Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭eon1208

Fellow enthusiasts.. A quick question. Can someone explain why the strongest winds were to the east of the northwards moving eye and the heaviest rains were to the west of the eye. I slept through it. Work had me done ha. I dint think that much rain fell in North East Laois. Anyone any figures..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

*eadaoin wrote: »
    Wow wind really picking up in Dublin 8 now, it’s howling around the city. I’m close to the new children’s hospital that’s being built and the sound of the wind in all the cranes is eerie!

I'm somewhere near you, so..... I wondered how those cranes would fare when I was driving home around 11pm last night! Thankfully I slept through the whole thing, and just had to tie up a few exhausted-looking sunflowers this morning.
    CFlat wrote: »
    On a boat in Carrick on Shannon getting battered like **** here. It's probably worse on the water but in all my years boating I don't think I've experienced something as bad.

Jaysus, that's either v brave or v foolish! As much as I love being tucked up on a boat in a blow, I'm not sure I'd have tried it last night. Hope you survived the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Neighbours tin shed clean gone this morning, gone over 3 walls knocking one.

I lost sunflowers, lupins and all my radish seedlings. Would've been worse if I'd not prepared. Woke up at 1.45am with the wind howling, I almost never wake up during storms!

East Galway.

That word had me racing outside! Ah poor lupins! Felled by Ellen! Still a few buds left though.. Flowers are hard fought for out here. And they make lovely cut flowers..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No power loss here in Ballincollig, was half expecting to wake up to it gone.

My little area of the world seems to have missed the brunt of the storm, thankfully.

I hope everyone is ok. It’s good that there are no reports of loss of life.

• Advertisement

Crazy out there but energising in a way. The sky is that shade of navy blue/purple ….
    Next job is to sort re the grocery delivery which will not be happening today.

Still one cat awol. Poor lad is probably hiding. Can't blame him as the wind is still ferocious. Love the look of the ocean in these circumstances.

And another sideways deluge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Met Éireann got this by and large spot on.
    M.É. 1, IWC 0.

Let's see how he defends this one, with his red zone over half of the country. He will say that the "models" were wrong and that's not his fault, but all he does is takes the most impressive chart and claims that this is a sure thing, without ever discussing the range of different model data and the likely outcomes. He has zero knowledge and only knows how to look for colours on a map. Unfortunately there seems to be a following of people who take his word more seriously than the official forecasts, which can lead to panic and worry.

Still, he doesn't care about any of this and is only interested in promoting himself. The "Please Share" appeal on every post and the personal attributes he claims on Twitter just proves this

I had a look on his FB page again this morning. The amount of people thanking him for getting it spot on is incredible. It's like some kind of mass delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

HeyV wrote: »

Always seem to be freaked out by that kinda thing, like getting a view of under the world

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

We must have missed the storm in Cork North West. Just got few gusts and plenty of rain and thunder and lightning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Pistachio19

Graces7 wrote: »
    Crazy out there but energising in a way. The sky is that shade of navy blue/purple ….
    Next job is to sort re the grocery delivery which will not be happening today.

Still one cat awol. Poor lad is probably hiding. Can't blame him as the wind is still ferocious. Love the look of the ocean in these circumstances.

I happened to get up at 5.40am and the cat who usually disappears during bad weather was on the window looking to get in. I was delighted to see him. He's been in since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭thomil

No power loss here in Ballincollig, was half expecting to wake up to it gone.

Seems that only the "core" parts of Ballincollig have power at the moment though. There's a ring of power outages around the town, almost like a donut.

It was certainly an "interesting" evening and night, to say the least, even after the worst had passed over. Not much to see in the way of damage from my place. Still pretty gusty though.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

I happened to get up at 5.40am and the cat who usually disappears during bad weather was on the window looking to get in. I was delighted to see him. He's been in since.

Two of mine who had been out all night raced in earlier, sodden. And fast asleep since. Just the one still out. He will come home when he is hungry. They are safe out here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

pad199207 wrote: »
    Gust of 98KMH at Casement

A storm force 10 gust in not exceptional by any means for Casement but is strong for the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

teednab-el wrote: »
    We must have missed the storm in Cork North West. Just got few gusts and plenty of rain and thunder and lightning.

Sounds like you got the best bit of the storm if you got lots of thunder/lightning!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It peaked at 40 kmh in North kerry. 5mm rain since midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

I had a look on his FB page again this morning. The amount of people thanking him for getting it spot on is incredible. It's like some kind of mass delusion.

Cathal Nolan, from Ireland's Weather Channel, says it's the worst weather since Storm Ophelia, which claimed three lives in 2017.
    "Certainly this storm ranks pretty evenly with Storm Ophelia," he said. "Some parts of the country have seen gusts of wind in the past few hours that have even exceeded the levels that were recorded during Storm Ophelia and of course the damage to power supplies is of a similar nature."

First it was worse than hurricane Charley, now it’s on par with Ophelia ...

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/195000-homes-businesses-without-power-due-to-storm-ellen-1014542.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Here in Mid Kerry it was pretty calm to be honest, top wind speed in my location of 62.8kmh and had about 23mm of rain since around 9:30 pm last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Anyone know the max gust from last night?

93.3 km/h at 22.35 in Carlow, according to Carlow Weather. I couldn’t sleep with the noise. Lots of trees around here so I’m expecting some damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

It has been absolutely wild here all morning on the coast near Kinsale. We are in a pretty exposed place so are used to wind. On a scale out of 10, I would say about 7 out of 10. I’m no expert but this seems like orange level stuff to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Just trying to get to work here in Tipp. Place is in bits. All roads out of Aherlow blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

93.3 km/h at 22.35 in Carlow, according to Carlow Weather. I couldn’t sleep with the noise. Lots of trees around here so I’m expecting some damage.

There was as 77kt (147 km/h) gust at reported at Roches Point, entrance to Cork Harbour

edit: Sorry, meant to quote MilkyPirate..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

Maxed out at 108kmh here at around 12:40am

bloody loud enough to keep me awake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Skibbereen co cork (pic Twitter)
    kF4X8lb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Absolute carnage here in mid Kildare. Rubbish strewn all over the roads, hedges and greenery also. Am concerned about the back roads being impassable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Made some rain between the showers here and football rolled down the lawn, south west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

It wasnt anywhere as deadly as storm Darwin or even Ophelia lets be honest. Orange Warning at some locations at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A big tree down just off Johnstown Road in Cabinteely, Co Dublin.

Supposed to see this as I didn’t think we’d gotten got that badly here, but obviously shows you the vulnerability of trees to wind this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

5 trees down on my road

• Advertisement

m17 wrote: »
    Skibbereen co cork (pic Twitter)
    kF4X8lb.jpg

I thought skibbereen was part of the flood relief scheme?,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement