Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Outlook 2016 remember words with accents?

Options
  • 18-08-2020 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

Windows x64

For example:

The word Róisín is listed in Outlook's dictionary, because I saved it there.

But, if I type Roisin in an email, that is what I get; the name without the accents.

I can only assume that Outlook's dictionary has the incorrect spelling of the name too and defaults to it.

How can I make Outlook default to the correct spelling of words I have added to its dictionary?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Havent you asked this/similar and i answered before......
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109896100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

You know I have a head like a sieve!

Pity it can't auto-correct a word after you've typed it, if what you've typed can never be correct. E.g. Roisin is always Róisín.

Anyway, thanks again.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Pity it can't auto-correct a word after you've typed it, if what you've typed can never be correct. E.g. Roisin is always Róisín.
    As per previous thread, Ctrl+Z to undo auto-correction

Machine is machine, program is program, not mind reading magician.
    How would it know witch "version" you prefer in that particular moment... :eek:
    If you type Irish then use Irish keyboard with proper keymaping, set spelling to Irish.
    Once you start mixing languages/spellings be ready for inconveniences or prepare your tools to serve the best it can.

You not typing Róisín and Roisin in one letter 200 times interchangeably, do you? :D

It’s not a case of knowing which particular version I might want. There is no such spelling as Roisin (oddly enough, the Boards.ie type automatically corrects it to Róisín)

It should be possible to set Word/Outlook so that when I type Roisin, it automatically becomes Róisín, as it does here, or the squiggly red line appears under the incorrect spelling, and I could right click and correct.

The correct spelling has been added to Word’s dictionary. It should then be possible to get eliminate any use of the incorrect spelling.

Boards.ie beats Outlook in this occasion.

D.

• Advertisement

It’s not a case of knowing which particular version I might want. There is no such spelling as Roisin (oddly enough, the Boards.ie type automatically corrects it to Róisín)

It should be possible to set Word/Outlook so that when I type Roisin, it automatically becomes Róisín, as it does here, or the squiggly red line appears under the incorrect spelling, and I could right click and correct.

The correct spelling has been added to Word’s dictionary. It should then be possible to get eliminate any use of the incorrect spelling.

Boards.ie beats Outlook in this occasion.

D.

Its not about boards vs MS, its about you and preferences you have chosen.
    Furthermore its not boards, they wont give rat's arse about what you type(except prohibited), but your browser.

1. What proofing language you set?
    2. Providing both versions, Roisin and Róisín are in Word/Outlook dictionary(by language selected) it'll take any you type in and wont notify/nag

Adjust your tools the way you need it to work.

I’m typing these responses on an iPhone/Safari, so I presume then that that is what is correcting Róisín, any time I type it. So, I guess it’s Apple v MSFT, and not Boards vs MSFT. Bully for Apple.

I guess if I could remove the incorrect spelling from the Word/Outlook dictionary (it must be in the main dictionary, coz it’s not in the additional words one, only Róisín is there) it might fix it.

No big deal, but could do better with dealing with non-English words being used in English text.

D.

There is no such spelling as Roisin
    Apparently there is, but this discussion would be for different forum and i am not subscriber there...

Hah!

For the purposes of finding the entry, Wiki misspells the name and then correctly spells it in all normal usage examples.

Proves my point.

And my point about how MSFT handles foreign spellings brought into its dictionaries.

Thanks for your help.

D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think you might want to look at the end of suggested the list. You're getting Roisin as a valid match because it's a placename.

• Advertisement

I think you might want to look at the end of suggested the list. You're getting Roisin as a valid match because it's a placename.

Correct.

Though I'm guessing the word is viewed as Flemish or French - probably French, being in the municipality of Honnelles - and not a word they borrowed from Irish or English to name their town.

D.

Getting sidetracked here...

You think you could get MS to create custom dictionary for yourself :D
    Go ahead and ask them

523447.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I would have suggested editing your autocorrect list too. Have you done this?

Enough, enough, I confess....I did it!!! :P

Thanks.

D.

Ps. File > Options > Mail > Editor Options > Proofing > Auto-Correct Options, and filling in the two "Replace Text as You Type" boxes does exactly what I was after.

Advertisement