Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein Omerta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Well if he values his kneecaps, then it was the correct course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Par for the course. Anyone who thinks that Sinn Féin and the IRA aren't still joined at the hip, is an idiot.

It's well known that if you need to "confer" with any part of the IRA, you have a chat with a local Sinn Féin TD who can arrange it.

I expect in this case, the witness needed to know what he was and wasn't allowed to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

seamus wrote: »
    Par for the course. Anyone who thinks that Sinn Féin and the IRA aren't still joined at the hip, is an idiot.

It's well known that if you need to "confer" with any part of the IRA, you have a chat with a local Sinn Féin TD who can arrange it.

I expect in this case, the witness needed to know what he was and wasn't allowed to say.

Probably checking whether the criminal was in good standing with Sinn Fein or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭enricoh

Organise a protest March in crossmaglen Paddy , sod internet outage -
    let us know how you get on and that you haven't gone missing!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It really makes you cringe when you see them looking for reform of the Special Criminal Court in one breath and then standing plain face in Dáil Eireann throwing mud at honest politicians trying to run the country. The worst is that people are voting for these scumbags as a viable alternative, voters are lapping up their tripe, scary enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Of course it is, a pure solid disgrace and these animals should be dragged out of government buildings by the head of hair. But what do we expect at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

blanch152 wrote: »
    Probably checking whether the criminal was in good standing with Sinn Fein or not.

‘Is that our diesel washing operation’?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Augme

It really highlights how awful FF/G are when Sinn Fein are viewed as the best alternative. Maybe if they didn't consistently make such a mess of things so often this wouldn'tt be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Might be a while before the resident shinners post here. They probably need to check in with HQ for the party line .

Might be a while before the resident shinners post here. They probably need to check in with HQ for the party line .

How could these lowlifes ever be allowed hold the justice portfolio in government?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Are they not, currently, “under orders” to step back from “engaging”, P?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Are they not, currently, “under orders” to step back from “engaging”, P?

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1294938686933655553?s=21

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

The are not a normal political party.

It was amazing the vote they got in the last general election and to me they are a frightening prospect in any future government.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nothing to see here!

Mary Lou for Chief of Sta...I mean Taoiseach!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It really makes you cringe when you see them looking for reform of the Special Criminal Court in one breath and then standing plain face in Dáil Eireann throwing mud at honest politicians trying to run the country. The worst is that people are voting for these scumbags as a viable alternative, voters are lapping up their tripe, scary enough.

This always makes me smile.

The whole reason the special criminal court was set up is to help stop jury tampering. They handle organised crime and terrorist cases specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

no - though I admit, this whole thing is a bit weird. Im a member of SF and I would never think of asking SF anything before going to the gards so it puzzles me why yer man thought he should

• Registered Users Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

maccored wrote: »
    no - though I admit, this whole thing is a bit weird. Im a member of SF and I would never think of asking SF anything before going to the gards so it puzzles me why yer man thought he should

Either way, he must have been a, fairly, low level “grunt” for them to give the go ahead to send him down.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Either way, he must have been a, fairly, low level “grunt” for them to give the go ahead to send him down.

What’s going to be the more interesting story is who the TD contacted for advice on the matter.

maccored wrote: »

I hope you got permission from the Ard Comhairle before posting here?

I would hate to see members dragging the parties' good name and reputation through the dirt, not fair on upstanding members who haven't a rashers what they're really voting for?

Ducky air law etc etc , up the republic and all that yeh?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,175 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Honest politicians'? :D

Every tribunal, inquiry and investigation (and we have had many many many of them) that ever was, seen politicians hiding behind barristers, points of law and their respective party lines.
    A FG minister gets found to have taken bribes...what happens...'ah sure, take a back seat there and if we need you to keep us in power we'll give you a shout.

Don't make me laugh here.

Here is what happened with the Brady case...SF say they will do anything necessary to get justice for the family. A nervous witness comes forward and SF hand Gardai the 'break' they need in the case. Am I missing anything?

• Advertisement

'Honest politicians'? :D

Every tribunal, inquiry and investigation (and we have had many many many of them) that ever was, seen politicians hiding behind barristers, points of law and their respective party lines.
    A FG minister gets found to have taken bribes...what happens...'ah sure, take a back seat there and if we need you to keep us in power we'll give you a shout.

Don't make me laugh here.

Here is what happened with the Brady case...SF say they will do anything necessary to get justice for the family. A nervous witness comes forward and SF hand Gardai the 'break' they need in the case. Am I missing anything?

Kangaroo Courts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

So a member goes to a local rep and says he knows something. Local rep puts member in touch with the Gardaí. Member then gets cold feet and says he is not sure if he should talk to police about it and wants to talk to senior SF party. SF TD then tells the member to go to the Gardai and give a statement which he does, and statement proves instrumental in the investigation.

So at all stages SF tell member to voluntarily cooperate with the Gardai and in fact encourage him to do so and support him in doing it.

Was this not the right and proper thing to do?

Tbh I can understand a person not wanting to give a statement given the intimidation and threats that went on. I would also not be pleased to see all the media reports about my statement when the other criminals are still at large!

If the SF member was a long-standing one of the older generation I can understand his wariness of speaking to the Garda given the carry on the Gardai got up to in Dundalk historically. So he asked for support and advice from his friends and it was given.

This is a positive and shows how SF have changed - 30 years ago they would have told him to have no dealings with the police whatsoever.

Kangaroo Courts?

It's hard to turn a blind eye to what actually happened here isn't it. Having to resort to that kind of comment.

So a member goes to a local rep and says he knows something. Local rep puts member in touch with the Gardaí. Member then gets cold feet and says he is not sure if he should talk to police about it and wants to talk to senior SF party. SF TD then tells the member to go to the Gardai and give a statement which he does, and statement proves instrumental in the investigation.

So at all stages SF tell member to voluntarily cooperate with the Gardai and in fact encourage him to do so and support him in doing it.

Was this not the right and proper thing to do?

Tbh I can understand a person not wanting to give a statement given the intimidation and threats that went on. I would also not be pleased to see all the media reports about my statement when the other criminals are still at large!

If the SF member was a long-standing one of the older generation I can understand his wariness of speaking to the Garda given the carry on the Gardai got up to in Dundalk historically. So he asked for support and advice from his friends and it was given.

This is a positive and shows how SF have changed - 30 years ago they would have told him to have no dealings with the police whatsoever.

Has to be asked, is it right that a senior Gardai can release information like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Its says it all when a Garda is murdered and a witness has to go to a political party to make sure the murderer isn't a "Good Republican." At the end of the day that's the only logical reason behind this.

Again I say not a normal political party .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

piplip87 wrote: »
    Its says it all when a Garda is murdered and a witness has to go to a political party to make sure the murderer isn't a "Good Republican." At the end of the day that's the only logical reason behind this.

If I was privy to information that could jail one member of a large murderous gang I would seek advice from people I trust before giving a statement to the Gardai.

It's hard to turn a blind eye to what actually happened here isn't it. Having to resort to that kind of comment.

As opposed to having to get the all clear from your local army council before speaking to the cops about an armed robbery, or getting raped by your uncle?

piplip87 wrote: »

Or a simpler explanation is that we don't live in a normal society where a majority trust the security forces on either side.

Would you have full trust in a police force that would leak info like this in the middle of an ongoing investigation? Would it encourage more witnesses to come forward or discourage them do you think?

As opposed to having to get the all clear from your local army council before speaking to the cops about an armed robbery, or getting raped by your uncle?

What actually happened again:

A nervous witness (we don't know the nature of his reticence BTW) approaches an elected SF councillor and the councillor contacts the Gardai in Feb 2017.

The garda subsequently leaks the information to the media who attempt to embarrass the party politically (an ongoing campaign since the election and before) which is the only reasonable explanation as to why a garda would release this in the middle of an investigation. It certainly wasn't to encourage more witnesses to come forward anyhow.

Again...am I missing anything about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,735 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Has to be asked, is it right that a senior Gardai can release information like this.

Maybe the Garda should have checked with the local SF representative first.

Advertisement