Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Neddyusa wrote: »
    No idea about the other lad but ME certainly didn't get it "spot on".

They had Roscommon - and neighbouring severely affected counties in a "yellow" warning - totally wrong.

Out of curiosity;
    Mount Dillon (Roscommon) - 102 km/h max gust (yellow).
    Mullingar (Westmeath) - 83 km/h max gust (n/a).
    Ballyhaise (Cavan) - 94 km/h max gust (yellow).
    Gurteen (Offaly) - 85 km/h max gust (n/a).

Can't remember what Pauldry in Sligo got. Galway and Mayo were orange warnings. Now maybe trees in full leaf spiced things up a little but I think MetE did alright, if anything I'm sure you'd have people in Galway and Mayo argue an Orange was excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

And we had the opposite colour coding complaint here. Definitely orange to red impact level here - and we under a (now completely ignored) "yellow"!

Similar to Ophelia, the worst of the winds with this took a track to the East of Galway/Mayo.
    Mt called the track much more accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

DA reported winds from the south for much of the 'peak' - winds maxed out in the mid 60km/h range (must be very sheltered with this wind direction , Wicklow Mts?). Highest gust was 70 km/h when direction was SE. The lowest recorded gust of all Met E stations. Here in D9 it just never took off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

A few employers true colours showing today...

It seems all the covid procedures some workplaces have implemented have got out the window when your workforce are without power at home...

Certainly worst storm impact wise here in over 23 years. Shows why ME need to go to an "impact" model.
    Also the closest of those weather stations to us is over 40 miles away (Mt Dillon) - but thats story for another day.
    ESB estimates we'll get power back on Saturday :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Would point out that there is a real lack of anemometers in the corridor around Dungarvan to Clonmel, where serious damage was done and the very highest wind speeds were expected. Pity we don't have a station between Roches Point and Wexford.

John.Icy wrote: »
    Out of curiosity;
    Mount Dillon (Roscommon) - 102 km/h max gust (yellow).
    Mullingar (Westmeath) - 83 km/h max gust (n/a).
    Ballyhaise (Cavan) - 94 km/h max gust (yellow).
    Gurteen (Offaly) - 85 km/h max gust (n/a).

Can't remember what Pauldry in Sligo got. Galway and Mayo were orange warnings. Now maybe trees in full leaf spiced things up a little but I think MetE did alright, if anything I'm sure you'd have people in Galway and Mayo argue an Orange was excessive.

Certainly worst storm impact wise here in over 23 years. Shows why ME need to go to an "impact" model.
    Also the closest of those weather stations to us is over 40 miles away (Mt Dillon) - but thats story for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Torrential downpours now over Carrigaline / Cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Don't stop at the roads. All trees anywhere near houses, footpaths and in public parks need to go. The safety of the human is paramount here.
    Also, dangerous lakes need to be drained and backfilled with gravel.

And mountains and hills levelled to prevent any risk of landslides /avalanches. Thousands die in landslides and avalanches every winter, but the gubbernment just doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Well no one was killed by this storm, so it’s not as bad as some others in terms of impact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

John.Icy wrote: »
    I'm not too fussed over the IWC or similar people trying to put their 2 cents in - sensationalist forecasts are part and parcel of the hobby, though maybe in this case the large following is a little more dangerous. Agree with Oneric too, the media does this every day, and they actually phrase their articles as if its directly coming from Met Eireann - it's always ''Met Eireann predict massive heatwave'' despite the official forecast being 18-22 degree weather or that. At least IWC pushes himself as something separate and kind of, I am better than MetE.

Laughable though how his feed was full of praise this morning. General public hasn't a scooby doo. Whatever about Cork, and at a push Limerick/Clare, we had gusts elsewhere of 90-110 km/h. Just an absolute world away from 150-160 km/h gusts over a widespread area and supposed imminent red warning upgrades. IWC was bang on the money though apparently. These people in his comments praising him right now are the same folk who bash MetE for predicting winds of 120 km/h and the max gust only ends up being 119km/h. I could write a thesis how baffled I am how some people in inland Leinster for e.g. on his page have woke up this morning convinced they have just lived through a red warning historic storm with 150 km/h gusts. Christ.

Just some of his claims from his LinkedIn page...

By the way, he studied politics at UCD and has just started a "climate change" PhD, but not sure if it's on the science or politics of it. He doesn't mention what award he won, which is strange.

523628.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What's the rainfall prediction for this evening/tonight?

??

Well no one was killed by this storm, so it’s not as bad as some others in terms of impact

Great news if that's the case - I'd say the time of night was the biggest factor in that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

By the way, he studied politics at UCD and has just started a "climate change" PhD, but not sure if it's on the science or politics of it. He doesn't mention what award he won, which is strange.

Climate science isn't politics, but it is purely political.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

523628.JPG

He will be part of the government soon pushing climate change policies!!!🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Cathal is some man..

I love the "fast becoming the nations most trusted meterological agency" bit..

Delusions of grandeur...

You know he is a clickbait merchant when he shows up on Matt Coopers show,,

Bejubby wrote: »
    He will be part of the government soon pushing climate change policies!!!��

He got 'retweeted' by politicians yesterday, which is how I came across him. Basically, he informed us that AGW was causing all our weather and that we need to change our ways. That isn't science - it's preaching in the most fundamentalist sense of the word in order to garner influence with those who hold power. To wit: empty posturing.

New Moon

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    'Ellen' brought nothing more than the bog standard, not out of the ordinary wet and windy stuff here in 'orange' Galway. These colour warnings have become the equivalent of the boy who cried wolf for these parts.
    Mace Head got Orange and borerline red wind speeds. I understand that that's very exposed compared to other parts of the county. However, if you look at the amount of trees down in this link, it certainly wasn't an ordinary wet and windy night.
    All it takes is one tree down in the wrong place to cause a major power outage. And that could be the difference between one person thinking "this is the worst storm ever" and another a few miles down the road thinking "that was a nothing storm". It does, however, lend credence to the thinking that we should do away with county-wide warnings, though that in itself could cause it's own problems.
    And Met Éireann do take the impacts of the weather into account, as is described on their website.

Personally I think Met Eireann got it right, more or less. It's still an inexact science and this storm in particular seemed to be very difficult to nail down even yesterday. I think the proof of that is that the amount of people that were bigging it up last night that they'd get it completely wrong are nowhere to be seen today.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

So whats the situation tonight, bad scattered thunderstorms up the midlands/east coast or just very heavy rain up the midlands/east coast?
    (accompanied by the wind too ofc)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

A few strong gusts in North Clare, just near Ballyvaughan now and it whipped up fairly strong...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Ah here i doubt that. It might have been bad but nowhere near those levels.

Mace Head got Orange and borerline red wind speeds. I understand that that's very exposed compared to other parts of the county. However, if you look at the amount of trees down in this link, it certainly wasn't an ordinary wet and windy night.

I don't live anywhere near Mace Hd, but I do live in a very flat, exposed location and last night's event was nothing out of the ordinary in these parts. Only a few days ago we were given a 'yellow rainfall' warning for the county and ended up with nothing more than few mils, and this is far from the first time this has happened.

New Moon

??

I'd say there's a fairly good chance of rain tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

I don't think anyone should ever use the death toll to grade storms. It's grotesque and ghoulish. And just plain stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

teednab-el wrote: »
    Ah here i doubt that. It might have been bad but nowhere near those levels.

You’re almost as bad as that oldsnowy fool. Wouldn’t be surprised if you’re the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    'Ellen' brought nothing more than the bog standard, not out of the ordinary wet and windy stuff here in 'orange' Galway. These colour warnings have become the equivalent of the boy who cried wolf for these parts.

You are unlucky.
    It was orange level in parts of East Galway, East Mayo and Roscommon. It was the strongest wind i've experienced in a long time. Although i was not here for Ophelia, so maybe that one was just as good/worst depending on your point view. As has been said M.T Cranium was on the money again. Can a Canadian become president? Or is that taking things too far:)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭vid36

200,000 homes without power at one point is a pretty significant impact in my view regardless of wind speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I don't think anyone should ever use the death toll to grade storms. It's grotesque and ghoulish. And just plain stupid.

Ah give over.
    Unfortunately the more destructive storms generally cause deaths.
    It’s not plain stupid but thanks for throwing that remark in.

You are unlucky.
    It was orange level in parts of East Galway, East Mayo and Roscommon. It was the strongest wind i've experienced in a long time. Although i was not here for Ophelia, so maybe that one was just as good/worst depending on your point view. As has been said M.T Cranium was on the money again. Can a Canadian become president? Or is that taking things too far:)

Ophelia was a bigger event here, both in terms of wind speed and general damage, and we missed the worst of it!

New Moon

• Advertisement

But that aside, yes, I would agree that M.T should nominate himself for leadership in this country. Practical; methodical; sees bull**** for what it is and cuts straight through it; has a sense of humour etc. Basically, traits that our shower of brain dead, soulless, money hungry gombeens lack.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement