Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein Omerta

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

SF's angle is that a Detective Inspector went to Adams for help.

If true that is pretty seismic really. The Adams did help and reassured the witness and he testified and gave the Gardai the break in the case.

It's odd, if true, that the witness contacted SF at all, never mind why.
    The 'disgraceful' element, as the OP put it, for me is that this made a top story and that once again the Garda are leaking stories with a political angle.
    As you say the story could have been given a positive spin for SF however the matter of it being leaked remains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Bowie wrote: »
    I don't see how your dislike of ethnic minorities plays into this.

Can you not read chief or are you just making up ****e?

Throw as much mud as you like. I have no dislike of any ethnic minorities.

You are the person spoofing about the mafia, the IRA and schoolkids in the same sentence. Anything to clear the party " name ".

Shows what an undemocratic shambles Sinn Féin really are when they have to resort to shaming everything else to counteract their own litany of unending mire. Their members cannot even have an honest conversation or discussion.

You must get tired, do they not give you a holiday at all?

IAMAMORON wrote: »

You are the person spoofing about the mafia, the IRA and schoolkids in the same sentence. Anything to clear the party " name ".

Shows what an undemocratic shambles Sinn Féin really are when they have to resort to shaming everything else to counteract their own litany of unending mire. Their members cannot even have an honest conversation or discussion.

You didn't comprehend my easy to read comment even upon quoting it.

Now you're off on a rant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If the IRA-SF were in power, would they appoint a Minister for Truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It was the Gardai who leaked this info in the middle of an ongoing case when they are actively looking for witnesses to come forward. Why? To try to shame SF.

• Advertisement

It was the Gardai who leaked this info in the middle of an ongoing case when they are actively looking for witnesses to come forward. Why? To try to shame SF.

I know.... it is so unfair, I wish the cops would play by the rules more, bastards aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Weren't you pretending to not be a SF supporter for years on here?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I know.... it is so unfair, I wish the cops would play by the rules more, bastards aren't they?

Cop out answer as usual...excuse the pun and all that.

So you have assumed it was 'permission' and not 'reassurance'.

Excellent.

because thats what it was. You can claim 'reasurrance' if you mean 'Reassurance that the party and its hidden friends wouldnt kneecap him as a result'. If thats what you mean then yeah, reassurance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Does the Garda leaking this give Brady grounds for appeal?

• Advertisement

Does the Garda leaking this give Brady grounds for appeal?

no. He can only appeal under certain circumstances. The case if over, people can speak about it

I've no idea what the situation is with any party. We don't know he was made to. I would suggest you are free to do so should you wish.
    You can call your Granny or pal too I'd imagine. It's not something I would do. Likely I'd contact friend or family myself. It's unlikely people wouldn't talk to anybody.
    If SF are found to have obstructed justice those responsible should be held to account.
    Here we have another case of the finer details of a case being leaked. I don't recall any stories about who a witness did or did not contact before speaking with the police. Accused folk, yes. This reads like the Times trying to link SF to the murder, even though the chap was a witness against. It's of little consequence. This kind of spin is tired and dried up. The lads will get a few hours of japes before we get back to the troubles etc.

that shrug of the shoulders and vague "I dunno" doesnt really work when you just stated;
    You'll find many senior or long time political party affiliates will touch base with HQ before possibly involving the party name in something or even looking for legal advice.

So either you know or you dont and your original comment is suggesting you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I hope you got permission from the Ard Comhairle before posting here?

I would hate to see members dragging the parties' good name and reputation through the dirt, not fair on upstanding members who haven't a rashers what they're really voting for?

Ducky air law etc etc , up the republic and all that yeh?

Just to clarify - you are telling me I needed permission to post something?

Thats what you are saying, yes?

I can categorically tell you yer talking bollocks. Or else you think you are hilarious (that didnt work either Im afraid)

because thats what it was. You can claim 'reasurrance' if you mean 'Reassurance that the party and its hidden friends wouldnt kneecap him as a result'. If thats what you mean then yeah, reassurance

Or reassurance that the Gardai could be trusted.
    The 'Gardai' who were handed this witness by a SF rep, the Gardai who apparently turned to Adams for help. If you believe that Adams at the time was the head of a Mafia like organisation of crims....you know what that means don't you?

no. He can only appeal under certain circumstances. The case if over, people can speak about it

I just read the article in the link, evidence wasn't used anyway , my reading was that because the witness was a member of SF he thought this would be an issue for the Gardai not SF .

that shrug of the shoulders and vague "I dunno" doesnt really work when you just stated;

It does horse. I said I don't know if party members of any party are forced to get in touch with HQ for such matters. And I don't.

I also said, "You'll find many senior or long time political party affiliates will touch base with HQ before possibly involving the party name in something or even looking for legal advice."

I don't see what's confusing you.
    So either you know or you dont and your original comment is suggesting you know.

See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Ush1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go to a politician about a crime I witnessed so I can't answer that.

Do you think it's right that people are effectively vetting information through politicians(who you said aren't trustworthy anyway) than to AGS?
    No it isn't right.
    Lots of things about a post conflict/war society are not right.

The fact is that large parts of communities that went through the conflict/war still do not trust the gardai.
    Many in what is considered normal society do not trust the Gardai and frankly, this further evidence of leaking info for political purposes is very concerning to me. How many times does it need to happen until people ask questions?
    You want us to believe the witness went to SF to ask them if he/she could trust the Gardai?

Good try, Francie.

rdwight wrote: »
    You want us to believe the witness went to SF to ask them if he/she could trust the Gardai?

Good try, Francie.

if you read the link the SF councillor approached the guard about the witness, there seemed to be some reticence with the Gardai in accepting the witness because he was a member of SF, in the end the evidence wasn't used anyway

rdwight wrote: »

Good try, Francie.

Well how else did it play out.
    Witness goes to SF rep who in Feb 2017 goes to the Gardai immediately and tells them of his existence thus 'giving Gardai a break in the case' (according to Irish Times).

Detective Inspector asks Adams to help convince the witness. Witness gives evidence.

Is it credible that the DI asked Adams to give a witness permission to give evidence? A witness that SF told the gardai about in the first place?
    :):)

Spin that one, as they say.

Well how else did it play out.
    Witness goes to SF rep who in Feb 2017 goes to the Gardai immediately and tells them of his existence thus 'giving Gardai a break in the case' (according to Irish Times).

Detective Inspector asks Adams to help convince the witness. Witness gives evidence.

Is it credible that the DI asked Adams to give a witness permission to give evidence? A witness that SF told the gardai about in the first place?
    :):)

Spin that one, as they say.

This may be off, Garda want Brady, have witness but are reticent because witness is member of SF and all likelihood judge will be paid up member of FG, it's all political posturing from every angle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

How could these lowlifes ever be allowed hold the justice portfolio in government?

Decades of experience holding the Summary Justice portfolio, no?

if you read the link the SF councillor approached the guard about the witness, there seemed to be some reticence with the Gardai in accepting the witness because he was a member of SF, in the end the evidence wasn't used anyway

You are reading it wrong. Very wrong

Direct from the article

"The witness wanted to help but told the detective that, as he was a Sinn Féin member, he was “not sure where he stood” about making an official statement without permission, said Mr Marry."

It really makes you cringe when you see them looking for reform of the Special Criminal Court in one breath and then standing plain face in Dáil Eireann throwing mud at honest politicians trying to run the country. The worst is that people are voting for these scumbags as a viable alternative, voters are lapping up their tripe, scary enough.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

It really makes you cringe when you see them looking for reform of the Special Criminal Court in one breath and then standing plain face in Dáil Eireann throwing mud at honest politicians trying to run the country. The worst is that people are voting for these scumbags as a viable alternative, voters are lapping up their tripe, scary enough.

There's a small band of crazies foaming at the lips wanting rivers of blood to avenge ancestral pain.

But I think the majority voting for Sinn Fein are just looking for any old party to reduce property prices. The only reason why they're going for Sinn Fein is because (1) that's what Sinn Fein say they'll do (2) they're a big party and (3) they aren't FF or FG.

That's about it really, I think. I don't think that most people care about anything else in relation to the party in general, for better or worse. I don't see Sinn Fein exhibiting any expertise in terms of housing, but to be fair I can't say I can see any other opposition party being markedly better on that front.

There's a small band of crazies foaming at the lips wanting rivers of blood to avenge ancestral pain.

But I think the majority voting for Sinn Fein are just looking for any old party to reduce property prices. The only reason why they're going for Sinn Fein is because (1) that's what Sinn Fein say they'll do (2) they're a big party and (3) they aren't FF or FG.

That's about it really, I think. I don't think that most people care about anything else in relation to the party in general, for better or worse. I don't see Sinn Fein exhibiting any expertise in terms of housing, but to be fair I can't say I can see any other opposition party being markedly better on that front.

Spin again please.

Nothing like a bit of "uisce faoi thalamh" to solve the housing crisis. Like voting Sinn Féin is going to stop the predicament of demand and supply?

The spoofology just never ends.

"So Oisín, would you prefer a transtional society run by paramiltaries and hoods, the bhoys told me they were gonna scalp the price a houses like? "

Get a grip.

Spin again please.

Nothing like a bit of "uisce faoi thalamh" to solve the housing crisis. Like voting Sinn Féin is going to stop the predicament of demand and supply?

"So Oisín, would you prefer a transtional society run by paramiltaries and hoods, the bhoys told me they were gonna scalp the price a houses like? "

Get a grip.

Would you rather buy, rent/lease privately to use as social housing or build social housing? Which is the better deal for the tax payer?

Spin again please.

Get a grip.

Is this the FG donations from the Monk?

Or reassurance that the Gardai could be trusted.
    The 'Gardai' who were handed this witness by a SF rep, the Gardai who apparently turned to Adams for help. If you believe that Adams at the time was the head of a Mafia like organisation of crims....you know what that means don't you?

Again, that's not what happened though is it?

Even if it was, your only making sf look bad by claiming it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I just read the article in the link, evidence wasn't used anyway , my reading was that because the witness was a member of SF he thought this would be an issue for the Gardai not SF .

Now that was good for a laugh. That is the most bizarre interpretation I have read to date, but well done for the imaginative defence of Sinn Fein.

If that was the case, he would have asked the Gardai if that was an issue for them, not Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement

Is this the FG donations from the Monk?

The monk has no criminal convictions and was tax compliant. Kinda like Gerry and the boys

Advertisement