Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do coffee shops only serve one bean?

Options
  • 17-08-2020 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭

Was out and about yesterday and had cause to wonder about this when we went looking for a coffee shop. Found a place on Google maps, drove to it and when we got there it had signage outside saying they serve Ariosa coffee. Both me and my friend dont like Ariosa, we both drink long black coffees and find it bitter. Having had Ariosa before at least three or four times the bitterness is not as a result of bad extraction, it just is what is. So we headed elsewhere to a different coffee shop, there was no point going into the first one for a coffee we knew we wouldnt like.

It got me wondering because in a world full of choice when you go for coffee each shop has one bean and that is it. If I go into a pub I will have a choice of five or six lagers, two maybe three stouts and a couple of ciders all on tap. But a coffee shop has one bean and that is it, if you dont like it you have to go elsewhere. I really think they are missing a trick here. Even if they were just to offer a second bean at least the customer would be getting some choice. It means they would need a second grinder but thats surely better than losing business.

It also got me wondering about how coffee shops are actually choosing their bean. Me and my mate are likely in a small minority of customers who drink either a long black or espresso and nothing else The vast majority of sales I see are cappucinos/lattes/flat whites, i.e. all milky coffees where the sweetness of the milk disguises and actually balances out a bitter coffee bean. Whereas using that same bean in an espresso or long black exposes the bitterness.

So are there any coffee shops you know of that offer a choice of bean? Ive yet to come across one myself but would be interested to know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Me and my mate are likely in a small minority of customers who drink either a long black or espresso and nothing else

you've answered your own question there.

Having to get a second grinder, second supply contract etc ... not worth it for the very odd customer who will want a choice of a second bean ... and if there was a second bean - who is to say if you'd like that one either - do they need 4 / 5 options ?

I would drink long blacks myself and to be honest as long as I stay away from the obvious chains i enjoy them. I am quite partial to Ariosa mind you - i live near drogheda and would have a coffee in there most days of the week when I am around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Was out and about yesterday and had cause to wonder about this when we went looking for a coffee shop. Found a place on Google maps, drove to it and when we got there it had signage outside saying they serve Ariosa coffee. Both me and my friend dont like Ariosa, we both drink long black coffees and find it bitter. Having had Ariosa before at least three or four times the bitterness is not as a result of bad extraction, it just is what is. So we headed elsewhere to a different coffee shop, there was no point going into the first one for a coffee we knew we wouldnt like.

It got me wondering because in a world full of choice when you go for coffee each shop has one bean and that is it. If I go into a pub I will have a choice of five or six lagers, two maybe three stouts and a couple of ciders all on tap. But a coffee shop has one bean and that is it, if you dont like it you have to go elsewhere. I really think they are missing a trick here. Even if they were just to offer a second bean at least the customer would be getting some choice. It means they would need a second grinder but thats surely better than losing business.

It also got me wondering about how coffee shops are actually choosing their bean. Me and my mate are likely in a small minority of customers who drink either a long black or espresso and nothing else The vast majority of sales I see are cappucinos/lattes/flat whites, i.e. all milky coffees where the sweetness of the milk disguises and actually balances out a bitter coffee bean. Whereas using that same bean in an espresso or long black exposes the bitterness.

So are there any coffee shops you know of that offer a choice of bean? Ive yet to come across one myself but would be interested to know.

Sounds like you're going to coffee shops that may just be chain coffee or cafes that don't really care about coffee. Any good coffee shop I've been to will serve more than one type of bean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Insomnia do a light roast for a few cent extra, and it's not a bad coffee for a chain shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I've gone back to Insomnia since I discovered the Voyager option, couldn't drink their main coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sounds like you're going to coffee shops that may just be chain coffee or cafes that don't really care about coffee. Any good coffee shop I've been to will serve more than one type of bean.

Im not going to chain coffee shops like Insomnia/Costa but Im not in Dublin either so dont have as good a choice of shops as I did when I was living there.

Out of interest what shops do you know that are serving more than one bean? As said in the OP Ive never come across it.

• Advertisement

Finbees in Bray have a choice of 4 beans, it's on the seafront in the same building as the sealife centre - House Blend, Dark Roast, Light Roast and Decaf

I really like the light roast one, and would get it fairly often

cheers, would you say it is becoming more widespread or more so something you have to seek out amongst the independent coffee shops?

cheers, would you say it is becoming more widespread or more so something you have to seek out amongst the independent coffee shops?

I'd say it's getting a little better, but I do ask in places and if all they have is a dark roast geared toward milky sugary drinks then I won't bother with coffee at all.

cheers must get in the habit of asking as it may not always be obvious unless they promote it loudly. It might also make those who dont do it think of introducing it.

cheers must get in the habit of asking as it may not always be obvious unless they promote it loudly. It might also make those who dont do it think of introducing it.

it's the only way to get the idea into the heads of these places.

I enjoy craft beer too and make it a point of asking in places that very obviously don't have any because usually is the answer is "nobody wants it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Im not going to chain coffee shops like Insomnia/Costa but Im not in Dublin either so dont have as good a choice of shops as I did when I was living there.

Out of interest what shops do you know that are serving more than one bean? As said in the OP Ive never come across it.

Cakeface in Kilkenny have always done more than one bean.

Coffee Works in Lucan and Blanch usually offer a choice if you ask.

Cakeface in Kilkenny have always done more than one bean.
    yeah, they use 3FE beans there - or did the last time I was in it.

few places in Smithfield/Stoneybatter/Phibsboro kind of area also do a choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Tried the Voyager in Insomnia and wasnt mad on it at all. It was in a milky drink, though.

JJ Darboven in Dun Laoghaire have a choice of 3-4 beans as well, they did the last time I was there.

yeah I could see that getting lost in milk alright

Advertisement