Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dummy_crusher

vid36 wrote: »
    Parts of County Roscommon and Leitrim now in the dark too.

This is news?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

On a boat in Carrick on Shannon getting battered like **** here. It's probably worse on the water but in all my years boating I don't think I've experienced something as bad.

It's really gone crazy here in the last hour near athenry.
    Thankfully I still have power here but its gone further east.
    I see my tado heating system thinks the window is open too due to the wind gusts creating a draft!

Hi Neighbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭DaithiMa

Thar she blows!! Some seriously strong gusts here now. 8 miles N and slightly W of Tuam on a hilltop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 darragh13542

CFlat wrote: »
    On a boat in Carrick on Shannon getting battered like **** here. It's probably worse on the water but in all my years boating I don't think I've experienced something as bad.

I agree I'm in a house and power could go, lights are flickering, where in the eye wall now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust of 98KMH at Casement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭TheBody

Power just gone in North Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Power gone west Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Lost power here in South East Sligo. Wind only starting to ramp up now.

• Advertisement

I'm in Carrick on Shannon and the amount of trees snapping is mad, I've a flask, torch and candles ready, this storm has brought the cold with it too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

pad199207 wrote: »
    Having some very opheliaesque gusts in Kildare now

Similar near Mountmellick/Portlaoise. Standard fare in the main but a few very serious gusts in last half hour.

Power gone to roscommon side of Carrick on Shannon, still strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Mid Midlands. Sustained winds. Lashing rain.
    Rotten weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

In a yellow warning county and it is quite easily an orange out there for sure. Never heard anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pad199207

Easing down now in Kildare. One or two gusts was borderline Ophelia but nowhere near as sustained as Ophelia or as damaging. She’s still the one to beat.

A good strong Yellow a good call by Met Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Horrendous in Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,544 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its rough up here in N. Donegal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bluedoor27

Electricity gone in south longford!! Lashing down and sustained winds. Managed to keep power during Ophelia but not Ellen!!

Has eased sone what in Carrick on Shannon but I'd say thats the eye moving north, lights keep flickering though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

That electrical fault in Ballygar seems to have taken out half of east Galway!

How long is this to continue to hit Ireland?

Will it be here for most of the day tomorrow?

The eye is over sligo and south donegal moving in northeast direction

Seems to be ramping up a little more in the last 10 mins ... the roof is creaking now as well with the gusts.

Been a long time since I remember those noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,746 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's still quite windy now, but the peak of it was from 1-2 am. I thought the electricity might go out at one stage, but it did not. It was certainly the strongest sustained wind I've experienced in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Graces7 wrote: »
    Goodnight all. Take care and stay safe. All quiet here now.

Did I really think that was it? I really should know better!

Marine red; coastal and 12 miles out to sea.

Howling and battering. Nasty tempered Ellen.

Two sodden cats came in when I called; two were in all night and one is still out there. Plenty of shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’m in a mobile home right in the Atlantic coast in Co. Clare. At 0:04, I went out in the deck to see what it was like. It was very breezy, but nothing unusual. Literally the second I came back inside, the wind picked up, and within a minute, rain was lashing in sideways, battering the front window, which faces west and has an unobstructed view of the ocean 50m away. I was half sure the window was going to come in, so I went to bed down the back, as far away from it as possible (but couldn’t sleep).

I was waiting for the wind to veer southerly, because there’s a hill to the south and I thought we’d get some shelter. It did veer southerly around 02:30, but there was no shelter, and the side of the mobile got an absolute pounding.

It finally eased off around 03:30. It’s still breezy, but it’s not rocking the mobile and it doesn’t feel like the windows are going to burst in any more. There’s a few big gusts from time to time.

Have to say, for a couple of hours there, it was pretty scary. Not going to risk it again Thursday night - windy.com is showing some more very high wind for Friday morning. Home is only a 30 minute drive away, so I’ll head after breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, the place is not shaking so it cannot be THAT bad. ...In eg Callum it shook and shivered. The rain is battering the front with a merciless venom. The door is on the dog lead, Storm tactics.... Routine!

Just reading rte news online. Orange for Mayo until 6 am. Ferocious. Some slight shivering of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Power out, wind has eased.

South Sligo
    90m asl

• Advertisement

Wind seems to be ramping up again of late

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement