Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inheritance issue

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭joeguevara

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    it goes to who ever your grandmother leaves it to in the will if no will it goes to her living children
    then it would go to brothers and sisters your probably at end list

https://www.propertyguides.com/ireland/news/irish-inheritance-laws/

Nope. As per the link you shared, if no will it is divided amongst grandmother’s siblings. If any dead (I.e dad) his share would go to his sibling (op).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

joeguevara wrote: »
    Nope. As per the link you shared, if no will it is divided amongst grandmother’s siblings. If any dead (I.e dad) his share would go to his sibling (op).

Are you referring to this part of your link?

• If you are single and you have children, your estate will be divided up equally amongst them. If one of your children has passed away, their share of your assets will automatically go to any children that they may have had.

Siblings means brothers and sisters, so I don’t think that fits with what you’re saying happens in the event of no will being made.

Also, the OP doesn’t seem to know if a will has been made. If one has, the ‘family home’ may be left to 1 surviving child of the grandmother, all of her surviving children, or the cats and dogs home. None of which is any of the OP’s business. It’s up to the grandmother to will her assets however she chooses to do so.

qwerty13 wrote: »
    Siblings means brothers and sisters, so I don’t think that fits with what you’re saying happens in the event of no will being made.

Apologies I meant children.
    No. As in bullet point 4 of link

• If you are single and you have children, your estate will be divided up equally amongst them. If one of your children has passed away, their share of your assets will automatically go to any children that they may have had.

Apologies I meant children.
    No. As in bullet point 4 of link

I edited my post while you were replying, to put in the details that I thought you were referring to. I just thought it important to clarify, as the OP’s question seems to hinge on children versus surviving children and their offspring

qwerty13 wrote: »
    Are you referring to this part of your link?

Also, the OP doesn’t seem to know if a will has been made. If one has, the ‘family home’ may be left to 1 surviving child of the grandmother, all of her surviving children, or the cats and dogs home. None of which is any of the OP’s business. It’s up to the grandmother to will her assets however she chooses to do so.

The OP suggests that grandmother is going to prepare a will and will it to her 12 children leaving the OP out. That trumps everything. I then said what would happen if she died intestate as someone had suggested that they would get the lowest share when in fact they would get equal to the grandmothers kids.

But in a previous post, I questioned the real outcome of this as even if managed to convince grandmother to include a 13th share in the will, it was stated that unlikely house will ever be sold as bequeathed to grandmothers children’s children. So they could have all the hassle for 1/13th of nothing, they wouldn’t be able to vote anything etc etc etc.

• Advertisement

The OP suggests that grandmother is going to prepare a will and will it to her 12 children leaving the OP out. That trumps everything. I then said what would happen if she died intestate as someone had suggested that they would get the lowest share when in fact they would get equal to the grandmothers kids.

But in a previous post, I questioned the real outcome of this as even if managed to convince grandmother to include a 13th share in the will, it was stated that unlikely house will ever be sold as bequeathed to grandmothers children’s children. So they could have all the hassle for 1/13th of nothing, they wouldn’t be able to vote anything etc etc etc.

Totally agree! I said earlier too that a 1/13 share would not only be incredibly difficult to agree on who gets to use the house - but also who decides on what to do about maintenance of the house, and associated bills. It’s a nightmare waiting to happen.

If all the OP wants is to maintain a link / a chance of using his grandmother’s home, then I think he’s best off staying out of any discussions or negotiations about ownership. And if there is actually a will, then he has no business getting into such discussions, as it’s his grandmother’s home, to do with as she wishes.

Plus the grandmother might need the house value to fund nursing home care, or the fair deal scheme. I think the OP is getting very very ahead of themselves in wanting a say in what happens his grandmother’s home.

Advertisement