cables
    https://www.freetv.ie/quad-lnb/

That is the small device attached to the end of the arm of the dish to which the coax cables attach.
    Sky q used a special one, whereas you now require a generic LNB ...... of course that is only an assumption on my part that it was Sky Q the previous owner had installed.

This LNB has connections for 4 cables
    https://www.freetv.ie/quad-lnb/

Thanks.
    If I buy an LNB like that can I hook it up myself?

Thanks.
    If I buy an LNB like that can I hook it up myself?

You could but a couple of things to bear in mind ......

there might be a suitable LNB on the dish at present so it would be a waste to buy another

the dish might not be pointing at the Astra satellite for some reason

The cables coming down might be damaged or disconnected

All of which could cause the Ariva to fail to find any channels.

Also correct positioning of the dish and also the proper fitting of the LNB are critical to good reception.

So it really depends on you and your capabilities ....... but first determine what kind of LNB is fitted presently.

• Advertisement

You could but a couple of things to bear in mind ......

there might be a suitable LNB on the dish at present so it would be a waste to buy another

the dish might not be pointing at the Astra satellite for some reason

The cables coming down might be damaged or disconnected

All of which could cause the Ariva to fail to find any channels.

Also correct positioning of the dish and also the proper fitting of the LNB are critical to good reception.

So it really depends on you and your capabilities ....... but first determine what kind of LNB is fitted presently.

Thanks!

The dish has two cables coming from it and both are leading into the house. I connected one of them to my combi box and it brings up some stations, but none of the good ones. Only some obscure ones like Yesterday or Drama. But ITV, BBC etc say "no signal"

Very frustrating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The settings on the box when tuning in the stations might be the issue. I recently tuned in a box using an old satellite cable from a sky dish, but took a few goes to get bbc, itv, channels 4, e4 etc

What worked for me, at least, was to select Astra 2 28.2 and scan encrypted stations. You can edit them afterwards to save some hassle and make it easier when viewing. One of the cables from the dish should do the job. The two satellite cables are probably from an old sky+ installation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭MenloPete

Only some obscure ones like Yesterday or Drama. But ITV, BBC etc say "no signal"

Very frustrating

That makes it sound like a SkyQ LNB.

-=al=- wrote: »
    The settings on the box when tuning in the stations might be the issue. I recently tuned in a box using an old satellite cable from a sky dish, but took a few goes to get bbc, itv, channels 4, e4 etc

What worked for me, at least, was to select Astra 2 28.2 and scan encrypted stations. You can edit them afterwards to save some hassle and make it easier when viewing. One of the cables from the dish should do the job. The two satellite cables are probably from an old sky+ installation

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Our regular indoor aerial expert (not) must be on holidays - a thread with a title like that and he hasn't responded :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement