Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Thunder, lightning, heavy rain and strong wind, a rough night in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,320 ✭✭✭CH3OH

In South Wicklow I have thunder, lightning, torrential rain, and very strong gusts. It's like the apocalypse out there!

We must be close..

Absolutely bucketing it down Arklow

Anyone camping will be going from Staycation to Flotation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭adocholiday

CH3OH wrote: »
    We must be close..

Absolutely bucketing it down Arklow

Anyone camping will be going from Staycation to Flotation

I'm near Rathdrum. Down in a bit of a valley so generally sheltered from the worst of the winds but still gets gusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The rain is unreal, like someone throwing buckets of gravel on the roof. Thunder and lightning too. Wouldn't be surprised if it snowed the way things are going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Merkin wrote: »
    Same. It’s Biblical here. Crazy gusts all evening, torrential rain and now a pretty intense thunder and lightning storm!

??I'm in Bray and nothing but lashing rain. Lightningmap.org isn't showing anything recent expecially in North Wicklow???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Lots of lightning in Wexford, surreal stormy conditions! Wind and rain have been battering the place. Was at the beach earlier and never saw the sea so rough

If there is indeed Lightning coming to North Wicklow and Bray then perhaps tonight is not the right night to be wearing/using my VR Headset!!

MV5BZWVjNDRiNzQtYzYwMy00MjZkLTgxMjItNmIxMGVkODFjMTBkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,962_AL_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

That rain is seriously heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Calibos wrote: »
    ??I'm in Bray and nothing but lashing rain. Lightningmap.org isn't showing anything recent expecially in North Wicklow???

Serious thunder and lightning in Greystones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Windsm's picking up now.

• Advertisement

cotton wrote: »
    Serious thunder and lightning in Greystones!

Yeah, saw 3 in the last minute or two and Lightningsmaps showed them and the Thunder hit exactly when the radiating soundwave graphic hit Bray.

Still wouldn't call it 'Bonkers' though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Merkin wrote: »
    The thunder and lightning is bonkers here!

Can I assume that when you describe the lightning as bonkers, you mean it's so frequent that it's almost like a strobe light..... Something along the lines of this... https://youtu.be/xZI_UZkphn0

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Have my beads out also that we'll get some thunder and lightning in South Dublin!
    Horrendous rain and wind all evening, worse than last night.

As the weather system that is affecting us now is a different one to Ellen yesterday, is this thread now null and void?

Or is it being kept open because Ellen is/was a Daughter Low of the parent low, which is the one affecting us at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

highdef wrote: »
    As the weather system that is affecting us now is a different one to Ellen yesterday, is this thread now null and void?

Or is it being kept open because Ellen is/was a Daughter Low of the parent low, which is the one affecting us at the moment?

For some of us it has not stopped since yesterday so we naturally conclude it is the same or we are just back online commenting on yesterday after losing internet access for 20+ hrs.

krissovo wrote: »
    For some of us it has not stopped since yesterday so we naturally conclude it is the same or we are just back online commenting on yesterday after losing internet access for 20+ hrs.

Yeah, I totally get that but what's here now is not Storm Ellen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

spookwoman wrote: »
    Tide better tonight at Tramore

50249196856_b805d9138f.jpg

WTF are these eejits doing :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭spookwoman

WTF are these eejits doing :eek:
    Watch full screen and look at the end of the prom at the railings in front of the hut

spookwoman wrote: »
    Watch full screen and look at the end of the prom at the railings in front of the hut

Some people are just too complacent!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"The party's over..."

Waking to blissful silence - well almost so. AND my missing cat finally came home after three days so all is well.

So now we pick up the pieces. And replenish; hoping groceries today as of course we were cut off. Ellen was a disrupter...

Wondering, given my chopper outing to hospital recently, how or if the Air Ambulance copes in these storms.

Many many thanks, boards ie for the excellent coverage and companionship.

Stay well; stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Gonzo wrote: »
    back online now after an entire night without power or broadband. Winds didn't seem too bad here at first and then the power went around 11.30pm, about 15 minutes afterwards the winds became much worse. Power only restored this morning.
    Count urself lucky we’re 30 hours in without power, supposed to back after lunch today. Some places not till tomorrow. Storm made **** of the grid in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

...and the rain keeps on giving. Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

The skies have cleared here in Meath.
    Breezy and sunny now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Oh my god that thunder last night. Wicklow town. Was actually frightening. We kept our power but fuses blew after the worst of it around 12 o clock for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

eastie17 wrote: »
    Count urself lucky we’re 30 hours in without power, supposed to back after lunch today. Some places not till tomorrow. Storm made **** of the grid in cork

Yes same here in East Limerick, still no ESB since 10pm Wednesday. Hoping it will be today, but our fault is only effecting 116 people, and there are bigger faults nearby so guessing we are low on the totem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

2013Lara wrote: »
    Oh my god that thunder last night. Wicklow town. Was actually frightening. We kept our power but fuses blew after the worst of it around 12 o clock for some reason.

Anything like this....

https://youtu.be/7O_pM6I9sws

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sudden very strong gusts of wind and really heavy rain here, woke me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

bangkok wrote: »
    Anything like this....

https://youtu.be/7O_pM6I9sws

:)

That's proper scary if I lived out in the Country and that was overhead you were bound to get a hit at some stage. Imagine what it would be like at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Jeez power absolutely wrecked up and down the country. I don't remember it getting hit that bad in other storms was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

Me neither. I wonder did more trees fall because they were full of leaves?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement