Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein Omerta

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

maccored wrote: »
    Brady is from Strabane is he not?

Belfast born and raised in Strabane. Hated it as he was a blow-in. Headed for Dublin as soon as he could.

Apropos of nothing in particular...Myself and his parents spent a hair raising afternoon facing the wall in the shed at Strabane checkpoint as the BA stripped their car down in a search.
    I had gotten a lift with them through Paul's brother whom I knew. They were heading to Dublin for the launch of Brady's album after Hard Station...can't remember the name of it, innocuous second album stuff.
    The routine intimidation was bizarre thinking back...Brady's dad had just said something that was taken the wrong way by the squaddie or else they knew him.

Fair enough they needed to search the car...no need for the standing against the wall and abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Belfast born and raised in Strabane. Hated it as he was a blow-in. Headed for Dublin as soon as he could.

Apropos of nothing in particular...Myself and his parents spent a hair raising afternoon facing the wall in the shed at Strabane checkpoint as the BA stripped their car down in a search.
    I had gotten a lift with them through Paul's brother whom I knew. They were heading to Dublin for the launch of Brady's album after Hard Station...can't remember the name of it, innocuous second album stuff.
    The routine intimidation was bizarre thinking back...Brady's dad had just said something that was taken the wrong way by the squaddie or else they knew him.

Fair enough they needed to search the car...no need for the standing against the wall and abuse.

Year ago heading to bundoran, the same thing happened us. I have vague recollections of it but they took my dads car to bits and put it back together again.

Admittedly they apparently (according to my dad) put it back better than it was to begin with, but we never got to bundoran. took 6 hours to 'search' the car and when they were finished we had to head back home again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Computers in 1986. Not that its any of your concern. Dont give up the day job btw - the comedy act is terrible

Computers my eye.

There were no computer courses in Derry in the 80's, not for catholics anyway. :p

There were no computers in Omagh then either, don't lie. Or Magherafelt or Strabane.

At least be honest about slow dancing to Spandau Ballet with the Prody skirt though, everyone did it.

"So true, funny how it seems"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I don't like Australians either.

Fee Fie Foe Fum and all that. They're rude as well you know. ( The Aussies ).

I know some Australians that were made to leave Australia by Australians. At this stage, I cannot say for sure if Sinn Fein had any connection to their plight.

Computers my eye.

There were no computer courses in Derry in the 80's, not for catholics anyway. :p

There were no computers in Omagh then either, don't lie. Or Magherafelt or Strabane.

At least be honest about slow dancing to Spandau Ballet with the Prody skirt though, everyone did it.

now who's lying. Strand Road, South East College of Education (i think it was called), 1986. Dont try to tell me there was no computing courses because I was on one, ye eejit

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Year ago heading to bundoran, the same thing happened us. I have vague recollections of it but they took my dads car to bits and put it back together again.

Admittedly they apparently (according to my dad) put it back better than it was to begin with, but we never got to bundoran. took 6 hours to 'search' the car and when they were finished we had to head back home again

I reckon you only heard of Bundoran after watching Derry Girls.

You wouldn't know the breeze in Rossnowlagh if you ask me.

I reckon you only heard of Bundoran after watching Derry Girls.

You wouldn't know the breeze in Rossnowlagh is you ask me.

very boring is Rossnowlagh. At least in Bundoran there were shops that you could get ripped off in with their £1 = 1 punt craic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

McMurphy wrote: »
    I know some Australians that were made to leave Australia by Australians. At this stage, I cannot say for sure if Sinn Fein had any connection to their plight.

funny that , I ve met some Irish who were forced to flee to Australian by SF IRA

I met one lad who reckons it was knee caps or the boat to England for the crime of buying weed off a unsanctioned dealer

no proof of course but then again neither do any of you folks

Computers my eye.

How the BBC Micro started a computing revolution

BBC Micro was introduced in 1981 iirc, and was highly popular in the UK and the Norths education system.

1986 would have been 5 years after it was invented and possibly at the Micros peak of popularity, not to mention the language it used (Basic) was also popular, in fact I remember back when I went to college, having to have some knowledge of it before we could move on to the more mainstream one then (which was pascal)

He did say 1986, and not 1968, right?

mynamejeff wrote: »
    funny that , I ve met some Irish who were forced to flee to Australian by SF IRA

I met one lad who reckons it was knee caps or the boat to England for the crime of buying weed off a unsanctioned dealer

**Whoosh Jeff**

thats-the-joke-son-youmissedit-flew-right-byya-memegenerator-net-thats-51069970.png

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    How the BBC Micro started a computing revolution

BBC Micro was introduced in 1981 iirc, and was highly popular in the UK and the Norths education system.

1986 would have been 5 years after it was invented and possibly at the Micros peak of popularity, not to mention the language it used (Basic) was also popular, in fact I remember back when I went to college, having to have some knowledge of it before we could move on to the more mainstream one then (which was pascal)

He did say 1986, and not 1968, right?

on the course I was on it was all terminals and mainframes and printing paper with green strips

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

How could these lowlifes ever be allowed hold the justice portfolio in government?

It’s called democracy, if they get enough votes then they can get the portfolio.

You do believe in democracy don’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

mynamejeff wrote: »

I love a good old episode of Jackanory.

i always thought good grass was meant to blow the head of ye - not kneecaps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Bowie wrote: »
    People fighting for freedom and equality can be a fly in the ointment of peace alright.
    Israel will have peace when they destroy the Palestinians.
    Do you think the civil rights movement would have gotten anywhere on it's own? They likely would have been burnt out and murdered before anyone got to hear about them. Speaking of far flung history, you know what the BA did in india right?

Excellant whataboutery.

We have India and Israel thrown into this short paragraph.

In answer to your question
    Do you think the civil rights movement would have gotten anywhere

Yes, I do, in fact, I believe they would have had peace and civil rights well before if the Provos weren't intent on killing and murdering all around them.

You mention India, do you know-how Gandhi achieved the liberation of India?

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, I do, in fact, I believe they would have had peace and civil rights well before if the Provos weren't intent on killing and murdering all around them.

well that didnt work out too well with bloody sunday

Such mythmaking that goes on. These guys think they are in a movie.

I smoked blow in my day and bought it on the back streets of Belfast, Dublin and on both sides of the border (you know that other mythical place...living in the fear of the local RA overlord) it didn't matter if the guy selling it was belting out the sash me granny wore or the Wolfe Tones. 'Sanctioned drug dealers'.... :D:D:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @IAMAMORON - take 48 hours away from the thread. If you return with the sole purpose of winding people up, the next threadban will be permanent.

Excellant whataboutery.

Ah great...here we have the 'taigs should have waited patiently until the Unionists and British got around to being democrats' theory, in all it's glory. :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

you must be loving the online army threads so bobby lol

some boys to derail a threads aren't they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I have a question. Is the only reason SF wouldn’t enact this bill because they wanted convicted terrorists to also get a pay out?

Hubertj wrote: »
    I have a question. Is the only reason SF wouldn’t enact this bill because they wanted convicted terrorists to also get a pay out?

I think you should read the Stormont House Agreement if you want an idea of the issue.

i think what they were saying was that if people who colluded with the security forces in causing the deaths of catholics (many totally innocent) get the pension, then so should everyone.

surely thats a valid point to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Excellant whataboutery.

So you're telling us that the British were being reasonable in the North and all could have been solved peacefully. Tell me this. Why then did the Fianna Fail government under jack lynch in 1970 have the Irish Army draft plans for a temporary invasion of Northern Ireland with the goal of rescuing Catholics?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Armageddon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Ah great...here we have the 'taigs should have waited patiently until the Unionists and British got around to being democrats' theory, in all it's glory. :):)

I raised India because:
    The Jallianwala Bagh massacre, also known as the Amritsar massacre, took place on 13 April 1919, when Acting Brigadier-General Reginald Dyer ordered troops of the British Indian Army to fire their rifles into a crowd of unarmed Indian civilians[3] in Jallianwala Bagh, Amritsar, Punjab, killing at least 379 people and injuring over 1,200 other people.

On Sunday, 13 April 1919, Dyer, convinced a major insurrection could take place, banned all meetings. This notice was not widely disseminated, and many villagers gathered in the Bagh to celebrate the important Indian festival of Baisakhi, and peacefully protest the arrest and deportation of two national leaders

It pertains to the idea that equality and democracy would have come about after some peaceful protests, (ones were the protesters we'rent shot I imagine).
    It's like discussing East Germany and people crying foul if you mention the Stasi or Russia.

Here's a John Hume clip as we're not allowed make outside comparisons.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1290218330540789765

Theory?

Look at Scotland, the SNP didn't have to kill anyone to get their shot at independence Francie.
    Ghandi's achievements in India are well documented.

There are numerous examples of non-violent opposition achieving results, but some people just cannot even believe that such a possibility could even exist because then they have to ask the harder questions.... why on earth did SF/IRA go ahead and kill all those men, women and children when the same thing could have been achieved without all the murder.

Essentially, yes.

SF want their terrorist buddies on the state payroll along with all the people their buddies maimed and injured.

They got a rebuke from the courts last week and then we had the sectarian mask slip last night from an elected SF MLA.

smurgen wrote: »
    So you're telling us that the British were being reasonable in the North and all could have been solved peacefully. Tell me this. Why then did the Fianna Fail government under jack lynch in 1970 have the Irish Army draft plans for a temporary invasion of Northern Ireland with the goal of rescuing Catholics?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Armageddon

Tell me, when the BA was deployed in the North, were they not welcomed by the Nationalist population?
    They were also welcomed by the IRA because the IRA was useless at protecting its own population and people.

Essentially, yes.

SF want their terrorist buddies on the state payroll along with all the people their buddies maimed and injured.

They got a rebuke from the courts last week and then we had the sectarian mask slip last night from an elected SF MLA.

Complete lie.
    It's a complex issue for anyone who is interested. Still haven't gotten my head around it all if truth be known, so cannot talk about. Unlike some jumping to the Daily Mail version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Essentially, yes.

But aren't most of the IRA on MI5 pensions already?
    Would this payroll come from taxation or the Empire magic money tree? Is NI not part of the UK now?

Advertisement