Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein Omerta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Ah yes, kind of handy to cast aspersions on former members who put it up to the army council and their Kangaroo Court. Especially since she is member of the SDLP now?

Poor women can't even publish her home address for fear of reprisals from former IRA members, sure you may as well accuse her of being a dissident while you are at it. Not to mention blaming Taoisígh agus Tánaiste as a smear tool. One thing is for certain, Sinn Féin are comfortable with smear campaigns, they got form

It is not "casting aspersions" nor is it a "smear campaign" to state a well known fact(s) that Maira Cahill was indeed a dissident republican, and that Joan Burton backed by Enda Kenny placed her into the Seanad.

Mairia Cahill 'deeply regrets and is deeply sorry' for dissident involvement

Do you the meaning of the word "smear" and if so, do you understand it?

Were you not aware of this? Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ah yes, kind of handy to cast aspersions on former members who put it up to the army council and their Kangaroo Court. Especially since she is member of the SDLP now?

Poor women can't even publish her home address for fear of reprisals from former IRA members, sure you may as well accuse her of being a dissident while you are at it. Not to mention blaming Taoisígh agus Tánaiste as a smear tool. One thing is for certain, Sinn Féin are comfortable with smear campaigns, they got form

You equated dissidents in their various guises with the stood down IRA. Then it was pointed out an actual dissident was given a Seanad seat by Lab/FG.
    So it seems those two parties have little to no issue with the kind of people campaigned against the GFA and still engage in violence. Whereas SF engaged fully in the peace process and signed up to the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Bowie wrote: »
    The north has more equality because of both SF and the IRA IMO.

Any place that gets reduced to rubble has more equality, because people have little or nothing. Pretty much sums up the equality that SF and the IRA have brought to the North through their economy-destroying terrorist campaign.

McMurphy wrote: »
    It is not "casting aspersions" nor is it a "smear campaign" to state a well known fact(s) that Maira Cahill was indeed a dissident republican, and that Joan Burton backed by Enda Kenny placed her into the Seanad.

Mairia Cahill 'deeply regrets and is deeply sorry' for dissident involvement

Do you the meaning of the word "smear" and if so, do you understand it?

Were you not aware of this? Jesus wept.

I think her involvement with dissidents lasted about six to eight weeks, at a time when she was a vulnerable young woman traumatised by the way that Gerry Adams and his senior people treated her, yet it is used repeatedly by lowlife Shinnerbots on Twitter to smear her.

It is an accusation I would expect people with decency to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

Another mention of SF and people crawl out of the wood work 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Jaysus the FFG fan boys are out in force.

The same c*nts would never have the balls to cross the border and help their fellow country men when they were being persecuted. They'd rather sit in their bedrooms having a wee tug over their Maggie Tatcher pictures and then go online and blame SF for everything that is wrong in the world.

The catalyst for a lot of people joining the IRA (including members of my own family) was what happened in Derry on Bloody Sunday and if you can't get your head around that you're as thick as ****.

It was an terrible bloody conflict which could've been stopped at anytime if there was a willingness by the British government to engage with people they were treating as second class citizens instead of playing both sides against each other via their murky security forces. Having spoken personally to people form the loyalist community they now feel the way Catholics felt in the late 60's / early 70's and most of them lost faith when David Irvine died and nobody stepped up to the mark.

You can pick holes in everything any political party does but ultimately it's up to the electorate to hold them account and not keyboard warriors on message boards. There's a lot of stuff SF do I disagree with but at least they are willing to put themselves up to the electorate across the island and if FFG had any balls they'd do the same and run candidates as an alternative to SF in the north.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think her involvement with dissidents lasted about six to eight weeks, at a time when she was a vulnerable young woman traumatised by the way that Gerry Adams and his senior people treated her, yet it is used repeatedly by lowlife Shinnerbots on Twitter to smear her.

That's a great excuse - I'm sure any budding dissident republican who aspires to take up arms can tell the judge " ah your honour, I was only a dissident for a ween of weeks" when caught.

An "accusation" she admitted and apologized for lol.

Obviously you put as much thought into that post as iamamoran did before hitting submit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

onh81 wrote: »
    Here’s hoping the WiFi in whatever bedsit you’re currently resident in fails because that’s the biggest pile of irrelevant nonsense I’ve read; that is really something by boards standards.

Yes , cause you know I will find a way of blaming my WIFI coverage or my poor standard of living on

The Gubberment
    The Brits
    The Loyalists
    The Dissidents
    The Taoiseach
    The Property Cabal
    Fianna Fáil
    Fine Gael
    Maggie Thatcher
    Free State collusion
    The Water Charges
    etc etc

Everyone else's fault a young fella barely in his 20's got dragged into a barn and beaten to death over a bit of green diesel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 onh81

Yes , cause you know I will find a way of blaming my WIFI coverage or my poor standard of living on

The Gubberment
    The Brits
    The Loyalists
    The Dissidents
    The Taoiseach
    The Property Cabal
    Fianna Fáil
    Fine Gael
    Maggie Thatcher
    Free State collusion
    The Water Charges
    etc etc

Everyone else's fault a young fella barely in his 20's got dragged into a barn and beaten to death over a bit of green diesel?
    You’re clearly incoherent with rage. Relax, have a cup tea and come back when you’re going to actually make a structured argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That's a great excuse - I'm sure any budding dissident republican who aspires to take up arms can tell the judge " ah your honour, I was only a dissident for a ween of weeks" when caught.

Obviously you put as much thought into that post as iamamoran did before hitting submit.

Could be a Staycation idea in that...'join the Dissidents for a few weeks...a no consequences holiday'. :)

• Advertisement

Could be a Staycation idea in that...'join the Dissidents for a few weeks...a no consequences holiday'. :)

It's like something straight outta the Lionel Hutz school of defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Unrepentant Republican here. I’m not a pacifist either as so many on here seemingly are, so I’m definitely in the minority on this thread. Do I think violence was wrong? Not necessarily. Do I condemn IRA violence? Yes and no. Some of it was needless, some of it was cruel, some of it was blatantly sectarian. Some of it was also excellently executed military operations.

I suppose to have such a blasé attitude you have to experience first-hand rather than just read in the Irish Times like so many on here. You can tell straight away the posters who know what it’s like to live in the conditions that allowed such a conflict to rage on and then those who simply look at everything in black and white and get their info from the Irish Times and RTÉ.

Did the IRA cause the most misery? Well, no, for me growing up, it wasn’t the IRA I feared. Yes there was always the possibility of bombings but the real fear was Loyalists who unceremoniously murdered civilians for fun. They even handed out awards for the best shooters (see Topgun McKeag). Statistically, those who suffered most during the Troubles were Catholic civilians. That isn’t propaganda, that’s fact.

I have to say though gangland animals and retards, that’s a new one. Hats off.

Well credit for honesty if nothing else. Other than that I have no idea how to respond. Its just not OK to murder and mutilate other people and I cannot begin to know how to address someone who is so invested in glorifying "military operations". I get that the Protestant majority behaved appallingly in 68 and 69 and I get that Loyalist thugs carried out the same savagery as the IRA. The solution was not more savagery. The 30 years of murder achieved nothing bar the release of killers and thugs on both sides to swagger about their estates plus a few trips for Gerry Adams to the States. After it all we are back to consent and once the Catholics outbreed the Prods they can vote for an United Ireland etc. What was it all for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Any place that gets reduced to rubble has more equality, because people have little or nothing. Pretty much sums up the equality that SF and the IRA have brought to the North through their economy-destroying terrorist campaign.

im pretty sure it was the ****e onesided way the brits ran the place that was the issue

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Jaysus the FFG fan boys are out in force.

The same c*nts would never have the balls to cross the border and help their fellow country men when they were being persecuted. They'd rather sit in their bedrooms having a wee tug over their Maggie Tatcher pictures and then go online and blame SF for everything that is wrong in the world.

The catalyst for a lot of people joining the IRA (including members of my own family) was what happened in Derry on Bloody Sunday and if you can't get your head around that you're as thick as ****.

It was an terrible bloody conflict which could've been stopped at anytime if there was a willingness by the British government to engage with people they were treating as second class citizens instead of playing both sides against each other via their murky security forces. Having spoken personally to people form the loyalist community they now feel the way Catholics felt in the late 60's / early 70's and most of them lost faith when David Irvine died and nobody stepped up to the mark.

You can pick holes in everything any political party does but ultimately it's up to the electorate to hold them account and not keyboard warriors on message boards. There's a lot of stuff SF do I disagree with but at least they are willing to put themselves up to the electorate across the island and if FFG had any balls they'd do the same and run candidates as an alternative to SF in the north.

Happen to know quite a few people from Derry - met Paul Brady through them - and funnily enough, none of them joined the IRA. A few had to leave Derry, forced out by fellow Catholics, so not buying the excuses.

Happen to know quite a few people from Derry - met Paul Brady through them - and funnily enough, none of them joined the IRA. A few had to leave Derry, forced out by fellow Catholics, so not buying the excuses.

You know someone from Derry therefore you know everything there is to know. There's your problem .....

What does that mean?

Not everyone went to war in 1914..not everyone was in the GPO, not everyone blah blah blah.

People are complex, they will react in different ways.

Forced out of Derry why?

Going back to the link you provided because I am sure you have forgotten it by now, here it is:

https://www.thejournal.ie/mairia-cahill-dissidents-2440794-Nov2015/

In it Mairia Cahill says

"Cahill said she joined the organisation in 2010 having been at a “very difficult point in my life” when “every aspect” of her abuse came back to her having watched a documentary about the abuse of Aine Adams.

Cahill said her life “went into a spiral”, describing joining the RNU as “completely the wrong thing to do”. She discussed how she had been suicidal and self-harmed."

"On her brief spell as the organisation’s national secretary, Cahill explained that she had no prior notice that her name was being proposed for the position.

After she was voted in she decided “two or three hours later” that she didn’t want it and said being pregnant at the time was among the reasons why she refused the post"

"Cahill said she would no longer considered herself a republican and that the national question does not have “much relevance on the ground” at the moment. She also said she did not accept the legitimacy of the armed struggle in the North."

I have consistently said on here that if the likes of Gerry Adams and the rest of Sinn Fein confessed as to the real reasons why they joined the IRA, set out the history of their involvement in the "republican movement" and repented for the actions of the IRA, then that would be a start. Mairia Cahill has done the equivalent in respect of her involvement in the dissident movement, and I and others have accepted that at face value. Over to Gerry and the lads to do the same.

What does that mean?

Not everyone went to war in 1914..not everyone was in the GPO, not everyone blah blah blah.

People are complex, they will react in different ways.

It means that the previous poster was wrong when he spoke of a lot of people joining the IRA. It wasn't a lot of people joining the IRA, it was a tiny minority of mostly sociopaths.

maccored wrote: »
    You know someone from Derry therefore you know everything there is to know. There's your problem .....

Wonderful meaningless riposte.

Forced out of Derry why?

It was a long time ago, before Sinn Fein adopted the fake veneer of political correctness.

• Advertisement

Going back to the link you provided because I am sure you have forgotten it by now, here it is:

In it Mairia Cahill says

"Cahill said she joined the organisation in 2010 having been at a “very difficult point in my life” when “every aspect” of her abuse came back to her having watched a documentary about the abuse of Aine Adams.

Cahill said her life “went into a spiral”, describing joining the RNU as “completely the wrong thing to do”. She discussed how she had been suicidal and self-harmed."

"On her brief spell as the organisation’s national secretary, Cahill explained that she had no prior notice that her name was being proposed for the position.

After she was voted in she decided “two or three hours later” that she didn’t want it and said being pregnant at the time was among the reasons why she refused the post"

"Cahill said she would no longer considered herself a republican and that the national question does not have “much relevance on the ground” at the moment. She also said she did not accept the legitimacy of the armed struggle in the North."

I have consistently said on here that if the likes of Gerry Adams and the rest of Sinn Fein confessed as to the real reasons why they joined the IRA, set out the history of their involvement in the "republican movement" and repented for the actions of the IRA, then that would be a start. Mairia Cahill has done the equivalent in respect of her involvement in the dissident movement, and I and others have accepted that at face value. Over to Gerry and the lads to do the same.

repent that unfortunately people had to take to arms to get civil rights?

Why should SF repent?

Have FG repented for Collins?

enough with the double standards. Northern nationalists have had enough of that kind of bull****

It was a long time ago, before Sinn Fein adopted the fake veneer of political correctness.

making it up as you go along in other words

Wonderful meaningless riposte.

it is. its the same about your theory you know all about the north because you knew someone from there.

it is. its the same about your theory you know all about the north because you knew someone from there.

The thing is, I never said that I know all about the north because I knew someone from there. As usual, you are making up stuff to fit your warped worldview.

In it Mairia Cahill says

This is gas. What do you 'suspect' their real reasons were?

The thing is, I never said that I know all about the north because I knew someone from there. As usual, you are making up stuff to fit your warped worldview.

you have done in the past blanch152. Ive already had that argument with you so please, dont be pretending.

This is gas. What do you 'suspect' their real reasons were?

You have spoken in the past of Gerry Adams troubled family past and hinted at his father being the reason for that in your defence of his handling of child abuse allegations. Several people on here, including myself, have spoken of the chilling nature of the man, his lack of empathy, his soullessness. Take it all together and it is easy to add up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I feel the topic by the op (Aaron Brady) has no real relevance and was set up as just another Shinner bashing thread

mentioned in court and was a huge factor in people not giving evidence who might have .

but that's not relevant ? a poor effort at deflection very poor but its the party line I guess

What's Brady got to do wit it? Is this to give these lads some aura of respect or something?

Brady was from Strabane btw, never lived in Derry that I know of.

• Advertisement

you have done in the past blanch152. Ive already had that argument with you so please, dont be pretending.

I have worked in the North, I have travelled in the North, I am friends with people from the North, I have had friends with businesses in the North, I have followed Northern politics for a long time, that is enough for me to be able to hold an informed opinion on the North.

Advertisement