Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/2021 Premier League Injuries and Suspensions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah getting rid of Salah would be madness imo, you need him as the captaincy option with LIverpool's upcoming fixtures, especially now with penalties. Would be a double up.

I was very sure on Jota yesterday, but currently looking at Jota vs Watkins vs Bamford (will choose 2 of the 3) and it's not an easy decision. Ultimately while I'm pretty sure Jota will play, he's not 100% nailed like the other two. Still think he's probably worth bringing in however

If you own Grealish is Watkins the odd one out from that 3? Is a Villa double up too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

If you own Grealish is Watkins the odd one out from that 3? Is a Villa double up too much?

Arguably yes, have Martinez too. A poxy Villa performance could really dent a gameweek. Currently Watkins is left out.

Still considering it for the next 3 though with Watkins having much better fixtures to Bam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Gomez confirmed out for significant part of season following surgery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Salah has Covid19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

dahat wrote: »
    Salah has Covid19.

Wonder how long he is out for? Is it two weeks from the day he got the results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Apparently they need negative result a week before they can play. So won't be available unless miracolusly tested negative tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

This is just a sh*t season. There is absolutely no enjoyment in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭CSF

wonski wrote: »
    Apparently they need negative result a week before they can play. So won't be available unless miracolusly tested negative tomorrow.

Well false positives aren’t completely rare so it’s not entirely impossible. I imagine if he’s in Egypt he can’t leave til he tests negative?

Alan Browne who played yesterday also tested positive. There could be a lot more players getting positive results as a result. The upcoming gameweek could be carnage

Just leave Kane, DCL and Grealish alone please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

siblers wrote: »
    Alan Browne who played yesterday also tested positive. There could be a lot more players getting positive results as a result. The upcoming gameweek could be carnage

Just leave Kane, DCL and Grealish alone please

The question is ...did he get it from an England player or Ireland player ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

The question is ...did he get it from an England player or Ireland player ?

If he only tested positive today then he most probably contracted it more than 48hrs previous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭shmeee

International football was such an incredibly stupid idea during a pandemic.

CSF wrote: »
    International football was such an incredibly stupid idea during a pandemic.

International football is one thing because they are competitive games, but who decided international friendlies were “necessary “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

International football is such an incredibly stupid idea during a pandemic.

Fixed your post. Completely agree that this was an inconsiderate and unnecessary approach given the additional risk from illness, nevermind the injuries. They should have just given the players a break as it's lockdown in most countries right now.

If he only tested positive today then he most probably contracted it more than 48hrs previous.

If my memory is correct, day5 and day7 is when covid is mostly detected , which could mean some of the english players mentioned DCL, Kane, etc might get a positive test just before next round of fixtures.

So far there seems to be a lot of news surrounding players who may or may not have it, salah reportedly attended his brothers wedding, which seemed to have a lot of people in attendance and not a lot of social distancing involved judging by the pics, so it’s not surprising that players are testing positive when they allow themselves to be put in a position where they come into contact with strangers for prolonged periods of time.

Next 2-3 rounds of fixtures might see a number of players out due to covid, which may or may not cause fixtures to be abandoned, it will certainly mean some teams will field weakened squads, and teams without international players might get a result.

Teams without international players must be hoping their players can obey the bubble recommendations and limit social interactions during the international break.

International football is one thing because they are competitive games, but who decided international friendlies were “necessary “

Obviously friendly games are worse but the same applies for competitive games IMO. It’s way too risky shipping like 30+ people from different bubbles in different countries with varying degrees of infection into a whole new bubble and assuming everything is gonna be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,772 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Obviously friendly games are worse but the same applies for competitive games IMO. It’s way too risky shipping like 30+ people from different bubbles in different countries with varying degrees of infection into a whole new bubble and assuming everything is gonna be ok.

Would you apply the same logic to champions league and UEFA cup games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ace2007 wrote: »

Champions League games means players stay within their club bubble and go together, home together. One singular travel route. Obviously there is a some travel risk involved but the club bubble stays together.

International games means that there are up to 23 different bubbles mixing together flying across many different travel routes and mixing with many different bubbles, 3 times. The risk level is heightened many times over.

Liverpool put on a private jet for Wijnaldum so the travel risk would be lessened but he is mixing with what, 18(at a guess?) different club bubbles now with the Holland team. One of their players tested positive after a few days of training with the other players. all those clubs could potentially be at risk now.

International games are way worse.

Ace2007 wrote: »

I think those fall somewhere in between in terms of risk. There’s travel involved in those too which is increased risk, but it’s still only 2 groups from 2 places. International football they’re coming from everywhere to form a whole new social bubble.

All social interactions create risk of transmission, but are you gonna feel safer going into a camp with a bunch of people from your low-infection country, or meeting up with a load of guys coming in from somewhere like Poland where things are currently at their worst.

• Advertisement

I don't understand why they're are so many games for each break. Did Ireland really need to play England on Thursday? Not sure what purpose it served.

They'd have benefited more from a training camp

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

siblers wrote: »
    I don't understand why they're are so many games for each break. Did Ireland really need to play England on Thursday? Not sure what purpose it served.

They'd have benefited more from a training camp

That was last minute, wasn't it.
    England had a game that was cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think those fall somewhere in between in terms of risk. There’s travel involved in those too which is increased risk, but it’s still only 2 groups from 2 places. International football they’re coming from everywhere to form a whole new social bubble.

All social interactions create risk of transmission, but are you gonna feel safer going into a camp with a bunch of people from your low-infection country, or meeting up with a load of guys coming in from somewhere like Poland where things are currently at their worst.

I agree with what you are saying about mixing but not with the UK being a low-infection country. This pandemic numbers tracking site gives confirmed infection numbers in the UK for the last 14 days higher than Poland. I understand there are more people in the UK but that still does not mean every where in the rest of the world is worse. The numbers in South Korea are considerably better than the UK.

The players in the premier league are under regular testing for the disease to allow rates of the disease be kept lower among players so competitions can continue but if international teams are unable to offer the same or better levels of control I think it makes sense to pause the international games until there is a viable vaccine. As you said it is simply creating too much extra mixing of people in close groups. The club schedule is already more compressed this year without adding to the problem by having the best players at increased risk of enforced absences from competition.

macraignil wrote: »
    I agree with what you are saying about mixing but not with the UK being a low-infection country. This pandemic numbers tracking site gives confirmed infection numbers in the UK for the last 14 days higher than Poland. I understand there are more people in the UK but that still does not mean every where in the rest of the world is worse. The numbers in South Korea are considerably better than the UK.

The players in the premier league are under regular testing for the disease to allow rates of the disease be kept lower among players so competitions can continue but if international teams are unable to offer the same or better levels of control I think it makes sense to pause the international games until there is a viable vaccine. As you said it is simply creating too much extra mixing of people in close groups. The club schedule is already more compressed this year without adding to the problem by having the best players at increased risk of enforced absences from competition.
    My post wasn’t with reference to the UK though. It was discussing international football in general. There will be lower case countries who won’t want their players in camps with guys from the UK, and there will be even higher case countries, who the UK clubs won’t want their players in camps with.

The whole thing is a gigantic mess by design. International travel is literally how Covid became a worldwide pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,419 ✭✭✭Shedite27

F1ngers wrote: »
    That was last minute, wasn't it.
    England had a game that was cancelled.

Yeah England were due to play New Zealand, Ireland to play Bosnia. To minimise covid exposure they rearranged it at short notice. 90% of players on both teams played in England anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Salah will miss one game prob no way I’m taking him out

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Salah will miss one game prob no way I’m taking him out

I think that will depend on when he actually gets back from Egypt. If he has to self isolate in Egypt for 10 days, that would probably call him into question for game 2.

The good news is that we have up until next Saturday to gather news, so people need to just wait, and make a decision based on the information available then.

If he’s out for game 1 but pretty certain to be back for game 2 I will hold and bench, if it looks a good bit less certain than that for week 2, I reckon I will move him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Salah already getting lots of sells. If we can get the news he misses two games before he drops and he was bought at 12m might be able to get him back for the same price he's sold for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

I think that will depend on when he actually gets back from Egypt. If he has to self isolate in Egypt for 10 days, that would probably call him into question for game 2.

The good news is that we have up until next Saturday to gather news, so people need to just wait, and make a decision based on the information available then.

If he’s out for game 1 but pretty certain to be back for game 2 I will hold and bench, if it looks a good bit less certain than that for week 2, I reckon I will move him on.

God knows what will happen between now and then. Happy to have my Free Hit still intact for next gameweek if needed as it could be panice stations on the Friday yet.

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    Salah already getting lots of sells. If we can get the news he misses two games before he drops and he was bought at 12m might be able to get him back for the same price he's sold for.

Honestly, just wait. There could be so much more information on this and other players to come. I was close to doing a transfer because I wouldn’t be able to afford to do it if I’d waited, but I’m so glad I didn’t now.

This may not be the last FPL relevant player to catch it in this window.

Advertisement