Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance with American wife

• 17-08-2020 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm Irish and have my car insured with 123.ie (MX5, no claims bonus 9 years, never claimed). Wife is american, got her provisional licence there in March and is doing her lessons.

We need a new car (an automatic) that we'd keep in addition to the Mazda, looking at a Land Rover. Looking for thoughts on the best way to transfer my no claims to the new car and adding my wife as a named driver. Can this be done? Do I go and reinsure my other car as if I was just off the boat?

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can't use your no-claims on two cars so in your case, the consensus advice is for her to take out a new policy on the less risky car - that's the one that will be cheaper to insure with everything else equal which will probably be the Land Rover. You then add each of you as a named driver on the other policy.

Though we might get advice from someone in the business because while the MX5 is a sports car and will definitely be loaded as such, a Land Rover is capable of inflicting serious material damage in the event of a collision so it's possible that it carries a heavier loading. She can always just go and ask for quotes for both. I suspect she might get a few refusals (to quote) for the MX5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Tow

She may also find insurance on a manual in cheaper than an automatic.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Tow wrote: »
    She may also find insurance on a manual in cheaper than an automatic.

How do you figure that: I have manuals & autos, and there's no difference.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Statistically Statically automatic drivers are more lightly to have an accident. This is probably due to their age profile, more then the use of a gear stick and clutch keeping them alert.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Surely if they're static they can't have an accident?

• Advertisement

Statistically Statically automatic drivers are more lightly to have an accident. This is probably due to their age profile, more then the use of a gear stick and clutch keeping them alert.

Can you point us to the source of those statistics?

The contrary argument says that not having gear changes and the clutch to worry about means that drivers have more time to concentrate on the road ahead and will have less accidents. And that would apply in spades to inexperienced drivers and people who are less comfortable operating any kind of mechanical equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Hogwash, to term an American phrase.

Automatic drivers tend to be richer.

I'm going to need a FactCheck on that I'm afraid.

From my experience, automatic cars are driven more slowly and more inclined to stick to speed limits. Not by any means of magic or OAP syndrome, but more because you aren't 'chasing Top' like you do in a manual. You set your speed, the car accomodates. In a manual you get to Top and then discover it's ticking over at 120kph, everywhere..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/manual-vs-automatic/
    But if you’re only licensed to drive an automatic car, your premiums will go up significantly, because insurers tend to believe that motorists who only know how to drive an automatic car are less skilled drivers – and therefore pose a higher risk. Therefore, the average cost of insurance for automatic cars is higher – but you might not be affected.

Statistically automatic drivers are more lightly to have an accident.

There is a world of difference between actual statistics and what insurers 'tend to believe'.....
    ..... insurers tend to believe that motorists who only know how to drive an automatic car are less skilled drivers – and therefore pose a higher risk.

• Advertisement

I'll bite then and riddle me this: given all Hybrids are automatic, and if the GP get their way, everyone will be in EV - so what then ? We're all going to become worse drivers ?

Ah, but no.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    I'll bite then and riddle me this: given all Hybrids are automatic, and if the GP get their way, everyone will be in EV - so what then ?

Then the risk is the same across all drivers and their is no additional loading. This is how insurance companies work. They have teams of actuaries whose job is to look at the all the available statistics and churn the numbers.

Then the risk is the same across all drivers and their is no additional loading. This is how insurance companies work. They have teams of actuaries whose job is to look at the all the available statistics and churn the numbers.

You've been at the Kool Aid too much methinks............that may be how it works elsewhere, but it's certainly not how it works here.

Insuring anything over 10 years is a case in point.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

galwaytt wrote: »
    You've been at the Kool Aid too much methinks............that may be how it works elsewhere, but it's certainly not how it works here.

Insuring anything over 10 years is a case in point.

So you think Zurich, AXA, Aviva, Allianz, AIG etc use actuaries in every territory they trade in, other than Ireland?

The decision insurers took on vehicles over 10 year old, would have been based on actuarial advice too, allowing for our unique local conditions

So you think Zurich, AXA, Aviva, Allianz, AIG etc use actuaries in every territory they trade in, other than Ireland?

The decision insurers took on vehicles over 10 year old, would have been based on actuarial advice too, allowing for our unique local conditions

Oh they do have actuaries. But they're data crunchers, not decision or policy makers.

"allowing for our unique local conditions" - aka, Irish car insurers charge what the market will bear, it's margin optimisation, nothing more. No reflection of risk.

I don't, and wonder do you, actually believe that car age 9 and car age 10 are a different risk ? Of course they're not.

I've had an 01 car insured and been refused cover to change to an 06 because the 06 is too old. It's 5 years newer than what they currently cover. I drive the same distance, places, in the same manner irrespective of what number plate is on it.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The cars over 10 years debate has been done to death dozens of times here. I'm not revisiting it again

Advertisement