Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein Omerta

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Where is the IRA involvement here?

Have you completely jumped the shark? If the IRA were involved then why have the Gardai not informed the government of that. They have duties under the GFA if the IRA are still operational.

Are you insinuating the Gardai are covering up an IRA crime here? What are you saying?

Its quite clear the only thing this story is for is more shinner ballbaggery.
    If PBP handed FG their arse and put the FF/FG party in jeopardy we'd be reading about them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

SF councillor brought the witness to the guard's in the first place, my only reading would be to check that this guard could be trusted, would imagine there rivalry in the diesel laundering industry and every guard has a side line.

This is the best one ever.

Cops are now involved in a diesel smuggling shakedown?

Gotta love it, I would say Slab is shighting in his pants alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

IAMAMORON wrote: »

Look up the Morris tribunal,

• Registered Users Posts: 69,176 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yawn, you know full well what I am saying. The mere fact that a member felt the need to go to the party leadership before talking to the Gardai tells the story of a state within a state. Not a good look at all.

Bowie's comparison of a schoolchild seeking advice from the school principal before going to the police is an apt one, and shows the control that Sinn Fein have over its members.

We must run a competition sometime that compares silly/mis-informed/illegal/ actions of party members and try and pin it on the party in general.

I think you know yourself what a nonsense this all is blanch. Your stretching is giving you away.

Ever ask yourself why there hasn't been a crackdown on this activity...it isn't exactly an operation you can carry on discreetly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

SF councillor brought the witness to the guard's in the first place, my only reading would be to check that this guard could be trusted, would imagine there rivalry in the diesel laundering industry and every guard has a side line.

Potential witness feels the need to check with SF before giving evidence against criminal from Crossmaglen with murky associates and shinnerbots here claim it's to check if an Garda can be trusted. LOL

I wonder if the prosecution witnesses who failed to give evidence in the Jerry McCabe murder trial also consulted with their local republicans to check if "an Garda could be trusted". Or perhaps they were offered advice on that matter without actually asking for it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/new-laws-on-witness-intimidation-follow-mccabe-case-controversy-1.150964

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Ever ask yourself why there hasn't been a crackdown on this activity...it isn't exactly an operation you can carry on discreetly.

Maybe because witnesses seek permission from SF first!

jh79 wrote: »
    Maybe because witnesses seek permission from SF first!

Why would they need witnesses to raid a fuel laundering operation?

You should mention to your local SF rep that you suspect there is Garda collusion with the Diesel Smuggling, especially if you think it should be brought to the attention of the Dept of Justice? In fact if you are aware of any such state sponsored racketeering you should report it as being the good upstanding citizen you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

rdwight wrote: »
    Potential witness feels the need to check with SF before giving evidence against criminal from Crossmaglen with murky associates and shinnerbots here claim it's to check if an Garda can be trusted. LOL

I wonder if the prosecution witnesses who failed to give evidence in the Jerry McCabe murder trial also consulted with their local republicans to check if "an Garda could be trusted". Or perhaps they were offered advice on that matter without actually asking for it.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/new-laws-on-witness-intimidation-follow-mccabe-case-controversy-1.150964

Why bring witness to Garda in first place then, again if you want examples of intimidation read the Morris tribunal report or just phone big Frank.

• Advertisement

Why would they need witnesses to raid a fuel laundering operation?

Need witnesses for a prosecution generally. Lets say farmer A saw a local "Good Republican" dump waste in a river, rang Gerry and Gerry said he's one of ours you saw nothing.

How about another example? Pub full of SF members and a man gets gutted on the orders of a "Good Republican" and nobody in the pub saw anything......oh wait that actually happened!

You should mention to your local SF rep that you suspect there is Garda collusion with the Diesel Smuggling, especially if you think it should be brought to the attention of the Dept of Justice? In fact if you are aware of any such state sponsored racketeering you should report it as being the good upstanding citizen you are?

I don't have any info, just a question. like the one in the Kevin Lunney case. It amasses me that 8 years of incidents can go by in this area without a single arrest, intimidating roadsigns can be up along a public road and suddenly on the say so of a higher authority and under public pressure the Gardai can act on these things. Loads of other questions on that one but I won't divert the thread.

Odd.

Need witnesses for a prosecution generally. Lets say farmer A saw a local "Good Republican" dump waste in a river, rang Gerry and Gerry said he's one of ours you saw nothing.

How about another example? Pub full of SF members and a man gets gutted on the orders of a "Good Republican" and nobody in the pub saw anything......oh wait that actually happened!

But we know Gerry said no such thing in this case. Why would he do it in a fuel launderng one?

A decent prolonged series of roadblocks would shut down fuel laundering unless they figure a way to move it in 5 gallon drums...or a series of stings on those buying it and having it dellivered...but nothing like that ever happens.

But we know Gerry said no such thing in this case. Why would he do it in a fuel launderng one?

A decent prolonged series of roadblocks would shut down fuel laundering unless they figure a way to move it in 5 gallon drums...or a series of stings on those buying it and having it dellivered...but nothing like that ever happens.

But we do have "omerta" from SF the night McCartney was murdered by the IRA and now a member looking for permission to give evidence for a murder. Throw in the guy who testified against "Good Republican" Slab who ended up getting a spike through the face and the witness who changed his mind in the trial for the murder of Garda McCabe.

Bit of a pattern here Francie.

But we do have "omerta" from SF the night McCartney was murdered by the IRA and now a member looking for permission to give evidence for a murder. Throw in the guy who testified against "Good Republican" Slab who ended up getting a spike through the face and the witness who changed his mind in the trial for the murder of Garda McCabe.

Bit of a pattern here Francie.

Firstly he didn't have evidence on the murder, his evidence related to hearing the defendant say he murdered Garda Donohue.

And you still haven't pointed out what SF did wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Jesus, that hole is getting very deep.

Firstly he didn't have evidence on the murder, his evidence related to hearing the defendant say he murdered Garda Donohue.

And you still haven't pointed out what SF did wrong here?

Go back to my first post on this, i said they did nothing wrong in this case but that it highlighted a culture among SF that they protect their own and hence why the guy felt the need to get permission in case "Good Republicans" were involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/sinn-f%C3%A9in-witness-consulted-party-over-aaron-brady-case-before-speaking-to-garda%C3%AD-1.4332502

Very strange case here. A witness in a murder trial of a member of AGS refused to speak to police without first checking with the powers that be in Sinn Fein.

That's not normal behaviour for a political party. That's how criminal organisations like the Mafia operate.

Anyone else think this is disgraceful carry on?
    It’s not really strange at all, you’re aware there’s a border there and people are still alive that were involved in paramilitary behaviour not too long ago? Luckily it’s dying out and will gone soon, but you’re essentially playing dumb in order to bash sinfein

Go back to my first post on this, i said they did nothing wrong in this case but that it highlighted a culture among SF that they protect their own and hence why the guy felt the need to get permission in case "Good Republicans" were involved.

And a link to how you know the last bit?

I will remind you here that my theory is that many people do not trust the Gardai or PSNI and sometimes that will be individuals within the force known for bias and with agendas.

That is how it is and it is a fairly routine post conflict/war phenomime that takes time to disappear.
    I also said if a DI came to Adams and asked for help and got it that that was a fairly seismic event and should be loudly applauded. You either want your political reps to build trust or you don't.

I will remind you here that my theory is that many people do not trust the Gardai or PSNI and sometimes that will be individuals within the force known for bias and with agendas.

That is how it is and it is a fairly routine post conflict/war phenomime that takes time to disappear.
    I also said if a DI came to Adams and asked for help and got it that that was a fairly seismic event and should be loudly applauded. You either want your political reps to build trust or you don't.

Ceasefire is now 23 years old and the GFA signed in 1998. People have been in and out of prison for murder in the meantime?

This is an excuse for citizens not contacting the Gards or PSNI as a result of bearing witness to a crime?

Where actually are Sinn Féin on crime across the 32 counties at this point? What comes first, human rights or a united Ireland? Where are Sinn Féin on this one question?

• Advertisement

Ceasefire is now 23 years old and the GFA signed in 1998. People have been in and out of prison for murder in the meantime?

This is an excuse for citizens not contacting the Gards or PSNI as a result of bearing witness to a crime?

Where actually are Sinn Féin on crime across the 32 counties at this point? What comes first, human rights or a united Ireland? Where are Sinn Féin on this one question?

Well we know two reps did their duty and what the party said they would do in the matter of the Garda murder.

It's a theory based on past occurrences.

Also where are you getting the idea that the detective asked for help rather than the witness asking for permission from Adams?

It's a theory based on past occurrences.

Also where are you getting the idea that the detective asked for help rather than the witness asking for permission from Adams?

SF said that was what happened today.

Nobody to my knowledge has contradicted it.

The retired senior detective told the Irish Independent: "He wasn't sure about making a statement at all. I talked him around that it was the right thing to do.

"He said he was a Sinn Féin member and that he had to get sanction," Mr Marry said.

The investigator made contact with Antóin Watters, who said that this would 'have to come from head office' according to Mr Marry.

He then contacted a Sinn Fein TD, who he did not name, and was told that the party "would do anything" to help the guards.

The TD informed Pat Marry that the witness "is one of us" and that they "got word to him to make a statement and cooperate".

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/witness-in-adrian-donohoe-murder-trial-consulted-with-former-sinn-fein-leader-gerry-adams-before-providing-information-to-gardai-39459065.html

The retired senior detective told the Irish Independent: "He wasn't sure about making a statement at all. I talked him around that it was the right thing to do.

"He said he was a Sinn Féin member and that he had to get sanction," Mr Marry said.

The investigator made contact with Antóin Watters, who said that this would 'have to come from head office' according to Mr Marry.

He then contacted a Sinn Fein TD, who he did not name, and was told that the party "would do anything" to help the guards.

The TD informed Pat Marry that the witness "is one of us" and that they "got word to him to make a statement and cooperate".

Which confirms what SF said, the TD was obviously Adams.

Not only did the witness think he needed permission so did the other guy.

Not only did the witness think he needed permission so did the other guy.

The other guy's sanction was obviously not enough for the member to talk.
    Now was a sanction neccessary or was the member deluded?

The other guy immediately, without seeking sanction informed the Gardai...see where this is going?

Which confirms what SF said, the TD was obviously Adams.

The detective didn't ask for help from Gerry. The witness and the councillor went to head office for permission and Gerry personally gave that permission.

The detective didn't ask for help from Gerry. The witness and the councillor went to head office for permission and Gerry personally gave that permission.

Where are you getting that from?
    If the TD was Adams, this tallies exactly with what SF said happened.

He then contacted a Sinn Fein TD, who he did not name, and was told that the party "would do anything" to help the guards

• Advertisement

The other guy's sanction was obviously not enough for the member to talk.
    Now was a sanction neccessary or was the member deluded?

The other guy immediately, without seeking sanction informed the Gardai...see where this is going?

Problem is Francie we don't know what could of happened if Brady was better connected.

It's not that long since the SF omerta around the McCartney murder.

Advertisement