Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did Ethiopian Airlines stop flying here?

Options
  • 18-08-2020 1:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Last time I went to LAX in 2017, the cheapest option was Ethiopian. It was about €400 from ADD - DUB - LAX. Now. They've removed it and it's more expensive.

Can someone explain why?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Last time I went to LAX in 2017, the cheapest option was Ethiopian. It was about €400 from ADD - DUB - LAX. Now. They've removed it and it's more expensive.

Can someone explain why?

Things are bad when the Ethiopians won't even come here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I suspect it’s due to lack of demand. Is that too obvious haha. Plus Aer lingus now fly direct to Los Angeles. On a side note if you want to fly there in October, return flights are going for about 270 euro(not that it would be a good time to be in America)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

With the assistance of Google I discovered that Ethiopian discontinued its service to Los Angeles:

Mod Note: Link behind paywall if adblocked

https://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2019/01/30/ethiopian-airlines-to-end-service-at-lax-adds.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Can someone explain why?
    3 years is a long time in aviation.

Ethiopian were using Dublin as a fuel stop and picking up some passenger (they also had a fuel only stop for 2 other routes) About 18 months ago they changed their fuel stop to a West African location, thus cutting out the DUB-LAX route.

Global air travel has seen a 90% drop in the last 5 months. Many airlines have cut routes and reduced frequency. Chances are any offers/options you had in 2017 will be quite different today or in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Ethiopian still transit Dublin westbound only on services to Washington, Chicago and Toronto. These are tech-stops only, for fuel and crew change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Ethiopian still transit Dublin westbound only on services to Washington, Chicago and Toronto. These are tech-stops only, for fuel and crew change.

Didn’t recall that there were 3. I could only remember Washington and 1 other.

Advertisement