Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Seems to have calmed down here west of cork city. Went a good bit quieter around 1215, still have power sofar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Power gone in Ardnacrusha. Wind crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Cats and dogs living together

Ive no time for cats

Yeah. I mean how hard can it be to properly secure these things? It`s not as if there weren`t adequate warnings.

The rogue trampoline is probably owned by a family who have gone to kerry with a tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Up there with Darwin I'd say. Far worse than any of last winter's storms. The rainfall this past hour was something else to behold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

On this note I'm actually going to bed now, still very strong gusts here in West cork but definitely died down but the coastal aspect is keeping the winds up I think. (EDIT: Just as I say that the gusts pick up again and are howling.. at least this is making up for missing the thunderstorms last week!)

Rain has stopped and looks to have moved northwards. Best of luck to those up the country overnight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

RIP

RIPE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭spookwoman

syngindub wrote: »
    me tomato plants are all over me garden

I'm sure you will be able to ketchup to them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

strong enough winds still here on the north side of cork city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

May go and water the flowers in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭RINO87

Sustained heavy gusts for last 10-15 mins near Blarney. Still have power strangely enough seeing as our sub station is whitechurch which is a lot more exposed than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Power gone in Ardnacrusha. Wind crazy.

Isn’t that ironic

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In the nearly two hours it has taken to catch up with posts.... it has gone from totally quiet to squally and intermittent rain battering the windows.

Nothing exceptional or sustained.

Quiet again..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 bananaskin

Seen this crazy lights, only thing I can think of is the substation nearby cratloe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I dont think any company BCP plans had accounted for a pandemic and a storm at the same. Going to be some crack in the morning with people ringing in ive no power when trying to work from home

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

On this note I'm actually going to bed now, still very strong gusts here in West cork but definitely died down but the coastal aspect is keeping the winds up I think. (EDIT: Just as I say that the gusts pick up again and are howling.. at least this is making up for missing the thunderstorms last week!)

Rain has stopped and looks to have moved northwards. Best of luck to those up the country overnight!
    Very strange thing to say...Best of luck?? Could you not say .stay safe and trouble free night!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Load of bolognese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    Isn’t that ironic

Never did is any good. Power outages galore over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

earth calling cork

Its like a disaster zone in North Cork, just got the kids back to bed after they woke up at the peak of the wind. Hit our house like a hammer for a good 45 minutes, kids were screaming and crying.

My roof has a bit of damage, water is pissing in and running down the wall. In my road I can see 4 or 5 trees down across the road and power / phone lines. Power has gone clearly, power banks and tethered phone keeping us online but Vodaphone connection keeps breaking up.

I would love to sheet my roof to stop the water but still strong gusts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

brought them indoors, feck that ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Saw a large flash out towards Caherdavin, Limerick so I’d say power out there.

Moylish is out, 1500 premises gone

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Horrific night here in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭josip

5 times taller than the Californian redwoods. Ye don't mess about in Cork! ;)

Lucky that RyanAir plane didn't hit it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

krissovo wrote: »
    Its like a disaster zone in North Cork, just got the kids back to bed after they woke up at the peak of the wind. Hit our house like a hammer for a good 45 minutes, kids were screaming and crying.

My roof has a bit of damage, water is pissing in and running down the wall. In my road I can see 4 or 5 trees down across the road and power / phone lines. Power has gone clearly, power banks and tethered phone keeping us online but Vodaphone connection keeps breaking up.

I would love to sheet my roof to stop the water but still strong gusts.

Where abouts north cork. I can imagine limerick city is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

must be scary for those in cork, hoping my Uncle and his family in Cobh are okay, any updates from anyone in Cobh? was it very bad there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'm in Caherdavin and the power is still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pad199207

A period of stronger winds likely pushing into the greater Dublin area now as the hook pushes northwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Graces7 wrote: »
    In the nearly two hours it has taken to catch up with posts.... it has gone from totally quiet to squally and intermittent rain battering the windows.

Nothing exceptional or sustained.

Quiet again..

I think you can expect a quiet night in general, winds likely to remain light northeast or variable in that area, then will pick up to moderate southwest by daybreak, nothing too strong at any point as Ellen weakens and moves past Mayo into the North Atlantic. Rain also won't be too fierce there, some squally showers could develop towards morning.

You may actually get a more impactful period of weather late Thursday or on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Fault
    Kilmacthomas, waterford
    Estimated time for power to be restored 20/08/2020 16:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Moylish is out, 1500 premises gone

Next to LIT, still got power

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement