Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limousin Herd Dispersals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

See Milan herd have announced their dispersing sale next July

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ah that's sad. I bought a heifer from Donal years ago. One of my favourite cows now. He was a gentleman to deal with. I met him after too and he asked me how I got on with her.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

I see the Milan herd is having a dispersal sale on the 20th of July in Elphin, does anyone have any background off this herd?! Was looking at getting into a few pedigree cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I bought 5 heifers in 2020 after one of those dispersal sales when I found out the man kept a number of his cattle. They didn’t work out at all. I’ve never seen cattle as wild they put the whole place mad. One had a wee tot calf and no milk, one never went in calf and then there were 2 heifers and a bull calf. He was a nice animal but we squeezed him. Thankfully there’s only one more heifer yearling left and when she’s gone that’ll be the whole lot of them away. Waste of money and not even a luck penny. I was disgusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Niallers87

Jez it sounds like you had no luck at all, did the farmer basically hold back the best of the stock and sold the worst of them? Nothing worst then a wild limo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Yeh - got caught too, a few years ago, in one of those dispersal sales, fluffed up before sale by hype and the ifj.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Better to go to farm and view them. Then you can see what the set up is. Went to a farm last year, ad lib meal- he'd said they're only getting a pinch of meal on phone- also bought a smashing heifer at a sale who melted and took nearly 2 years to come back right and look normal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭visatorro

Don't forget about a couple of fr cows running with the sucklers so calves get abit of milk. Heard that before.

Ye, calves on 2 cows, milk powder in the meal.....some sucklers have very little milk, calf wont thrive without it. As for the registration of calves weeks after they're born…

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mr..

The Milan herd are having an open day on the 30th of June

• Advertisement

Due her 3rd calf soon. Bought as incalf heifer. She melted

• Registered Users Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's very hard too to buy stock to suit your own farm.

I bought calves from one farmer and only one is any good out of five. Two now cows have gone down in the bloods for tb. I've heard other buying stock also as calves and half didn't do, not going in calf, poor doers.

You can have a lovely herd but be selling off your worst breeding and how you have your lovely herd.

Or sometimes the genetic make-up or gut microbiome just doesn't suit your farm and soil.

On the bloods I'm beginning to think there's a low level of tb possible in herds that only bloods will show. This can then manifest as not milking to full potential, not going in calf when they should, being slightly behind in performance of their comrades. Could be a type that spreads from mother to calf through milk and never shows in a skin test.

Anyway digressing away from Lim herd or not dispersals.

Here's the Milan cow I bought as a heifer. That's her own heifer standing behind her in the first pic. She's had 6 calves to date, all within 365 days interval. She does have poor docility figures even though she is very quiet and so are her calves.

I hate to admit it but I bought the lunatics on farm. I’d heard they weren’t over dear at the sale so I took a race down. Picked out 5 and then came back the second day to lift them. I was foolish it was a silly lockdown idea but to get such unsuitable ones and no goodwill with them was very disappointing. Even in terms of thrive I’d have our own cattle ahead of them. Lesson learnt anyhow.
    man contacted me again to see did I know anyone Lookin a bull. Not a word about how the heifers were doin. He got healthy money for them and didn’t part with a shillin of luck

That's very tight of him not to give a luck penny, everyone gets luck money here, apart from one prick dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Mr..

Does anyone know is it only some stock thats being sold or all? "Dispersal" would lead to think its only surplus

Reduction Would mean not all being sold. Dispersal or clearance I assume means them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Similar event happened myself, Bought a PB limousin at a dispersal sale, turned out not to be a dispersal sale after only a reduction sale as they were back breeding again the following year. The heifer, she was as quite as a lamb, the owners son walking her about under a halter. She turned out to be stone mad, jumped the gate of the crush twice, used to set all the other cattle off too. You couldn't even look into the field and she'd have the head up in the air ready to gallop.

I found out after about the use of the horse calming paste by some of these breeders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

But what’s her breeding, is it coming from her blood line.

But did you buy them on looks or on the blood line breeding, most buy on looks and never look at the proven pedigree,

• Advertisement

It’s amazing how many calves get lost in the rushes for weeks or months, seen bull weanlings in the mart 3 weeks ago at 450kgs at 6 to 7 months old, the big problem with the pedigree game is the ET work is being done on animals with no proven record and on maiden heifers, some lads dispersing have a tank full of embryos to start again. There was a sheep breeder in England who had 3 dispersal sales over his life time.

Ya, she's by Norman Inventor who is poor for docility. I was wary of her heifers when I calved them down, but they were complete pets.

Scummy act that to buck a working man. Blackening your name isn’t worth the few quid like what do they really do with it. I’m not hard up for the luckpenny but it’s not about the amount. When I bought a ch bull a year later the man fired a €50 note into my pocket and it got our dinner. Even €20 for the 5 heifers woulda been the classy thing to do.

I was at a farm walk recently where the man doing it bought a bull off the same man. He had shockin praise for him but I couldn’t get it out of him if he got a luckpenny. He talked about flighty cattle too. I tell anyone I talk to not to go near Meath for a bull I was that sickened by the whole thing. Psychos. I know I have to accept a large amount of the blame myself sure I saw them in the yard. Anyhow, they’re gone now and I’ll not be heading back to dispersal sales to get made a cod of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭Grueller

Isn't it mad though when you do buy crap and you say it to someone and they say oh they're a gangster dont buy off them. Why didn't you tell me sooner....

At a Limousin sale recently and the guy beside me asked me did I know a certain breeder across the way. He said he was only a B***x. I laughed as it was the 3rd person that said it to me about him. He had a dispersal sale too.😎

actually bought bulls off 2 Meath men. Other fella is a gentleman still be in contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@squinn2912 don't be giving out about us Meath lads we ain't all bad.. but there is some right fly by night lads involved in the purebred game... I think the big fancy in calf heifers is the new gimmick for these lads...

Advertisement