Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow Rainfall warning for Ireland
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy squally downpours and thunderstorms will bring a risk of spot flooding at times today and tonight.

Valid: 09:00 Thursday 20/08/2020 to 05:00 Friday 21/08/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Think I just heard thunder in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

teednab-el wrote: »
    It wasnt anywhere as deadly as storm Darwin or even Ophelia lets be honest. Orange Warning at some locations at a push.

Regardless, it was a remarkable storm for the time of year with national August records set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I thought skibbereen was part of the flood relief scheme?,

It's not finished yet - and while it may be able to handle the River Ilen in spate, I suspect that no Irish flood relief scheme can handle flash flooding of the kind that occurred last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There never will be be a flood system here that will handle that level of flash flood rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭hurikane

If these trends continue, this should be hugely embarrassing for Met Eireann. Not the first time they have cried wolf in recent years of course but the impact of their warning on struggling tourism businesses should leave them open to some very difficult questions

No need for the MET Éireann tribunal so......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Some drying in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seabelle

I thought it was all over. It was a lovely bright morning but we've had thunder lightning and very heavy rain in Youghal for the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

sumtings wrote: »
    Shannon reported a 113km gust in the last hour, would at least tally with what was seen in Limerick

And that squall missed shannon. It was worse in limerick city east clare at about 12.20am. It was horrendous. Power was gone no street lights the rain was hitting houses and ground so hard it created a misty fog in over 100km winds

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Absolute carnage here in mid Kildare. Rubbish strewn all over the roads, hedges and greenery also. Am concerned about the back roads being impassable.

Update - roads passable but untidy with strewn leaves and branches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

leahyl wrote: »
    Think I just heard thunder in cork city

We must be neighbours cause i did too!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

seabelle wrote: »
    I thought it was all over. It was a lovely bright morning but we've had thunder lightning and very heavy rain in Youghal for the last 20 minutes.

This would explain the last few Cork-related posts!

(Sorry, can't embed it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Thankfully in North Clare it's business as usual, hardly any debris on the roads and the river's are swollen slightly alright.

So sorry to hear about people's property businesses and roadways blocked and flooded.

The engineer's in this county need to ask the older generation how it was done back in the day.
    I'm know some aul fellas in their 70's and 80's who'd run ring's around the modern day engineer's in country councils.

Because diverting river's and drainage schemes in the last 30 year's have been a national catastrophe.

There's some idiot's out there who have no clue about how river's streams and lake's work...

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    We must be neighbours cause i did too!

Same, north of Blackpool 5 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Carrigaline, Co. Cork reporting ..

Last half hour or so lots of thunder/lightning and torrential downpours.

Passed on a bit now, but im sure wont be the last of it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1percent

I thought skibbereen was part of the flood relief scheme?,

It's not the river bursting its banks that was the issue this time, there is a culvert up the old Baltimore cut that takes all the run off from the hills, that culvert got clogged so the run off goes down the road and through the ally next to the hotel to the river instead. It happened in 2016 I want to say as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Someone on local radio here in cork talking about their shed taking off last night and flying in different directions :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

leahyl wrote: »
    Someone on local radio here in cork talking about their shed taking off last night and flying in different directions :-P

You might shed some light into that for us? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Electricity finally came back after being gone for twelve hours. Not ten minutes later, thunderstorm starts.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

In cork city, and heavens just opened. Had a good 5 minutes of torrential rain and now the sun is coming out.

Hearing Thunder now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Thunder and lightning in clonmel.
    Absolutely lashing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Thunder and lightning in Cahir now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Massive tree came down in my neighbour's garden in South Wicklow even though the winds weren't particularly strong here. No damage done thankfully other than the tree itself. None of mine came down, was very worried about them though. Have a few that are well over 100 years old and would be awful to lose them.

1percent wrote: »
    It's not the river bursting its banks that was the issue this time, there is a culvert up the old Baltimore cut that takes all the run off from the hills, that culvert got clogged so the run off goes down the road and through the ally next to the hotel to the river instead. It happened in 2016 I want to say as well.

Council responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath, Cork, Kerry and Waterford

Very strong south to southeast winds later today, veering southwesterly overnight with the potential for further impacts and a continued risk of coastal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Tramore, no major waves this morning, not worth getting out of bed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Latest OPC surface analysis:
    523588.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Council responsibility?

skibbereen-railway-cutting-now-a-road-DRC5GR.jpg

Probably. Although, given the volume of water coming off the hills, the culvert probably couldn't have coped even if the storm debris hadn't clogged it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Pray for pansies.

In fairness, my pear tree produced its first and only pear this year.
    I’m afraid to check if it’s still on the tree.

The pear did not survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,276 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

The pear did not survive.

Thoughts and prayers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement