Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Anyone else in Cork city wondering when to put their bin out for collection in the morning?!

If you want your rubbish scattered to the four winds, by all means put it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Picking up here in Limerick City.

My sunflowers are dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From all your reports it would appear that the landfall occurred near Kinsale around 2200h and the centre has moved across Cork, earlier reports of very light winds indicating you were in the eye of the tropical-storm-like "Ellen" which apparently wants to be more of a Kyle.

This eye feature may be noticed further north inland but usually they shrink to such a small size that a period of moderate winds marks the passage.

Will now be quite rough for several hours as you are all saying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Anyone else in Cork city wondering when to put their bin out for collection in the morning?!

Well ive just seen my neighbours one moved across the carpark so i'd say in the morning!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

rafales_uk_xka7.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Can't believe how out of nowhere it was. Was completely calm here in Rochestown and within 2 minutes the power was gone and the gusts started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Can hear the slates lifting and falling on the roof, not a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Starting up in Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭CZ 453

I'm shocked by how sudden the change was. This is quite unsettling. Wind is mental now. Cork City South. Power still on.

Starting to get a bit gusty west of Athlone now, I am in a sheltered hollow surrounded by trees but am already seeing gusts exceed 30Kmh and pressure of 977 and dropping.
    Not much rain yet, only 2.8mm for the day 2mm about an hour ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A few gusts in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Awaaf wrote: »
    Very heavy loud rain in Dun Laoghaire for last while.

Getting noticeably stronger here in Terenure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Picking up up further in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Covid19

For once, it does not seem so bad here in the West, however I can imagine what's on the way, given some of the comments so far. Trees will definitely fall, that is for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Great climate???? In the driving wind and rain???

Yeah... depressing dank and drap climate..... Bad for one's health....

I am off to Italy on Sunday.. Yippee.... For two weeks of sun and Pizza...

Away from the Swamp!!
    Its easy please you ..sun and pizza,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So where have all the non - event posters just dissapeared to?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can't believe how out of nowhere it was. Was completely calm here in Rochestown and within 2 minutes the power was gone and the gusts started.

Same here, you know it bad when you have to close the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Winds picking up a bit Kk laois border trees swaying around and wind nice and high. Now if the storm streaks this way, I’d say it’ll be bad, it’s nowhere near yet and the wind is powerful already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yep getting walloped here now near Blarney. We are quite sheltered in a bit of a Glen but it's very wild out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Mostly calm again with the odd gust.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

I suspect Ireland is the windiest place on the planet at the moment! (with exception of oceans . seas....)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Preparing for sunrise walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Can hear the slates lifting and falling on the roof, not a good sign

That's a bit ominous, stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I strongly suspect I won't have a shed in the morning, so if anyone around the Carrigaline area see's it, do let me know yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Aviation forum? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

whole house is creaking and shaking east cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

If you want your rubbish scattered to the four winds, by all means put it out.

The one week it’s full to the brim! Think I’ll be getting up at 6am to put it out..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Picked up here in Wilton but doesn’t sound as severe as in other parts of the city. Being north facing is likely a help for us too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Skibbereen is under water.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement