Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Spain - What to Consider?

Options
13»

Comments

Hola, Yes I know all this. But it is not that accessible anymore really.

A family member has a place in Casares above Estepona. None of us have been able to visit this year. And hence my username. They are very generous to offer it to us, but they are quite despondent going forward.

But that's life.

As per the other threads, you can visit if you want. You are choosing not to. There's a difference. That's your choice but it needn't be the choice of the op.

I wouldn't rent a house in Spain to anyone. The profits aren't that much for an Irish person to suffer the headaches.

Then there's also the Spanish tenency laws and squatting. It doesn't take much to put you in the red. The legal system is slow. I'll repeat it, slow. Even the supposed fast track systems are slow.

By all means pick up a spot and let trusted people use it but get good, very good security because they will target summer homes.

I have witnessed both tenants becoming squatters and holiday homes broken into and squatting. Nightmare even if you are local, nevermind sitting in Ireland with basic Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes, where are you thinking of buying?

And if you are not trolling why would you consider this now of all times on the planet.

Do you not tire yourself out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

mikep wrote: »
    Hi there
    Would these be timber frame houses?

What is the planning process like??

I'd be interested in looking at something like that..

There's a number of companies that provide everything from timber to concrete and steel. All different styles from rustic to super modern. They have off the shelf solutions that you can customise (floor layout) or you can give them your own design and they'll work from that. We're looking at a timber build because we prefer it, the difference is not too much cost wise.

As regards planning, it generally depends on the site. Some sites have restrictions on the size of the dwelling, number of buildings etc because they are, e.g., on or near a protected area. But generally a site that you'll buy will have planning permission already granted, for e.g., single family home, the sqm, whether it can be two stories and so on.

There are different types of sites: just land, buildable land, and then urban land. Usually you want urban land as it's hooked up to all the utilities and will generally have planning applied for and/or approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Diceicle wrote: »
    Thats something I'd not considered before. In relation to getting connected to utilties (water etc) whats the situation there? Is there any major cost involved?

Sorry just saw this after I answered mikep. You would generally buy an 'urban' plot that is connected up to the utilities/sewerage etc. Then when the house is build it's just plumbed in.

There'd be connection costs of course, but you have to pay those whenever you start a new utility contract. It wouldn't be much of an expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Diceicle wrote: »
    The intention is to eventually buy a place in Spain where we can holiday and eventually retire to.
    Pelezico wrote: »
    and Healty care system is good too.

The health care system is great for procedures, but community care and step down care really isn't good. Even in hospital there's an expectation that family help in looking after you while an inpatient. So you really need a good family support network as you get older. My father is over there nearly 20 years, and his wife passed away last year after a long illness and a number of procedures. For all the positives I'd be reluctant to retire there.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd agree with that poster that the only place practically guaranteed sun and warmth all winter is the Canaries (and obv that's not completely guaranteed either!)

As I said before, I go every year to Ibiza and Denia before/at Easter, and we've had some absolutely horrendous weather (ironically, the worst was the year Easter was the latest it could be) and the place is SO not set up for inclement weather, it was just miserable!

Denia is quite simply, beautiful. My friend lives in Oliva where the beach is spectacular and property is cheap.....10k from Denia.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

I don’t agree with those saying mainland Spain is not hot all year. Some parts of the costa del sol is hot all year, with temperatures in the 20s in the winter months.

Also, mainland Spain gives you access (train/car) to the rest of Spain and Europe. The canaries are further to travel to and once you’ve seen the islands a couple of times you’ve seen it all. Great for a holiday, not so great for a place to live in the future.

If you are looking for authentic Spain with access to thousands of towns and cities, definitely mainland is the way to go.

My mother’s friend bought a place in Gran Canaria and after a couple of years he was so bored because you see the same thing over and over again and it’s tiny in comparison to mainland Spain.

Just a thought!

You have to learn the language if you intend retiring in Spain. My friend spent several years working in South America.

My friend reckons you do not want to be there July and August. Too hot for locals.

Pelezico wrote: »
    You have to learn the language if you intend retiring in Spain. My friend spent several years working in South America.

My friend reckons you do not want to be there July and August. Too hot for locals.

You certainly SHOULD learn the language and embrace the local culture but its optional. The majority of ex pats in the costa barely know the basics. little Britain means they dont need to learn the lingo

Can you expand on the relevance of your friends experience in South America to this subject?

• Advertisement

You certainly SHOULD learn the language and embrace the local culture but its optional. The majority of ex pats in the costa barely know the basics. little Britain means they dont need to learn the lingo

Can you expand on the relevance of your friends experience in South America to this subject?

He learned Spanish. When retirees get older, they become vulnerable if they do not have language skills.

Advertisement