Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy rain earlier here in Tralee, more moderate now, the AWS is blocked I reckon , must take a look at the manual gauge soon :)

974.1 hPa Falling Rapidly

Netweather

NZpPsrw.png

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

Wind rising a bit here, wasn’t a sound 15 minutes ago but can definitely hear something now even though bedroom window is closed.
    East Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The ESB are going to be busy tonight. Massive amount of outages across Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Very strong gusts in Thurles now... Seriously worried about the trees near the house..time for bed though.
    Stay safe everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just heard a really strong gust of wind above the noisy TV programme I was watching. I was outside around 10.15 with the dog, and it was just a normal breezy eve.
    Don't mind wind or storms.....just concerned about large trees right beside my house! ( Sth Galway)
    Enjoying the "mostly" informative posts and updates....always my go to forum when a storm is a brewing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Yeah heavy enough rain now too.

Wind and rain after really picking up last 15 min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Trees in full leaf and the soil/ground is relatively damp. Plenty will topple tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

dexter647 wrote: »
    Christ this already sounds a lot worse than a yellow warning here in south Laois...Surely a few more counties should be orange..:eek:

Wind always sounds louder at night. No station on land is reporting sustained yellow level winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Where the UK Met have the center of the low at 1am tonight:

cvvqzVu.png

Strongest of the winds should only last a couple of hours as the low pushes rapidly north.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I strongly suspect I won't have a shed in the morning, so if anyone around the Carrigaline area see's it, do let me know yeah.
    I spent much of Ophelia watching my shed bow and deform in the face of those winds. This is very windy alright but it's still a world apart from those sustained intense winds (so far). Gusts seem to have dropped a little in peak intensity now compared to the previous 45 mins. I've not been tempted to start shedwatch yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

irishfeen wrote: »
    Wind and rain after really picking up last 15 min.

Don’t know how the power is lasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Been calm in limerick city until now. Not a drop of rain yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Spoke too soon. Heavy rain and strong gusts kanturk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Don’t know how the power is lasting.

Just made sure candles etc all ready

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Some reports here of lightning but none of apps I use to track lightning are showing anything. Anybody know why that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Holy moly. North Cork, near Mallow, just gone MENTAL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Looks to be a very dangerous event. Stay safe folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 willier

Power gone here in Borrisoleigh, Co. Tipp.
    Gusts are really starting to pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Limerick /Cork border...nothing unusual happening here.Dry and a bit of a breeze but harmless.So far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yup just now - heavy rain and wind just started up near Mallow

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Goldstein wrote: »
    I spent much of Ophelia watching my shed bow and deform in the face of those winds. This is very windy alright but it's still a world apart from those sustained intense winds (so far). Gusts seem to have dropped a little in peak intensity now compared to the previous 45 mins. I've not been tempted to start shedwatch yet.

I’d agree that this is not at Ophelia level but some of the gusts are still quite extreme. Can cause damage nonetheless, as evidenced by the number of houses without power now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

(Roches Point) PsMETAR ROCH 192200Z AUTO 21046G77KT //// // FEW006/// SCT009/// BKN023/// 14/// 0976 MSL=

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Winds still coming from the east here in Firhouse Dublin 24, so the really strong ones from the SW not yet arrived...... raining a bit but still quite warm......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

Very heavy rain now and the wind is picking up again. North Cork near Newmarket

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Picking up in d13 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

143km/h gust recorded at Roches Point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Picking up in D3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The rain is battering down in rochestown now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm

Roaches point gusting 77 knots