Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/2021 Premier League Injuries and Suspensions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭CSF

KWP is the only player in my team I still have since the start of the season.

Shipping him out for Cancelo most likely this week with that injury.
    Jesus, I lost my only remaining ever present (Brewster) in GW9. I had a terrible starting team. Not a single one of my first 11 even been in my squad since about GW5.

Leno
    Doherty
    Alexander Arnold
    Robertson
    Vinagre
    Pereira
    Aubameyang
    Rodriguez
    Saint Maximin
    Werner
    Mitrovic

Safe to say this would not have been a very good bet for a stick and forget league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

CSF wrote: »
    Jesus, I lost my only remaining ever present (Brewster) in GW9. I had a terrible starting team. Not a single one of my first 11 even been in my squad since about GW5.

Leno
    Doherty
    Alexander Arnold
    Robertson
    Vinagre
    Pereira
    Aubameyang
    Rodriguez
    Saint Maximin
    Werner
    Mitrovic

Safe to say this would not have been a very good bet for a stick and forget league.

You shouldve bought Pereira back for the DGW. :pac:

You shouldve bought Pereira back for the DGW. :pac:
    I'd have taken Aubameyang too tbh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

siblers wrote: »

Even though he has a settled centre-back partnership it looks like Pep wants to give minutes to Laporte, Ake and to a lesser extent Garcia.

It's no wonder I suppose considering the wages those guys must be commanding.

Even though he has a settled centre-back partnership it looks like Pep wants to give minutes to Laporte, Ake and to a lesser extent Garcia.

It's no wonder I suppose considering the wages those guys must be commanding.
    FA Cup minutes maybe. I don't genuinely believe Pep will split up the first reliable partnership he has had in English football in his pursuit to win the league and Champions League.

There may be a very occasional rest, but I think it will be very very occasional. Not even sure Laporte and the lads would get the nod in the League Cup final or semi final and beyond of FA Cup if City get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Laporte is a brilliant defender, he'll work his way back in once fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,148 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

FA Cup minutes maybe. I don't genuinely believe Pep will split up the first reliable partnership he has had in English football in his pursuit to win the league and Champions League.

There may be a very occasional rest, but I think it will be very very occasional. Not even sure Laporte and the lads would get the nod in the League Cup final or semi final and beyond of FA Cup if City get there.

Yeah maybe I'm reading too much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Ake, not what I want to hear.

(Dias and stones owner)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Laporte is fit. He hasn't been great since he came back from injury. City are much better defensively since they settled on Dias and Stones

Why would he? City have conceded 1 consolation time goal total in the 9 games that Dias and Stones have partnered each other?

You are basically asking for trouble if you go change that. Would just make zero sense unless the City defence regressed to the point where you might not want double ups anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Dearg81

The only game he might rotate is probably next week against Sheffield United at home.

Dearg81 wrote: »
    The only game he might rotate is probably next week against Sheffield United at home.

That or Burnley (because it’s right before Liverpool) would be the spots to do it if he was planning to though.

CB just doesn’t seem like somewhere you rest players though or rotate. You look at all the defences towards the top of the clean sheet tables. CBs ever presents barring injuries or suspensions.

Plenty of changes among a number of the lesser defences. As they try to fall upon a formula for success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Has there been an injury update on Rashford? He was due to have a scan I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

If Guardiola changes Dias and Stones, and City go off track, he will have truly out-Pepped himself. It would be insanity to change that partnership up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭claw

Why would he? City have conceded 1 consolation time goal total in the 9 games that Dias and Stones have partnered each other?

You are basically asking for trouble if you go change that. Would just make zero sense unless the City defence regressed to the point where you might not want double ups anyway.

They have had the kindest run of fixtures. Since playing Spurs away they have played Burnley, Fulham, West Brom, Newcastle, Brighton, Palace and Villa all at home, a Palace without Zaha who have caused them trouble at the Ethiad in the past, and a Villa that hadn't played for ages. 3 away matches. Chelsea in disarray and a United team happy with their 0-0. 3 more easy matches coming up. How many goals do you think a team like City should be conceding in those matches.

I have Cancelo and Dias and I am happy with it for the moment while they continue to play the bottom teams. They are good value because they weren't expensive in the first place. But Pep will rotate because the Champions League is more important to City at the moment. Will be amazed if Laporte isn't at least sharing the centre half duties with Stones. Think Dias is nailed on.

claw wrote: »
    They have had the kindest run of fixtures. Since playing Spurs away they have played Burnley, Fulham, West Brom, Newcastle, Brighton, Palace and Villa all at home, a Palace without Zaha who have caused them trouble at the Ethiad in the past, and a Villa that hadn't played for ages. 3 away matches. Chelsea in disarray and a United team happy with their 0-0. 3 more easy matches coming up. How many goals do you think a team like City should be conceding in those matches.

I have Cancelo and Dias and I am happy with it for the moment while they continue to play the bottom teams. They are good value because they weren't expensive in the first place. But Pep will rotate because the Champions League is more important to City at the moment. Will be amazed if Laporte isn't at least sharing the centre half duties with Stones. Think Dias is nailed on.
    I find it surprising that you think this way, because the only team in the Premier League who has more clean sheets than what Dias and Stones achieved in the 9 games they played together is Aston Villa (9 from 17 games).

And all these defences play those teams you mentioned also. What Dias and Stones have done together as a partnership is exceptional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Obviously everyone who's watched football over the past few years have Laporte miles over Stones. If any of the big 6 were offered one of City's CB's they'd probably take Laporte.

But Laporte was dropped after a shaky performance in the loss to Spurs where he was dragged all over the place. He got caught tracking Kane deep a few times while Son ran in behind. City were 9th after that game.

Since then, he was fit for 7 games, Stones/Dias kept 5 clean sheets, only conceded an OG and a 94th minute consolation at Chelsea. They're now 2nd.

There's no way Guardiola breaks that up for anything more than a rest for one of the CB's

I find it surprising that you think this way, because the only team in the Premier League who has more clean sheets than what Dias and Stones achieved in the 9 games they played together is Aston Villa (9 from 17 games).

And all these defences play those teams you mentioned also. What Dias and Stones have done together as a partnership is exceptional.

What point are you making here exactly? The point was raised that Pep is probably going to play Garcia, Zinchenko and Laporte in the next while and people are going to get rested. He is the manager, you aren't :)

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Obviously everyone who's watched football over the past few years have Laporte miles over Stones. If any of the big 6 were offered one of City's CB's they'd probably take Laporte.

But Laporte was dropped after a shaky performance in the loss to Spurs where he was dragged all over the place. He got caught tracking Kane deep a few times while Son ran in behind. City were 9th after that game.

Since then, he was fit for 7 games, Stones/Dias kept 5 clean sheets, only conceded an OG and a 94th minute consolation at Chelsea. They're now 2nd.

There's no way Guardiola breaks that up for anything more than a rest for one of the CB's

Stones wasn’t actually playing for the game with the OG. He has played every minute since.

Shedite27 wrote: »

I think that is the point that is being made though. Pep will prioritise matches going forward. With KDB injured he is going to make sure whatever he thinks his full team is will be fit for Anfield. Which means there will likely be changes in at least one of the next 3 matches.

• Advertisement

I think that is the point that is being made though. Pep will prioritise matches going forward. With KDB injured he is going to make sure whatever he thinks his full team is will be fit for Anfield. Which means there will likely be changes in at least one of the next 3 matches.

How often do you see rests at CB? Rotation usually only happens when the manager hasn’t figured out his partnership.

When at the end of the season you look at the ever presents, it’s usually the GKs and CBs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Will be amazed if Laporte isn't at least sharing the centre half duties with Stones. Think Dias is nailed on.
    What point are you making here exactly? The point was raised that Pep is probably going to play Garcia, Zinchenko and Laporte in the next while and people are going to get rested. He is the manager, you aren't :)

'Sharing centre-half duties' sounds like you reckon he'll be swapping them in and out game-to-game. Surely nobody does this with a team that is conceding close to zero goals per game.

How often do you see rests at CB? Rotation usually only happens when the manager hasn’t figured out his partnership.

When at the end of the season you look at the ever presents, it’s usually the GKs and CBs

I do agree with you that the centre halves shouldn't get rotated. You only have to see what is happening with Liverpool this season and City in the past few seasons to see what happens when there are changes in the back four. But the schedule of matches over the next while is such that I would be surprised if he didn't make changes.

elefant wrote: »
    'Sharing centre-half duties' sounds like you reckon he'll be swapping them in and out game-to-game. Surely nobody does this with a team that is conceding close to zero goals per game.

Sharing was badly put :) But the amount of matches being played is ridiculous. I find it hard to believe that he rests players for the Swansea match and not any other match.

I do agree with you that the centre halves shouldn't get rotated. You only have to see what is happening with Liverpool this season and City in the past few seasons to see what happens when there are changes in the back four. But the schedule of matches over the next while is such that I would be surprised if he didn't make changes.

But you mentioned sharing centre half duties, which is quite different to an occasional rest.

If the suggestion is that Stones and Dias are as susceptible as anyone to maybe not being able to play 20 games in 6 days, then I agree.

But most of the points in the last while made seemed to be suggesting something different.

But you mentioned sharing centre half duties, which is quite different to an occasional rest.

If the suggestion is that Stones and Dias are as susceptible as anyone to maybe not being able to play 20 games in 6 days, then I agree.

But most of the points in the last while made seemed to be suggesting something different.

I think anyone would need a rest if they have to play 20 games in 6 days :) Will be interesting to see how we all do out of City the next while with all the matches and KDB out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,885 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

So how about those premier league injuries and suspensions, eh?
    Go sports!

Seriously though, Auba is out. What's up with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So how about those premier league injuries and suspensions, eh?
    Go sports!

Seriously though, Auba is out. What's up with that.

Just says personal issues - could be anything

‘We’ve heard that Kane has injured both ankles and Spurs expect him to miss a few weeks’

That’s from the match presenter on the channel I’m watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Taking Kane out this GW with that injury and already I've 4.2 ITB.

Not a clue what to do.

Advertisement