Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Wonder how the mobile homes in Kilkee are coping. Must be rough up there given its proximity to Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

very strong gusts in Kildare.
    Making it's way to dublin, hold tight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

The rain that's falling here in Limerick city is some of the heaviest I've seen. And combine that with insane winds..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

SLP 967 mb at Shannon (00z) southeast wind indicates centre is probably just slightly west of them although may be a case of twin vortices (one over Tarbert area, one over southern Lough Derg, possibly).

As to ECM performance, these inland wind predictions almost never seem to verify at weather stations but they may verify at locations on hills where weather stations are not situated. So I tend to factor that into model predictions for inland locations, the warnings need to be understood to be worst case conditions within the geographical area for that one unlucky person in a thousand who is more exposed to the hazards.

I don't expect any inland stations to do much more than 100 km/hr but when we asked for some people in the east Cork west Waterford area to report, they began to do so and in some cases have not followed up, possibly due to power failures (if you are on a mainframe for example or your internet service dies), so in fact the worst affected locations may not report in to us in real time, we may find out tomorrow what happened in a few spots.

My guess is that some fairly substantial damage occurred in that area, we're hearing more from people on the margins who got moderately strong winds and a few who got very strong winds but managed to stay on-line.

Anyway I hope everyone emerges unscathed from this, while many parts of the country would say it was no big deal, that one area has clearly experienced a major weather event. A track somewhat further east would have put Waterford city in a stronger wind zone also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Akrasia wrote: »
    Barely a puff of wind or drop of rain here in Ennis. Mad how it can be so variable

Getting a bit windy now though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Limerick is nuts. The rain was falling so heavily I thought we had leak in house. First big storm as a homeowner.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

is itr supposed to track up the east coast/midlands and get worse through the night orrr, whats the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Horrendous in limerick city now. Wind, rain power out. End of the world ****

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Limerick is nuts.

You don't really need the rest of that text in fairness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Saw a large flash out towards Caherdavin, Limerick so I’d say power out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

East coast impacts will likely continue rather moderate, peak gusts around Dublin could reach 90-100 km/hr but some areas are protected from southwest winds which will eventually reach there as well. Rain also rather moderate, heaviest from Ellen is near track and to the west of the track (which is looking like Clare-Galway-east Mayo).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

TTLF wrote: »
    is itr supposed to track up the east coast/midlands and get worse through the night orrr, whats the situation?

The winds will be less overland but the rain wrapped around the low could give significant rain anywhere, especially over Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Limerick is nuts. The rain was falling so heavily I thought we had leak in house. First big storm as a homeowner.

Its the worst ive seen in Limerick in quite a while. Even the last couple of red warnings were mild compared to this.

earth calling cork

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Its the worst ive seen in Limerick in quite a while. Even the last couple of red warnings were mild compared to this.

I'd agree, this one is definitely scarier than others we've had. wind has dropped a little here, but rain is still very heavy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Can there be anything said for another staycation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Saw a large flash out towards Caherdavin, Limerick so I’d say power out there.
    Not yet kid.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    You're right, I'm left, shed goooone..

You're right, I'm left, all aloooone,

Some songs just make you shed tears..

I bet your shed was a 'she' too

Ah yeah, a bottle of whiskey by the fire in the storm. I'm understand you buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Pressure got to 977.7 North Offaly. Seems to be on the rise now, it's blowy but not exceptional.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    If there's one thing Met Éireann can forcast accurately with these storms, there's always a fecking trampoline gone rogue.

Yeah. I mean how hard can it be to properly secure these things? It`s not as if there weren`t adequate warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Limpy wrote: »
    Can there be anything said for another staycation.

A grand soft evenin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Still mental in Limerick, it’s like trying to go asleep in a ****in car wash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Starting to pick up in Castlebar, first moderate gusts are occurring after a very calm and wet evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

5 times taller than the Californian redwoods. Ye don't mess about in Cork! ;)

The real capital of tall trees.

me tomato plants are all over me garden

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Darth Melkor

East Clare here. 15 minutes ago it was really calm. Has picked up massively in the last 5 minutes. Can't imagine the power lasting for long.

syngindub wrote: »
    me tomato plants are all over me garden

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

The wind was so bad the rain was turned into a mist/fog

• Advertisement

pnpweirdo wrote: »
    End of the world ****

Cats and dogs living together

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement