Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small lan

Options
  • 17-08-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I want to set up a simple LAN, at least I think that what it is called. This is the requirement, to allow 2 pc's to share, edit and work on word documents and maybe also share other programs like excel etc. There is no need to be working on the same docs simultaneously but one persons update of a document is there when the other person opens that document thereafter. What would be the best way to achieve this. If i had 2 PC's would I then need a third to act as a server or is there an easier less costly way to achieve this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Easiest way is set up a home/workgroup and setup a shared folder on a network drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

LAN, as name imply, is you home/office(local) network. Sharing documents require them to be stored in accessible location. You can share folder on your PC to be available to other computers on LAN, but this require your PC to be ON for others to be able to access it. Network drive, as mentioned above, is good option.
    Other option would be cloud solution - OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive. Benefit of this, you don't have to be connected to LAN to be able to access it, just internet.

Oh, and you cannot share "programs like Excel etc" , just documents/files created in various programs like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Notepad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sounds like a OneDrive or Sharepoint is what you need.

Here you can actually see the other user make changes in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Sounds like a OneDrive or Sharepoint is what you need.

Here you can actually see the other user make changes in real time.

OneDrive and office 365

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Make sure the two computers have lan ports and buy crossover cable. That's what i did back in the day. No need for a router or a switch.

A more practical solution... Just connect both PCs to your eir (or whatever) router. Instant lan.

You could plug a usb key into your router for a local "network" drive available even when one computer is turned off. (file transfer by ftp or media server)

Even better, use the cloud. Office 365 or Google drive. A cloud - print compatible printer.

We're not in the 90s anymore. You don't need a Lan for 2 pc's that have internet access. Unless you have a specific reason for lan I'd say use modern technology. Wifi, cloud, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

antix80 wrote: »
    Make sure the two computers have lan ports and buy crossover cable. That's what i did back in the day. No need for a router or a switch.

A more practical solution... Just connect both PCs to your eir (or whatever) router. Instant lan.

You could plug a usb key into your router for a local "network" drive available even when one computer is turned off. (file transfer by ftp or media server)

Even better, use the cloud. Office 365 or Google drive. A cloud - print compatible printer.

We're not in the 90s anymore. You don't need a Lan for 2 pc's that have internet access. Unless you have a specific reason for lan I'd say use modern technology. Wifi, cloud, etc.

Exactly “back in the day” he just needs office 365 now in the present day

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Exactly “back in the day” he just needs office 365 now in the present day

Fine if he already has it. Not a requirement for what he wants to do.

Most routers these days have a USB port for use by an external HDD which can be used to share files as the OP requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Crossover cables are redundant now all LAN cables can do crossover using modern auto-detection , unless one of those PC's is truly ancient!

Advertisement