Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

From radar and satellite, centre appears to be near Lough Derg and moving slightly west of due north, will be close to Athenry by 0200h and of interest to Oneiric3, near Tuam perhaps by 0300h and then in northeast Mayo by 0400h.

Rather cool air managed to rotate around the centre, noticed 12 C at Cork last obs.

Moorepark went off-line presumably due to power failures in the area, will be interesting to see what its gust max is reported to be eventually (if they don't lose that data). (edit they are back on line at midnight, gusts to 94 km/hr, fairly strong for that location).

Probably verified red wind warning in eastern Cork and some parts of west Waterford from reports, not sure if any other examples unless in very exposed hilly locations perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Last question, is there a reason why fastnets gusts are steadily increasing? Is there another system moving up? There was so many charts i've gotten confused

https://twitter.com/FastnetLHouse/status/1296222284873695233?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sudden increase in mean winds in Dublin 15 last few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

Its practically calm here now in thurles..lovely out and air is humid ..im having a coffee out in patio...radio one on.good music ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Trees down all over cork roads. Hope no one needs emergency services

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well that was a scary 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Denny61 wrote: »
    Its practically calm here now in thurles..lovely out and air is humid ..im having a coffee out in patio...radio one on.good music ..

You're in the eye. Give it 30 mins your coffee will be topped up for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Power down here in east cork. Winds died down a little. Plenty of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Roches Point reporting a gust of 61 knots (113 kph) on the midnight report. Cork Airport 54 knots (100 kph), with its highest coming an hour earlier (58 knots/107 kph). Sherkin Island was around similar (low-mid 50s).

Waiting on tonight's ASCAT wind charts to come in as they will give a good picture of exactly how (wrongly) the ECM performed. It did have the core of max gusts (160+ kph) occuring just east of Roches Point to west of Waterford, so with no stations in between RP and Waterford Airport (max gust there was I think 58 knots), it's hard to know if those speeds were acheived (but going on reports here it would seem not). Still plenty of time left for stations like Oak Park, Gurteen and Mullingar to get their peaks, so we'll see how the numbers come in, but there is no way in hell that these are going to see the near 140-kph gusts shown in the ECM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Big gusts hitting now and a bang. Loud whistle with the gusts too. Really ramped up a notch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Absolutely wild in Limerick city now. Strong winds and lashing rain..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Messing with my Sky Dish with quick constant sudden heavy gusts.. Here in North Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If there's one thing Met Éireann can forcast accurately with these storms, there's always a fecking trampoline gone rogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Bad enough now in sw clare alot of rain with big gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Heavy enough rain and few wild gusts here in Waterford City. Nothing out of the ordinary. Stay safe all, no point being a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Bit of wind and heavy enough rain in bantry west cork atm but nothing to write home about, certainly not red warning in this part of Cork anyway I'd say more like yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Ikozma wrote: »
    Bit of wind and heavy enough rain in bantry west cork atm but nothing to write home about, certainly not red warning in this part of Cork anyway I'd say more like yellow

Difference is mad, near enough to Long Strand here and its been pretty mental, definitely orange if not top orange at some points. And still going but died down a small bit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

These storms always remind me how much I hate house alarms. About 3 of them going off near me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

It's alot more rain then wind tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Power gone in Nenagh. Glad im inside, that sounds like a really nasty night outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Absolutely battering it now in north LK city. Wind from the south-west, rain from all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

She’s arrived in Limerick City 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DickyRock

106mph recorded on Buoy 62063. Source Xcweather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Not a sound and rain has stopped here (Terenure, south Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Intermittent gusts here in South Wicklow. Heard a big branch or a small tree go earlier but couldn't see it. Anyone know when the gusts are to peak for the east? Would really love to go to bed but want to wait until the worst has passed because I have large mature trees in the garden along the road and I want to make sure I can react to anything that may come down on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Absolutely battering it now in north LK city. Wind from the south-west, rain from all over the shop.

Yeah it's insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

In South Roscommon here,
    Strong gusts at the moment.
    The trees are making some racket too with the wind howling through them.

Rain has stopped for now, but it looks like more on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Probably on the cusp of red here in Cóbh between 10.30 and 11
    100km region
    Some lulls since but picking up again now with strong whistling gusts but not spectacular
    Enough fun for the night signing out now

Stay safe all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

south dublin as quiet as a normal summers night, absolutely bonkers that only 2 hours away is a red warning level storm lol :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement