Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

jackrussel wrote: »
    If you say it again, someone might bother listening to yer “opinion”

They're right though tbf. A spot of wind. Jaysus there were some sites going on as if we were getting Hurricane Katrina or similar. Had more worrying farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Electricity gone near Glanmire. It got very wild out of no where but it seems to have calmed down. I'm guessing the worst is over for in and around Cork city?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

lHad more worrying carts.

Because of the wobbly wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Blitzortung registering strikes near charleville roughly in the red blob of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Wind has started to ease here in North Cork but the rain is savage, it it continues all night there will be lots of impassable roads with flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Picked up here again near Kinsale. Third wave I guess. Not as bad as the second wave though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

They're right though tbf. A spot of wind. Jaysus there were some sites going on as if we were getting Hurricane Katrina or similar. Had more worrying farts.

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭grebtol2

A spot of wind. What are you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Barely a puff of wind or drop of rain here in Ennis. Mad how it can be so variable

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Flight update from earlier on in Cork.

A lot of vomiting and screaming on the plane that landed. Source:Twitter

I didn't fly a lot in my earlier days but even so I managed to get on one flight that aborted a landing at 250' (at Edmonton) and "went around" due to severe storms and another one that landed anyway in a rather strong windshift (at London ON). That was a relatively small plane so it was quite dramatic. However neither of those were as scary as any given float-plane flight take off or landing in normal weather.

Sounds like they timed the Cork landing to hit the eye of the storm.

• Advertisement

523563.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

anacc wrote: »
    Picked up here again near Kinsale. Third wave I guess. Not as bad as the second wave though.

Same here near Riverstick.. stormy - but not like earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

grebtol2 wrote: »

The wind up, they are on the wind up.

Do not feed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Where are you?

Waterford City. Its blustery but that's about it. Put it this way, (ignoring the time of night) if you needed a jar of milk it wouldn't bother you strolling to the shop in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Wind is picking up again around Carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Limerick/cork border..holy jesus she has arrived.Mad gusts.Trees under big pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Gusting mad now again in Rochestown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Just a light wind here in Limerick city at the moment. But looking at the rain radar we're in for a massive downpour..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Waterford City. Its blustery but that's about it. Put it this way, (ignoring the time of night) if you needed a jar of milk it wouldn't bother you strolling to the shop in it.

Thats mad. Piles of damage in Dungarvan and surrounding area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

You’d be a long time looking for a JAR of milk though.

Tazio wrote: »
    Same here near Riverstick.. stormy - but not like earlier.

I’m only down the road from ya sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

grebtol2 wrote: »

That's all just a conspiracy, met eireann, rte and the government are in on this together. They made Storm Ellen in a lab and released her into the atmosphere to distract from covid. Duh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭circadian

I didn't fly a lot in my earlier days but even so I managed to get on one flight that aborted a landing at 250' (at Edmonton) and "went around" due to severe storms and another one that landed anyway in a rather strong windshift (at London ON). That was a relatively small plane so it was quite dramatic. However neither of those were as scary as any given float-plane flight take off or landing in normal weather.

Sounds like they timed the Cork landing to hit the eye of the storm.

Flew into Vancouver around 2012 in a huge thunderstorm. When the pilot looks pissed off you know someone messed up. I would totally agree on the Float Planes. Took one to Victoria, almost bought a ferry ticket for the return.

Not too windy in Dublin from what I can tell, but the rain has been relentless pretty much all day. Its been a long time since I've heard the rain beating off the windows like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Pherekydes wrote: »
    A tree is over 500m tall? :eek:

A Ryanair pilot reported seeing the top of it as he was holding at 8000ft, so I'd say he was just playing it down, like most Cork people.

And sure there were Waterford folk complaining earlier that Met Éireann care more about Cork than Waterford because ye didn’t get a red warning.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

3300 in Carrigaline, 2500 in Ringaskiddy, 1600 in Aghada, 2000 in Cloyne, 4400 in Youghal, 4500 in Midleton, 1100 in Carrigtwohil, 300 in Little Island, 2500 in Glanmire, 1800 in Blackpool, 400 in Bishopstown, 2500 in Douglas/Rochestown, 1500 in Macroom, 2700 near Castlelyons, 2700 in Fermoy, 1400 in Mitchelstown, 1000 in Mallow, 500 in Buttevant, 500 in Charleville. Busy night for the ESB in Cork.

But only 277 near Skibbereen, West Cork has escaped bar that. Not a single outage in Kerry either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Winds picking up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

no lightning for us here in cork city then? damn you met eireann.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement