Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Plenty of power outages in the local area. 2 trees fallen on the farm and plenty more down in the area.
    Heavy rain at the moment.
    Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Dry storm in Sligo

5.4mm of rain in total but branches n trees down in numerous locations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

How was the wind?

Worst of it was last night between 1 and 2, nothing of any note this morning.
    ECMWF model predicted gusts of 145Kph in the midlands at its peak, happily never came to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Still fairly windy here in Rochestown, no power but still have mobile service. No trees down by the looks of it, we escaped clearly because there is a lot of trees up here.

There is a small tree uprooted on the main through road in Mount Oval for completeness sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Pray for pansies.

In fairness, my pear tree produced its first and only pear this year.
    I’m afraid to check if it’s still on the tree.

My pear tree produced a load this year and they are all still intact - pears must be hardy fruits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    That thundery cell is making its way up the country, looks like it might skirt past Dublin to the west though.

I just looked at the radar, there were probably some heavy showers in Meath and Kildare and nothing of significance for the next couple of hours for Dublin

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

So the day after the night before ... here in cork. What are we to expect as this day rolls on? Are we over the worst OR round 2 due at some point?

Even Tornadoes :D ???

https://twitter.com/Netweather/status/1296402457883484168

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm trying to work out from that map whereabouts in Kilkenny that torndao is going to appear :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

aidanodr wrote: »
    So the day after the night before ... here in cork. What are we to expect as this day rolls on? Are we over the worst OR round 2 due at some point?

Even Tornadoes :D ???

https://twitter.com/Netweather/status/1296402457883484168

2020 always upping the ante.

Mere thunderstorms are SO 2019.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    2020 always upping the ante.

Mere thunderstorms are SO 2019.. :)

More on Tornadoes ..

https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/1296406120031047682

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

DOCARCH wrote: »
    143kmh (...I think...) at Roches Point.

According to IWC it was 178kmh kinsale gas platform..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

jimmynokia wrote: »

That’s offshore. Roughly 90-100m above the sea. But sure we knew he would use Fastnet or Kinsale Energy Gusts for his trophy before the storm even happened.

The max gust of only 143kmh at Roche’s Point puts a 3 egg undercooked omelette on his face

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

pad199207 wrote: »
    That’s offshore. Roughly 90-100m above the sea. But sure we knew he would use Fastnet or Kinsale Energy Gusts for his trophy before the storm even happened.

Hopefully people and the radio stations that had him on yesterday wake up now. The people lauding him saying he was on the ball is priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The highest measured 10-minute mean speed was 111 kph (60 kt) at Roche's Point, absolutely in line with the latest Harmonie forecast yesterday afternoon.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1296402226882240518

Here are the highest gusts. Of course, they don't include the Kinsale platform, which has its anemometer 55 metres above the surface.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1296400489777639424

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Clown....

Always interesting to observe what's happening at Kinsale platform and Fastnet but they are not representative/wind instruments not in accordance with IMO standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Winds picking up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Winds picking up now.

They have been picking up for the last 15 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Hopefully people and the radio stations that had him on yesterday wake up now. The people lauding him saying he was on the ball is priceless

I'm tempted to comment on his page about how wrong he got it but sure what's the point? People on there just don't want to hear it. They'll slate met eireann while congratulating him on how right he was. Never mind the fact he was miles off the mark and ME actually got it spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Still no power in South Roscommon. Might be restored tomorrow?
    Worst storm in my memory. Hundreds of trees down locally. Peak was 12.30 to 1.30am.
    Noise was scary. The Christmas storms of 97/98? might have had stronger winds and lasted longer but this did more damage.
    Lost a shed roof and had a heifers killed in Opelia but this was worse.
    No phones. No internet. Only emergency calls possible on the mobile network til now.

Hat tip to Mt Cranium who specifically mentioned Ros/E Galway in the firing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

eastie17 wrote: »
    East Cork very bad, local radio wasn’t even doing it justice. Trees down everywhere, most R and L roads blocked into Midleton

Yes, what a night and morning. Very high winds, rain, thunder and lightning.

Trees felled in Cobh and on the Fota Road this morning. Some power outages in Cobh. Cross River Ferry was out of service this morning until around 09:50. Still very gusty and raining currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Roadside trees,a huge issue ignored and neglected by Government, County Councils and landowners for decades.They should be all cut down,everytime there is a storm,you can write the same script about roads blocked.Thankfully I haven't heard about any fatalities.

ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I'm tempted to comment on his page about how wrong he got it but sure what's the point? People on there just don't want to hear it. They'll slate met eireann while congratulating him on how right he was. Never mind the fact he was miles off the mark and ME actually got it spot on.

No idea about the other lad but ME certainly didn't get it "spot on".

They had Roscommon - and neighbouring severely affected counties in a "yellow" warning - totally wrong.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

back online now after an entire night without power or broadband. Winds didn't seem too bad here at first and then the power went around 11.30pm, about 15 minutes afterwards the winds became much worse. Power only restored this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Gonzo wrote: »
    back online now after an entire night without power or broadband. Winds didn't seem too bad here at first and then the power went around 11.30pm, about 15 minutes afterwards the winds became much worse. Power only restored this morning.

Was much damage done in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Still no power here estimated 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I'm not too fussed over the IWC or similar people trying to put their 2 cents in - sensationalist forecasts are part and parcel of the hobby, though maybe in this case the large following is a little more dangerous. Agree with Oneric too, the media does this every day, and they actually phrase their articles as if its directly coming from Met Eireann - it's always ''Met Eireann predict massive heatwave'' despite the official forecast being 18-22 degree weather or that. At least IWC pushes himself as something separate and kind of, I am better than MetE.

Laughable though how his feed was full of praise this morning. General public hasn't a scooby doo. Whatever about Cork, and at a push Limerick/Clare, we had gusts elsewhere of 90-110 km/h. Just an absolute world away from 150-160 km/h gusts over a widespread area and supposed imminent red warning upgrades. IWC was bang on the money though apparently. These people in his comments praising him right now are the same folk who bash MetE for predicting winds of 120 km/h and the max gust only ends up being 119km/h. I could write a thesis how baffled I am how some people in inland Leinster for e.g. on his page have woke up this morning convinced they have just lived through a red warning historic storm with 150 km/h gusts. Christ.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Was much damage done in your area?

I'm unsure of that but i'll be heading to the shops soon and will take a look. It was certainly the loudest wind I have heard here since probably Storm Darwin. It's also the first wind storm to knock our power since Storm Darwin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

'Ellen' brought nothing more than the bog standard, not out of the ordinary wet and windy stuff here in 'orange' Galway. These colour warnings have become the equivalent of the boy who cried wolf for these parts.

New Moon

Roadside trees,a huge issue ignored and neglected by Government, County Councils and landowners for decades.They should be all cut down,everytime there is a storm,you can write the same script about roads blocked.Thankfully I haven't heard about any fatalities.

Don't stop at the roads. All trees anywhere near houses, footpaths and in public parks need to go. The safety of the human is paramount here.
    Also, dangerous lakes need to be drained and backfilled with gravel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭The Undecided One

Don't stop at the roads. All trees anywhere near houses, footpaths and in public parks need to go. The safety of the human is paramount here.
    Also, dangerous lakes need to be drained and backfilled with gravel.

Just the lakes? What about the ocean? How many people die in the ocean each year?

Mix it with concrete all the way to New York!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement