Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplier with sole distribution of products refusal to supply

Options
  • 17-08-2020 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    I have a shop and previously dealt with a supplier who stopped supplying to us as one of their employees was also in our business (which was known by the manager when the account was opened).

I deal with numerous other suppliers but this supplier has sole distribution of certain brands in Ireland. Can they legally refuse to supply us?

By refusing to supply to us, it offers our competition a distinct advantage. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Once they have a legitimate reason and you aren't being discriminated against then there's really nothing you can do. Sounds like they are just trying avoid a conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ambilight

Thanks Jimii,
    I do get that but the person who is their employee is no longer with us so there is no longer any conflict.

Have they given you a reason for not supplying you now at all? Only thing it really seems you can do is ask them to reconsider and put forward a good case why. Is there a stockist nearby that may have a geographical exclusivity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Dont understand someone works for you and the supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This has got to be an anticompetitive practice, surely? Restricting supply is a textbook example of abuse of a dominant position. Be worth a phone call to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Yes they can unless they hold a dominant position in the market. Even then there are ways around it and you would need to prove the case.

https://www.ccpc.ie/business/help-for-business/guidelines-for-business/refusal-to-supply/

Darc19 wrote: »
    Yes they can unless they hold a dominant position in the market. Even then there are ways around it and you would need to prove the case.

https://www.ccpc.ie/business/help-for-business/guidelines-for-business/refusal-to-supply/
    They're the exclusive distributor in Ireland of the product concerned. How is that not a dominant position?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Contact their HQ in Europe and ask why you can't buy their product in Ireland

I'm sure they won't be too happy

Contact their HQ in Europe and ask why you can't buy their product in Ireland

I'm sure they won't be too happy
    We're in a Single Market. If the exclusive distributor in Ireland won't sell you whatever it is, you can buy it from another distributor anywhere in the SM. But obviously this could involve e.g. shipping costs or time delays that you'd rather avoid.

sasta le wrote: »
    Dont understand someone works for you and the supplier?
    Yes, they were in the business with me but not any longer

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    We're in a Single Market. If the exclusive distributor in Ireland won't sell you whatever it is, you can buy it from another distributor anywhere in the SM. But obviously this could involve e.g. shipping costs or time delays that you'd rather avoid.

Exactly, I'd rather avoid the shipping costs and delays. Delivery time is the main issue.

jimmii wrote: »
    Have they given you a reason for not supplying you now at all? Only thing it really seems you can do is ask them to reconsider and put forward a good case why. Is there a stockist nearby that may have a geographical exclusivity?
    I have asked numerous times. They won't give me an answer and keep putting me off. I have rang and emailed multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

ambilight wrote: »
    Yes, they were in the business with me but not any longer

Perhaps the distributor is supplying that person instead. There’s nothing you can do TBH once they refuse you. It’s a nasty tactic but sole distributors are in it for their own profit and protection. Find another distributor elsewhere, if you’re vat registered you should be able to bring stuff in with 0 vat.....

screamer wrote: »
    Perhaps the distributor is supplying that person instead. There’s nothing you can do TBH once they refuse you. It’s a nasty tactic but sole distributors are in it for their own profit and protection. Find another distributor elsewhere, if you’re vat registered you should be able to bring stuff in with 0 vat.....
    Thanks, I have tried but can't source some of the brand's. Definitely not supplying the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Make a complaint to the CCPC: https://www.ccpc.ie/business/contact/make-competition-complaint/

Another option is to open a new account with the company and feign ignorance. Don't know how small the supplier is though.

I have asked numerous times. They won't give me an answer and keep putting me off. I have rang and emailed multiple times.

How bizarre. They must be making too much money to be going on like that lol!

How did things end with the employee? Is there any chance that may have effected things at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jimmii wrote: »
    How bizarre. They must be making too much money to be going on like that lol!

Or they reckon that people will just go to other retails for it.

Or they reckon that people will just go to other retails for it.

Yeah but presumably there isn't 100% crossover with OPs customer base. I'm assuming this isn't something mass market and stockists might not be that common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Peregrinus wrote: »
    They're the exclusive distributor in Ireland of the product concerned. How is that not a dominant position?

I don't think you understand what dominant market position is.

If they sold lawnmowers and their brand had 70% of the market, that would be a dominant position. You then need to show that they are abusing that position and affecting your business detrimentally.

If lawnmowers were just 10% of your business, that would not qualify.

If they had 30% of the lawnmower market, and another competitor had 20%, then no dominant position applies.

They could use the entire grass machinery market too, so it is extremely difficult / impossible (and costly) to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Forge83

Thanks, I have tried but can't source some of the brand's. Definitely not supplying the other person.

Can you not get another retailer you know in the industry to purchase it for you. I do this all the time with brands I don’t deal directly with.
    Alternatively, call to the supplier in person to speak to the boss. Worst he/she can do Is say no to your face.

• Advertisement
Advertisement