Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a wheelset....

Options
  • 17-08-2020 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on a new wheelset for my bike, and my brain is properly fried by the choices available, so i'm looking for the wise people of boards to help me out.

My bike is a 2017 Trek Domane SL6, the wheelset on it is stock Bontrager "Race", which are a fairly clunky and heavy aluminium wheel.

What I'd like to get is something a good bit lighter as most of my cycling ambitions centre around climbing and making that slightly more pleasant if possible.

I'm happy to spend a few €€ as I guess / hope this is a one off investment and the wheelset may outlive the bike etc etc.

So far I've looked at DT Swiss PR1400's, Hunt Race Aero, and Mavic R-Sys SLR....

All I really want is a light wheel set that will be an upgrade from what I currently have - the price difference even between those 3 sets above is melting my brain, the Hunts are around €500, the DT Swiss are €700 and the Mavis are nearly twice that....

Can anyone suggest me an alternative, or indeed any wisdom or guidance on the above? It seems going tubeless is the thing to do as well, even though I'm not sure why either...

Heelllllppppp meeeeee!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Have a look at this company.Highly recommended

https://scribecycling.eu/

And a 5% discount for CI members

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

I can only comment on the Hunt wheels, which I replaced a set of Aksiums with maybe 10,000km ago. I've found them excellent, no issues with build quality (though they were definitely closer to €400 at the time). Made a huge difference for me anyway; more responsive and genuinely quicker for the same effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The R-sys are drop dead gorgeous. Top notch but top dollar. Keep an eye out on Mantel, Rose, Bike24 and other German websites. You can get them for around €12-1300, a lot less than you'd pay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

Thanks for the thoughts everyone - I've pushed the button just now on some Hunt Carbon Wide Aero 36's after much deliberation and general foostering around. Will drop feedback when I get them!

• Advertisement

And the lads themselves, happily installed on the bike. Great decision, they are fantastic, thanks all for the help

50512477456_95ff68cd6f_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

How did you find them for tyre fitting? Easy peasy or swear-jar-filling knuckle-fcukery?

fat bloke wrote: »
    How did you find them for tyre fitting? Easy peasy or swear-jar-filling knuckle-fcukery?

Ah, I cheated and ordered them direct from Hunt with the Pro 1's already installed, sealant in, ready to go. I did still manage to rip the crap out of my knuckles swapping my cassette around so there is that....

Ah, I cheated and ordered them direct from Hunt with the Pro 1's already installed, sealant in, ready to go. I did still manage to rip the crap out of my knuckles swapping my cassette around so there is that....

Ah right, ok. I have heard that tyres can be tight. - Sure if/when you find out, you can come back and let us know! :). They look great anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

fat bloke wrote: »
    Ah right, ok. I have heard that tyres can be tight. - Sure if/when you find out, you can come back and let us know! :). They look great anyway!

Depends on the rim I guess as well but I found these near impossible to get on. Used a bit of fairy liquid and got them on but that then ruined the tubeless rim tape so back to square 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Picked up another pair of Fulcrum Racing 5's today - brake track is totally dead on the old 7's, fantastic set of training wheels, fairly light too - 1.6kg I think? Good hard wearing wheels at a very reasonable price

Great wheels the racing 5's

Advertisement