Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Holiday in Ireland they said. This storm will kill off any enthusiasm for holidaying at home in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just seen the SkyNews forecast. Quite bland. one mention of gusts and the only mention of Ellen was that it was named by the Irish Met Service..

Hopefully they have got it right.

Sky News couldn’t care less about Ireland, only concerned about the UK :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I hope community centres, sports club buildings etc are opened up to campers and caravanners to get them out of those conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ppn off the scale in the South
    The gfs has gone from least interested to most severe in 6 hours!
    Red warning imminent for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

So red for rain and not wind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lol you’re a howl, every post of yours always has the worst weather for Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Holiday in Ireland they said. This storm will kill off any enthusiasm for holidaying at home in future.

? Hardly.

leahyl wrote: »
    Lol you’re a howl, every post of yours always has the worst weather for Cork

Cork city? Cork county?!

I hope community centres, sports club buildings etc are opened up to campers and caravanners to get them out of those conditions

I also hope its properly reported on in all media outlets. If someone is currently sat in a tent in Ballyaughan, I hope they brought a radio with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

One of the strongest storms of the year on the way and the Shannon radar decides to die again. Great..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

optogirl wrote: »
    ? Hardly.

Well it's killed off my enthusiasm anyway! Meant to be going to Kerry in the morning FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I don't see red warning winds on GFS, am I missing something? Still showing gusts of 100 -120 in coastal areas

One of the strongest storms of the year on the way and the Shannon radar decides to die again. Great..

Years of neglect of underfunding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

typhoony wrote: »
    GFS 06z has shifted in further east, South East and East Coast getting the worst of the winds, similar track to the FAX chart.

also winds not as bad in the west for the next few days.

Which is not what ME are forecasting plenty of wind from them for the West

I don't see red warning winds on GFS, am I missing something? Still showing gusts of 100 -120 in coastal areas

Think it’s the rain levels he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

GFS continues its trend of converging solutions with ECM, now up to about 60% intensity, track now into eastern Ireland (before it was across the Irish Sea).

Lows on this scale can sometimes have very severe impacts over relatively small areas leaving many other places with less severe outcomes. Since there is no certainty on track, saying where those small areas might be at this stage is pointless.

My hunch is that the landfall will be between Waterford and Cork (cities) with a track across Tipps and east Galway into Roscommon and Leitrim. If that were the case, some wind damage would be most likely just to the west of Waterford and into Kilkenny, highest rainfalls would be on the west side of the track.

Keep in mind this is a hunch, based on where I think the energy is directed. GFS continually shifting west tells me it might do so again at 12z then would be set with eventual solution. Note it is also converging on ECM intensity but that might be 10-20 per cent overdone.

I think orange alert (on land) still seems more likely than red although a few locations could have red alert type impacts. A lot would depend on exact track with some fairly low population density options between Cork and Waterford but higher density options near both of those cities.

Most likely to arrive around 2100-2200h although with 3 hours either side as range of timing possibilities (for centre to make landfall).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hmm, trying to advise a friend who is planning on going camping tomorrow in Clare from Dublin not to go. She is not trusting my weather forecasting skills.

Tell her bring a kite:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Which is not what ME are forecasting plenty of wind from them for the West

If GFS catching up, we can expect it to trend further west in next 2 runs.

But overall certainly Mayo may escape worst.

Extension of Orange into Midland Leinster looks likely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

aisling86 wrote: »
    The stupidity on camping with kids in Ireland group is scary!

Not sure if there's missing or misspelled wording?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Well it's killed off my enthusiasm anyway! Meant to be going to Kerry in the morning FFS.

I'm wondering should I get out of kerry and bring the house with me :)

Matt Hugo thinks ECM has best handle on this with regards to pressure anyway. Would tend to follow its guidance more than GFS.

spookwoman wrote: »
    This the same iwc Award Winning Climate Scientist | Founder of Ireland’s Weather Channel | Climate Activist | Keynote Speaker
    https://twitter.com/nolan_cathal/status/1295828000546664448?s=20

Cringe. As credible as the "famous" Donegal postman who makes seasonal predictions based on which direction cows are facing. These charlatans deserve only indifference.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Hurrache wrote: »
    Not sure if there's missing or misspelled wording?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If GFS catching up, we can expect it to trend further west in next 2 runs.

But overall certainly Mayo may escape worst.

Extension of Orange into Midland Leinster looks likely

Mayo has been spared the worst all this week for a welcome change. That same trajectory as MT is describing . Rain and wind have by and large passed us by until yesterday. We shall see!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

Graces7 wrote: »
    Mayo has been spared the worst all this week for a welcome change. Rain and wind have by and large passed us by until yesterday. We shall see!

Do my eyes deceive me?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The sun is out here in west mayo, and its pleasantly warm in a south east breeze.

Have taken the garden furniture and the solar lighting in just incase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Graces7 wrote: »
    Mayo has been spared the worst all this week for a welcome change. Rain and wind have by and large passed us by until yesterday. We shall see!

Good to see you posting again, lock up the furballs tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Heading to Youghal on Friday morning what do you guys think it will be like it?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - Wind warning for Munster, Galway and Mayo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Storm Ellen will track over Ireland this evening and tonight bringing severe and damaging winds.

Heavy rainfall and storm surge will result in some flooding.

Valid: 21:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020 to 06:00 Thursday 20/08/2020

Issued: 11:22 Wednesday 19/08/2020

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement