Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Might be updated later. Still a lot of uncertainty.

Yeah, just got notification that they are closing the prom in Tramore from 4pm today until further notice. Will be a wild one regardless with high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Irish Ace

How is the east looking throughout this? Looks like Meath and North Dublin might get hit on the edge of them gusts of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I would warn people about possible coastal flooding in northern Dublin Bay and also Salthill during the night. Don't be parking cars along the seafront in either place as onshore winds will coincide with peak tides at both locations. A strong southeasterly can cause seiche flows in Dublin Bay, and we all know about what happens in Salthill.

12Z analysis, showing Ellen 990 hPa northwest of the Galicia coast.

523493.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can we open a book on what time and windspeed we'll have at the salthill diving board and people in for a dip?

Edit. And of course the cars flooded in the car park :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

12Z analysis, showing Ellen 990 hPa northwest of the Galicia

GL what are met Éireann seeing in the models that makes it red for Cork? Are they just ignoring the GFS/ICON?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Would bet on Waterford upgrading to red, maybe NW taken off Orange, possibly Wexford red. Moving more easterly across most charts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

cork actually looks very tame on both ICON and GFS now. not sure where this red is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Yeah, just got notification that they are closing the prom in Tramore from 4pm today until further notice. Will be a wild one regardless with high tide.

Hope there are no tents camped on the back strand like last week, they won't last long!! :eek:

12Z analysis, showing Ellen 990 hPa northwest of the Galicia

GL what are met Éireann seeing in the models that makes it red for Cork? Are they just ignoring the GFS/ICON?

This. Up to Force 12 just off the coast, according to their latest Harmonie run. They don't use the GFS.

523494.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Not sure what model M.E is using now , looks to be ECM? Most models now show the east as orange

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

RubyK wrote: »
    Hope there are no tents camped on the back strand like last week, they won't last long!! :eek:

I've a feeling the circus vegas tent will be in my back garden in the morning, it has no sides on it so hopefully they put them on tonight :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I've a feeling the circus vegas tent will be in my back garden in the morning, it has no sides on it so hopefully they put them on tonight :D:D

I forgot about the Circus being there too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm kinda seeing it as not a massive issue on the Clare coast as its moving further east, seems to be a lot of uncertainty all the same. Still due to lack of flights in the air to collect weather data?

With all that said, I do live near the coast and there has been a huge exodus of campervans from the village today. Glad it's being taken relatively seriously, not cool having your campervan turned over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Probability maps for 1am tonight from the latest European.

Gusts greater than 48 knots:

vXG9T2z.png

And for gusts > 64 knots:

itEtO1I.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Is Dublin likely to go Orange? We have a socailly distanced group sunset walk planned in the local park at 9pm. Lots of trees and big branches there. Im thinking of canceling but so many mixed messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Well down at my house on the west cork coast now, will keep you all updated later on tonight I suppose haha. Expectations have dropped but since the coast is exposed might be a interesting night too! Very calm here atm though and very humid, not misting like the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Will tipperary be bad tonight, I have to travel from north to South tipp, I remember travelling during one of the storms last year and trees were falling on the road it was a nightmare, don't really want a repeat of that

This. Up to Force 12 just off the coast, according to their latest Harmonie run. They don't use the GFS.

Thanks for that. Seems areas around cork city and east cork at the biggest risk based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is Dublin likely to go Orange? We have a socailly distanced group sunset walk planned in the local park at 9pm. Lots of trees and big branches there. Im thinking of canceling but so many mixed messages.

Sunset walk in this weather...... Yeah. Erm..

• Advertisement

Well down at my house on the west cork coast now, will keep you all updated later on tonight I suppose haha. Expectations have dropped but since the coast is exposed might be a interesting night too! Very calm here atm though and very humid, not misting like the city.

Will be wild enough still with gusts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wild night of heavy rain and threat of thunderstorms in the SW tonight / early morning. Widespread threat of thunderstorms tomorrow with heavy squally showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

I understand this storm originated with the weakening tail of a hurricane crossing the Atlantic. Then the depression unexpectedly deepened mid Atlantic, influenced by the Jet stream. In lay mans terms what are the forces at play here?

UKMO analysed Ellen as 987 hPa and about 650 km south of the Cork coast. It'll be fairly motoring to cover that distance in the next 12 hours...

ukmo_nat_fax_2020081912_000.png

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Sawduck wrote: »
    Will tipperary be bad tonight, I have to travel from north to South tipp, I remember travelling during one of the storms last year and trees were falling on the road it was a nightmare, don't really want a repeat of that

I don't know what time you are travelling at but on Met Eireann's current run tipp looks like it's getting a hit of this between 9pm and 1am, with it being strongest from about 10pm to 12:00

mrtom wrote: »
    I understand this storm originated with the weakening tail of a hurricane crossing the Atlantic. Then the depression unexpectedly deepened mid Atlantic, influenced by the Jet stream. In lay mans terms what are the forces at play here?

A strong arctic outbreak from northeastern Canada/Greenland coincided with a frontal zone lying across the central Atlantic, into which the remnant moisture of Kyle (which only ever became a 45-knot tropical storm, not a hurricane) got entrained. The strong temperature and moisture gradient along this front strengthened the jetstream, and with ex-Kyles moisture just in the right place under this jetstream it's causing massive upward motion and falling pressure at the surface.

This time yesterday Kyle's remnan was that flabby 1006-hPa low/wave west of the Azores, at the bottom of the chart.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020081812_000.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I take it your not in Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I don't know how reputable the Euro4 model is, but it also has the core of strongest winds roaring up the Irish Sea, a shift east from last night. Cork certainly warranted a red warning based on the previous run of this model.
    I was suprised at lunchtime when Met Éireann made no changes to the warnings.

listermint wrote: »
    Sunset walk in this weather...... Yeah. Erm..

More chance of seeing snow.

• Advertisement

UKMO have the low 975 hPa and just north of Malin Head at 06Z tomorrow. That developing cold front straddling the Kerry coast could pepp things up a little down there during the morning.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020081906_024.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement