Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in mental health/suicide rates in the Western World

Options
  • 17-08-2020 11:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I don't have any statistics on hand but apparently, the U.S. has had the highest increase in suicides since WWII. This trend also seems commong among many Western nations.

Does it have to do simply with rising population? If there's always a certain amount of people in society who will die by suicide, then population growth will simply mean that number will increase (thus nothing to do with society getting worse).

Or is the stress of late-stage capitalism finally causing stress among people?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If this is true it has nothing to do with population growth because the most developed countries have the least population growth. I have absolutely no idea why it ever happens though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

If you're going to constantly troll with these types of threads; the least you could do is actually present even a single source to backup your claims. It's always "I heard", "I read somewhere", "Someone told me".

The USA is a basket case of a country in many respects; including suicide rates. The 'worst' state has a rate more than 3 times higher than the 'best' state. The suicide rate per 100,000 is trending upwards in the USA but only to levels not much higher than those seen in the 80s:
    Crude_U.S._suicide_rate_1981_2016.png

The suicide rate per 100,000 is actually trending downwards in Ireland:
    Suicide-rates-in-Ireland-by-gender-2004-2018-3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Admin: You're posting in any forum still open to you simply to circumvent forum bans. Don't do this again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement