Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

When should the worst be over in North Kerry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

krissovo wrote: »
    Its like a disaster zone in North Cork, just got the kids back to bed after they woke up at the peak of the wind. Hit our house like a hammer for a good 45 minutes, kids were screaming and crying.

My roof has a bit of damage, water is pissing in and running down the wall. In my road I can see 4 or 5 trees down across the road and power / phone lines. Power has gone clearly, power banks and tethered phone keeping us online but Vodaphone connection keeps breaking up.

I would love to sheet my roof to stop the water but still strong gusts.

Mustn’t be too bad all the same when you’ve time to post on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sumtings

Was very rainy for a good period of time in Dooradoyle, Limerick city. It's just passed to the north east and things have calmed down a bit, it was proper weather. I can see a band further down near the Limerick Cork border, I hope it misses us.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

pad199207 wrote: »
    A period of stronger winds likely pushing into the greater Dublin area now as the hook pushes northwards.

Noticeable alright here between Leixlip and Clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Seems to have blown over north LK city, still raining, mild gusts.

Is a second wave on the way :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

I think you can expect a quiet night in general, winds likely to remain light northeast or variable in that area, then will pick up to moderate southwest by daybreak, nothing too strong at any point as Ellen weakens and moves past Mayo into the North Atlantic. Rain also won't be too fierce there, some squally showers could develop towards morning.

You may actually get a more impactful period of weather late Thursday or on Friday.

Are we likely to have another stormy night like this tomorrow or Friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

looking like few outages on the ESB side of things so far

outages.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Temperature has dropped 3C in an hour as the hook nears.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

Hmmm now to drive Clonmel to Dungarvan??? The worst seems to have passed but lot of reports of trees down all over Tipp and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

We got a sting jet in the last hour and lightening near Limerick city. Share of trees down on my road. Had to take in a neighbour who was blocked from going home from shift work. Roof over my bedroom is leaking with the very heavy rain. Winds have eased since. My brothers Apple tree in his front lawn is down. There is a bit of history with it. Power is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭spookwoman

AdamB wrote: »
    Hmmm now to drive Clonmel to Dungarvan??? The worst seems to have passed but lot of reports of trees down all over Tipp and Waterford.

Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why in the name of jaysis would you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Why in the name of jaysis would you do that?

Home from work... finished at 1am from what I recall

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think you can expect a quiet night in general, winds likely to remain light northeast or variable in that area, then will pick up to moderate southwest by daybreak, nothing too strong at any point as Ellen weakens and moves past Mayo into the North Atlantic. Rain also won't be too fierce there, some squally showers could develop towards morning.

You may actually get a more impactful period of weather late Thursday or on Friday.

Thank you. Interesting as the worst weather has been bypassing us all week like this. Most unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Can you stay in your location? I would be wary of trees and live cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

Thankfully it has calmed down a bit here in limerick city. Power gone. That was the worst weather ive ever witnessed. Look out further up the country for that squall

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lil_ms_fu ky

In kinsale. Got hit hard around 10pm. Very scary wind. The windows and doors were shaking. Remained very windy and non stop rain until around 12.30. Calm at present but don’t know if that just means we are in the eye of the storm. Just looked at windy.com and it has us in the eye. Does anyone know if that’s it now or will it get windy again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Live map of roadworks fallen trees etc
    https://www.mapalerter.com/maps/desktop/public/?level=6&center=-7.652402358305685,52.34409269369311

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Rocket99

Winds starting to pick up now in North Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Can you stay in your location? I would be wary of trees and live cables.

I’d second that, lots of trees weakened, don’t be in a rush to get home after work either, still take the breaks if needed. Better be home later then planned. Drive safe on the road if you have to make that journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Oi5in

very intense 45 mins there just before midnight, worst i can remember in long time, still have power but not much longer id say. Its the rain now doing the damage, lots flooding and trees down in North Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Is it moving Cork - LK - Clare - GY?

Or Cork/Waterford - Tipp - KK - midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Goodnight all. Take care and stay safe. All quiet here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭endainoz

spookwoman wrote: »

That's quite handy, and with the added bonus of finding out who is applying for planning. How fantastically Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Sleep well, Graces. Stay safe xx

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I have the trampoline well weighted down, but I'm still worried for it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Geuze wrote: »

Cork/Waterford - Tipp - KK - midlands/east coast i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

East Limerick, not too far from Caherconlish. Power went early, around 10pm when there was only a mild wind. It seriously kicked off here at 12, I'm surrounded by oak trees, saw large branches fall, flashes of lightening, plant pots, someones rubbish flying around, debris everywhere as far as I can make out. Water coming in our windows right now, including velux's, never had this before! Pretty darn close to Ophelia scare factor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Geuze wrote: »

Cork, Limerick, and then darting off into the abyss(may also be referred to by some people as the Midlands).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has really cranked up in Kildare now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement