Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting different buildings to one internet connection

Options
  • 17-08-2020 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

One Vodafone modem internet connection.

Two separate buildings each requiring internet connection wirelessly 100 meters apart.(maximum distance between two pc's)

Can I purchase two routers and connect them together with a ethernet cable?

In one building.... One router near the modem connected wirelessly.

The other router in the other building connected via ethernet cable and supplying all phones/pcs wirelessly.

I do not want them plugged into the modem with a cable in case of power surges.

Can this be done and what routers do I purchase.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

One Vodafone modem internet connection.

Two separate buildings each requiring internet connection wirelessly 100 meters apart.

Can I purchase two routers and connect them together with a ethernet cable?

In one building.... One router near the modem connected wirelessly.

The other router in the other building connected via ethernet cable and supplying all phones/pcs wirelessly.

I do not want them plugged into the modem with a cable in case of power surges.

Can this be done and what routers do I purchase.

100m is the absolute limit of CAT 5/6 cables before the signal degrades, and you need to get involved with signal boosting etc.

https://www.showmecables.com/blog/post/discussing-cat5-length-limits#:~:text=The%20maximum%20length%20you%20can,%2C%20in%2Dbetween%20the%20signals.

If your run was <100m you could just run a Cat 6 cable from your modem/router to a switch in the other building and run everything in the other building off of said 8 port Switch (or however many ports you needed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Inquitus wrote: »
    100m is the absolute limit of CAT 5/6 cables before the signal degrades, and you need to get involved with signal boosting etc.

https://www.showmecables.com/blog/post/discussing-cat5-length-limits#:~:text=The%20maximum%20length%20you%20can,%2C%20in%2Dbetween%20the%20signals.

If your run was <100m you could just run a Cat 6 cable from your modem/router to a switch in the other building and run everything in the other building off of said 8 port Switch (or however many ports you needed)

The actual distance from one router to the other will be 70 meters and I have cat 6 cables ready for this.

But I need to know if my set up works as described as I do not want routers connected via cable to the Vodafone modem.

If my set up will work I need recommendations for routers to use.

When you say switch. What is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭3d4life

Some background please.

Is this a domestic setup or a business with tens / hundreds of devices hanging off the internet connection ?

In house. ........ Need wireless for 2xpc's...1xtablet and 3x phones.

In shed to be office is phone connection with modem........1xpc......2xphones when there and need a router for wireless connection.

Also thought by linking together the pc's in shed and house would be linked so access 100% whichever building I am working in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

In house. ........ Need wireless for 2xpc's...1xtablet and 3x phones.

In shed to be office is phone connection with modem........1xpc......2xphones when there and need a router for wireless connection.

Also thought by linking together the pc's in shed and house would be linked so access 100% whichever building I am working in.

A switch takes 1 incoming LAN cable and splits it into 4,8,10 or more as required. Sounds like you need to run the LAN from your existing router to the other building where you locate a switch, and into the switch you plug a wifi repeater for all the wireless devices you wish to connect.

Picture is for example only, you can buy Netgear ones in PC World handy enough.

IES101002SFP.B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I do not want routers connected via cable to the Vodafone modem.

Elaborate on that a little? Is this in case you get a surge on the cat 5 or something? What sort of surge?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are the two buildings on their own mains supplies? If so forget the CAT6 or any copper medium and go fully wireless.

kenmm wrote: »
    Elaborate on that a little? Is this in case you get a surge on the cat 5 or something? What sort of surge?

In the west we always get lightening strikes and cables down in winter.

ED E wrote: »
    Are the two buildings on their own mains supplies? If so forget the CAT6 or any copper medium and go fully wireless.

No all connected from the one meter house supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

In the west we always get lightening strikes and cables down in winter.

So yeah, what you said except with two switches (if you don't want to put the operators modem at risk of lightning). But cable to the first switch as well do get the more reliable connection (over wireless).

https://m.cclonline.com/category/519/Networking/Switches/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I just found this with a range of upto 200meters.

If I banged this on a wall near the modem and all buildings are within 70 meters then that should do the whole lot? Yes?

Advertisement