Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading PC - Best value for money

Options
  • 18-08-2020 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I built my own PC about 6 years ago, mostly for casual usage, small bit of gaming (but didn't end up doing too much on it). Could do with upgrading the PC though as I'm going to be using it more for working from home, and wouldn't mind being able to run some more modern games on it (but general performance of the PC is main priority).

The current build:
    - Intel i5 4460 Quad Core CPU (3.20GHz, 6MB Cache, 84W, Graphics, Turbo Boost Technology, Socket 1150)
    - Crucial Ballistix BLS2C4G3D169DS3CEU Sport XT 8GB (4GBx 2) 240 Pin DIMM DDR3 PC3-12800 Memory Module
    - ASRock Mod 1150 H97M Motherboard
    - Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 270X OC 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card with Boost
    - WD 1TB 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue
    - EVGA Supernova 650W G1 Gold Modular Power Supply Unit for PC
    - Cooler Master NSE-200-KKN1 N-Series N200 USB 3.0 Micro-ATX Case

Obviously adding an SSD will be the first port of call, but should I be looking at replacing the CPU too (and/or motherboard)? And how out of date would the graphics card be at this stage? Just trying to find out what the real bottleneck will be.

Would be willing to spend maybe €300 if needed (or a little over) but only if it's going to make a noticeable difference to my untrained eyes.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

You should be able to get a 500Gb SSD & GTX 1660 Super for 300.
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCYgp8

The GPU is ~269% faster by TPU charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You should be able to get a 500Gb SSD & GTX 1660 Super for 300.
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/NCYgp8

The GPU is ~269% faster by TPU charts.

Thanks. Would it be worth upgrading the PC RAM to 16GB and going with a cheaper GPU or would upgrading the RAM be kinda redundant (or rather not worth upgrading) if going with an SSD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

Bit of crazy advice from the last poster Koki there pairing a 1660 super with an I5 4460.

I acutally had the same CPU and upgraded to a Xeon I got for 65 euro off ebay.
    Ensure the one you get though is the four core and eight threads and not the four core and four threads version. The CPU is going to be a bottleneck for a lot of new games.

Cex is also a good place if you want to buy ram. Just make sure the timings are identical to the current ram you have. I would upgrade the Ram to 16GB as games are starting to hit a bottle neck with 8GB. Depending on the speed of your ram you can get another 2*4GB sticks for 25 euro of Cex.

You also don't really need a 512GB SSD. Get a 256GB SSD for 30 euro or get the 512 GB for 50 euro. You'll probably be installing most of the games on the hard drive anyway.

SO for CPU Ram and SSD it should cost you around 120 euro. This leaves 180 euro for the graphics card. I'd have a look at the GTX 1660 or maybe go second hand.

If I was to get a new CPU, do I need to be concerned about compatibility with the motherboard? I can't seem to find it listed on PCpartpicker (I'm presuming because of its age).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 regulators

Penn wrote: »
    If I was to get a new CPU, do I need to be concerned about compatibility with the motherboard? I can't seem to find it listed on PCpartpicker (I'm presuming because of its age).

So the processor you have is 1150 socket and needs a 1150 motherboard.

If you were getting a new up to date processor you would need a new motherboard and also new DDR4 Ram.

regulators wrote: »
    So the processor you have is 1150 socket and needs a 1150 motherboard.

If you were getting a new up to date processor you would need a new motherboard and also new DDR4 Ram.

That's partially what I was afraid of. Haven't upgraded any part of the PC since it was built so it's the knock-on effect of replacing most of the core components for compatibility and avoiding bottlenecks. At the same time, if a job's worth doing it's worth doing right.

Alright forgetting about the SSD (as I've already ordered one), say the budget is €500-600 (with parts from Amazon or similar, not second hand), what could I go with? I presume I need new motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card. Bearing in mind again I won't be doing any hugely significant gaming on it or pushing for super high fidelity or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Ask for contact details for family in case of emergency.

Ask for contact details for family in case of emergency.

Okay. When people are giving me their suggestions, can you also give me the contact details for your family?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Penn wrote: »
    That's partially what I was afraid of. Haven't upgraded any part of the PC since it was built so it's the knock-on effect of replacing most of the core components for compatibility and avoiding bottlenecks. At the same time, if a job's worth doing it's worth doing right.

Alright forgetting about the SSD (as I've already ordered one), say the budget is €500-600 (with parts from Amazon or similar, not second hand), what could I go with? I presume I need new motherboard, CPU, RAM and graphics card. Bearing in mind again I won't be doing any hugely significant gaming on it or pushing for super high fidelity or anything.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 is ridiculous value for money at about 150 quid. Dont bother with the 3600x, no noticeable difference.
    GPU: 1660 will be grand if you arent that bothered with super high end gaming
    Mobo: A b450 of some sort if you are more worried about price than future proofing. X570 if you are
    RAM: Whatever the cheapest 3200 DDR4 you can find. Corsair vengeance or Ballistix or whatever, any decent brand.

Reckon that would come in somewhere near the 600 mark

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Update GPU add new memory back up everything and put fresh install of windows on SSD or nvme drive some one on YouTube did a video of how to take off avg antivirus as it was a customer he took it off one piece at a time
    It took 3 hours the computer was using 100 drive and 90 percent memory he said if it was his he would wipe the drive and reload. In 20 minutes

I upgraded the ssd over the weekend and computer is definitely faster. I think everything else is going to have to wait though, and then I'll do a proper job of it.

Thanks for all advice given, folks. I'll likely be back when I am ready to upgrade further for more up-to-date advice.

Advertisement