Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is printer ink significantly more expensive than a printer?

Options
  • 17-08-2020 9:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

It's well known that a printer is almost a "false economy" in the sense that the main component, ink, is way more expensive in the long run than the printer. Why is this?

Not the same with a car and fuel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Because they can .......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The printer is often sold below cost as a hook to get you as a customer.
    Once you have the printer, you then need to keep purchasing the ink, and that's where the manufacturer makes its profits.
    Its like Ryanair selling cheap seats, they make their profit from carrying your bags etc.

A cheap printer is often a false economy. Spending more on say a laser printer will work out better in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

It's well known that a printer is almost a "false economy" in the sense that the main component, ink, is way more expensive in the long run than the printer. Why is this?

The idea is that they then want you to buy brand compatible cartridges made by.... guess who?

The car achieves this more so with spare parts than the fuel, since the manufacturer doesn't sell brand specific fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I'm sure you have seen this or similar...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHX6tHdQGiQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Startling revelation. There are plenty of printer offerings where you pay the full economic cost of the printer up front and get large quantities of ink included, they're much more expensive. It's your choice, cheap out on the printer, pay for expensive ink.

In other news, network subsidised phones are cheaper but the monthly plans are much more expensive than SIM only plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Loss leader marketing strategy.

Most famously used with razor blade handles and the replacement blades.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Startling revelation. There are plenty of printer offerings where you pay the full economic cost of the printer up front and get large quantities of ink included, they're much more expensive. It's your choice, cheap out on the printer, pay for expensive ink.

In other news, network subsidised phones are cheaper but the monthly plans are much more expensive than SIM only plans.

They work out cheaper in the long run when you break down the charge, into the services being offered. I spent 200 less on an S9+ by going bill pay, than I would have, if I bought a Sim Free handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

As said, manufacturers loss-lead with the printer and flah you for the ink cartridges. I run an 80 Euro Canon and it works out fine for me because I rarely need to print anything, but when I do it's bloody handy to have it on the network. Anyone needing to print in any quantity would be better off parting with more shillings for a half-decent laser printer, they're rather affordable these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They work out cheaper in the long run when you break down the charge, into the services being offered. I spent 200 less on an S9+ by going bill pay, than I would have, if I bought a Sim Free handset.

All comes down to the difference in monthly rate on contract vs equivalent sim only and how long you're tied into the contract. Can't see the contract being less than 12 months and there are sim only plans with all calls and data available for between €10 and €15 so if you're paying less than ~€30 per month on a 12 month contract, you may indeed be coming out on top in the deal.

Most people who buy cheap printers tend to print very little. They might buy one additional set of cartridges max after the ones in the box run out and that's it, the hardware loss will never be recovered by the manufacturer. These people are coming out in top in the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Because there are suckers who will buy them.

What I used to do is get a laser and buy my own refill powder on Ebay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement