Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,545 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Good to hear from you again Graces, hope you're keeping safe out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Well.Ellen managed something many other storms didn't...woke me with the noise! About an hour ago it was fierce here in the countryside outside of Sligo town. And still with significant gusts. Sadly my little weather station is only reading it like a stiff breeze...whatevers wrong with it... The trees are bowing almost to the ground here. A lowly 2 on the Beaufort scale that is not, little weather station! Hi to all the old familiar weather heads, nice to see ye all on the go. Stay safe out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nothing notable here in Donegal , seems to be calming now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Met Éireann got this by and large spot on.
    M.É. 1, IWC 0.

Let's see how he defends this one, with his red zone over half of the country. He will say that the "models" were wrong and that's not his fault, but all he does is takes the most impressive chart and claims that this is a sure thing, without ever discussing the range of different model data and the likely outcomes. He has zero knowledge and only knows how to look for colours on a map. Unfortunately there seems to be a following of people who take his word more seriously than the official forecasts, which can lead to panic and worry.

Still, he doesn't care about any of this and is only interested in promoting himself. The "Please Share" appeal on every post and the personal attributes he claims on Twitter just proves this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Who is IWC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Chong wrote: »
    Who is IWC?

Ireland's Weather Channel Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,882 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Even though the red warning has been over for nearly six hours here in cork it's still miserable here in cork. It's not stopped raining. Esb power check showing that return of power times in cork city for those who lost power as after midday. I'd love to know the rainfall number for cork city since 10pm last night. I've not looked in my back garden yet to see what size of tree branches are scattered around.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Denny61

Yes I'm.the same..who is IMC !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Denny61 wrote: »

A Clueless clown that several radio stations let him on air today spewing nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭corks finest

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Even though the red warning has been over for nearly six hours here in cork it's still miserable here in cork. It's not stopped raining. Esb power check showing that return of power times in cork city for those who lost power as after midday. I'd love to know the rainfall number for cork city since 10pm last night. I've not looked in my back garden yet to see what size of tree branches are scattered around.

Blowing big in Carrigaline still ( not constantly though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Neighbours tin shed clean gone this morning, gone over 3 walls knocking one.

I lost sunflowers, lupins and all my radish seedlings. Would've been worse if I'd not prepared. Woke up at 1.45am with the wind howling, I almost never wake up during storms!

East Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,545 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its calming now in N.Donegal, but I went outside at around 4:30 or so, and it was the loudest I have heard in a long time.
    Lot of big trees around me, and they were creating some amount of noise.

Was a rough night overall. If people had it worse than here, and I'm sure there was plenty, then I don't envy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

Denny61 wrote: »

A cinema chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Looking at the ESB power outage map it looks like the entire country had a rough night.
    https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

MY BAD wrote: »
    Looking at the ESB power outage map it looks like the entire country had a rough night.
    https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/index.html

Where I live says there's a fault since last night but nobody around here has lost power.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Ramping up here on the Mizen peninsula... This seems worse than during the red warning. Got woken up around 20 minutes ago by rain slamming against the windows, and there's been plenty of thunder and lightning since then. Still have power though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Met Éireann got this by and large spot on.
    M.É. 1, IWC 0.

+1 re ME. I think they got it spot on.

However I don't think IWC was ever a contender for comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Heavy rainfall in Athlone now very rough night lots of trees down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just adding up hourly reports, Cork had 25.6 mm of rain since this time yesterday morning. Some places further west had 40-50.

The country is now left in an unstable southwesterly flow with lines of showers and thunderstorms developing, some parts of Munster and the midlands could see hail with their thunderstorms.

Winds will continue blustery although generally below warning criteria, but could sometimes approach 100 km/hr in gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Neighbours tin shed clean gone this morning, gone over 3 walls knocking one.

I lost sunflowers, lupins and all my radish seedlings. Would've been worse if I'd not prepared. Woke up at 1.45am with the wind howling, I almost never wake up during storms!

East Galway.

Sunflowers lupins and radishes.........Jesus there must have been Carnage.thoughts and prayers etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Sunflowers lupins and radishes.........Jesus there must have been Carnage.thoughts and prayers etc

Pray for pansies.

In fairness, my pear tree produced its first and only pear this year.
    I’m afraid to check if it’s still on the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

2>3am in West Clare was ropey enough, very strong winds, I got up to do a quick check around the place and went back to bed. Talking to the Mrs now and she didn't believe me when I said it was that bad, it's very tranquil now out side with blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Wind and rain woke me at 1.40ish and again a bit after 4am, don't see any damage at the moment, still pretty wild. I'm on Kilkenny/Carlow border and friends on the mountains lost power about 9pm, not heard from them since, we still have power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Ah. Feels like the old days when storms were the height of newsworthy chatter!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anyone know the max gust from last night?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Anyone know the max gust from last night?

143kmh (...I think...) at Roches Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

This storm isnt what we were told it waa going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Crazy night. Still gusting and random downpours of rain. All sorts of debris in the garden. Carnage on the roads with trees down. Dont expect power back for quite a while. East cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭mossie

Absolutely torrential rain here at the moment (N. Cork) thunder and lightning in the area too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Lots of trees down, thankfully most of them are not on the road. Friend have trouble getting into work from Roscommon with trees down all over the place.
    Thunderstorms look like the next fun part.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement