Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a caller tell if I'm roaming abroad?

Options
  • 17-08-2020 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

If someone phones me or contacts me via messaging apps on my Irish phone (roaming), are there any giveaways that I'm not in Ireland?
    eg. different dial tones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

stainluss wrote: »
    If someone phones me or contacts me via messaging apps on my Irish phone (roaming), are there any giveaways that I'm not in Ireland?
    eg. different dial tones

Only if they call you the old fashioned way. If its via WhatsApp or similar then they won't know the difference. If you are planning on going off on holiday and returning and not self isolating then please don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

DopeTech wrote: »
    Only if they call you the old fashioned way.

What changes out of interest, the dial tone?
    DopeTech wrote: »
    If you are planning on going off on holiday and returning and not self isolating then please don't.

No I am already abroad in a green-listed country. Have vulnerable relatives so am mad careful whether I'd be coming from abroad or not :)

Yep the ringing tone on their end will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thebiglad

What changes out of interest, the dial tone?

Yes, the dial tone they'll hear if calling a mobile when its in another country is different, longer ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Will the social be calling ya?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Ye first ring. Long American style one.

Not sure what happens if it's left off and the last country was Ire. Means needing WiFi for WA and remote checking messages.

I don't even want to know why you want to know this, but my imagination is coming up with all sorts!!

Don't elaborate tho, it's probably more amusing this way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

eg. different dial tones

If you are using WiFi Calling when abroad (only available from Eir Mobile), your phone will have Irish ring-tone as if you were at home.

If someone wants to know if you are roaming abroad, they don't need to call you - they can do a HLR lookup online. There are some free sites for this.

https://www.free-hlr.com/

Banks & Government agencies almost certainly use agencies to do bulk HLR lookups on their clients to check if they are still in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yep the ringing tone on their end will be different.

Also (with Vodafone) certain network messages (phone out of coverage, default voicemail etc) will reflect the region, so spanish in Spain etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Have a feeling this should be posted in the State Benefits forum.

Advertisement